Sign in to follow this  
TeckniX

1jz VVTi turbo control valve/boost solenoid (cheap ebc)

I may have tossed mine in the trash a long time ago, but some recent digging (I know it was done on 3si circa 2005) got me to look-up cheap EBC.

While I was looking over some 1JZ vvti pictures and noticed that there is some type of control valve right above the 'expansion chamber' (blue plug)

1jz%20vvti%20TCV.jpg

BOV1.jpg

It does seem to fit the 3 nipple boost solenoid feature, with a 2-wire type switch.

For those that still have it, what does it actually do in OEM/factory setup? Is this to 'bleed-off' excessive boost and bypass the DV?

The idea is to hook it up as a proper boost solenoid:

30670449-vacuum-lines.jpg

And use the EMU to control the duty-cycle and get full wastegate (0%) or full boost (100% bleed) on it.

Thoughts?

if that diagram is correct and those are where the vacuum lines going to that noid go, you just found the factory 3-port EBCS

leave it hooked up exactly like that. add duty cycle to build boost.

the way it works is at rest it lets boost pressure go from the boost signal port on the turbo compressor cover (red) to the wastegate actuator to open the gate. when energized, it blocks off the boost signal and opens the wastegate actuator to atmosphere, removing the pressure from the top of the wastegate actuator and holding the gate shut.

if that diagram is correct and those are where the vacuum lines going to that noid go, you just found the factory 3-port EBCS

leave it hooked up exactly like that. add duty cycle to build boost.

the way it works is at rest it lets boost pressure go from the boost signal port on the turbo compressor cover (red) to the wastegate actuator to open the gate. when energized, it blocks off the boost signal and opens the wastegate actuator to atmosphere, removing the pressure from the top of the wastegate actuator and holding the gate shut.

This one is hooked to the 'expansion chamber', the top of the Diverter valve and I believe the turbo compressor side. I don't think it's hooked to the wastegate side, but the idea is to use it as you described.

oh fuck okay I get it now.

I say try it, we know it's a solenoid with a flow rate on the order of what you need and it's got a coil voltage appropriate for automotive use, plus it's already there. If it's too slow, worst case scenario is you go to grainger and get a solenoid for $25 to replace it.

Just use a fucking Mac valve like everybody else. Also, I don't remember seeing a map in the emanage that's gonna allow you to do what you think you are.

Also also, emanage sucks. I mean, it's alright, I liked it enough, but they're finicky, they don't age well, and it's not worth the hassle and all the extra shit in your car to run it unless it was damn near free. And even then, it will create problems at some point. My favorite is loss of connectivity during logging/tuning.

The Emanage doesn't have a dedicated function for it, but you can use one of the 'features' for it. The idea is to use the Channel A/B sub-injector map to control the solenoid.

1908022_10152525663939714_10430693619999

The duty cycle allows the solenoid to open/close like an injector and bleed off the % of air shown above. 0% don't bleed anything, you're on wastegate spring, 100% bleed all that you can, allowing for more boost.

I've had the Emanage ultimate in the car since I was NA, so it is 'free' and what has allowed me to get the car moving around. I am switching over to the stock 1JZ ecu for simplicity, but the 'free' setup of an ebc had me thinking.

I'll have to read up on how the MAC is wired in and controlled if no ems is used? I just didn't want to spend $30 on a solenoid, if I already had one in the parts bin :D

electronic control with no feedback is going to suck cock, get a megasquirt or AEM box

Sign in to follow this