Sign in to follow this  
Dirty_Rotor

x7 Drive shaft issues

BACK STORY

So a month or two ago i started getting a clunking noise from my car that kept getting louder the faster I went got under the car and found that the bolts between the carrier bearing (is that what its called) and the mid u joint were loose.

I through some high grade bolts and nylon nuts on there tightened up and called it a day while i was down there i noticed that the car had been slammed at some point and possibly 5 speed so guessed that maybe they hadnt bothered to mark the driveshaft when or if they disattached.

PROBLEM

Any way I didnt really fix the problem and a few days ago it bit me in the ass with no warning 3 of the 4 bolts were gone and the drive shaft started throwing itself around held by one bolt i tow it home throw on new bolts with locktite and now im still getting a light knock from the shaft got back down there and it seams like the carrier bearing mount (? like a small version of the trans mount) is a little loose but no amount of ratcheting will tighten it or seem to loosen it.

QUESTION

are there nuts on top?

Where can i find this mount/bushing thing

How the fuck do u replace that bearing thing?

Should I have Paraphrased this whole thing?

I normaly would say who cares im dropping a w58 in but I guess i need the part that are broken

anything that helps is greatly appriciated I need this back on the road so i can get to my new job to pay for a one piece in the far future

The threaded insert in the body is probably fucked up by the force of the drivesaft flopping around. Also, don't ever use Nylock's on something the gets hot. The nylon will melt and then the positive pressure from tightening the bolt will be gone... as you figured out. Lock washers and a little dab of loctite is all you should need.

As for the carrier bearing stuff, if the threaded insert is fucked... one-piece driveshaft.

"little dab of loctite" on something that gets over 250 degrees is as useless as titts on a boar hog.

Best way to lossen something that has been set with loctite, is to heat it, I do it all the time.

So I just replaced the support bearing there is a bolt/retainer in the center of the shaft.

the car rides so much smoother now if you're car is riding ruff I would suggest looking at this bearing.

Sign in to follow this