MX83MISSILE

LS1UZ project

I swear, I am always the fucking death of any thread, 1UZ. I WANT THIS TO FUCKING HAPPEN. NOTHING THAT I LIKE HAPPENS. I WILL UNHAPPEN A MOTHERFUCKER!!!! GIVE ME A MOTHERFUCKER, I WILL UNHAPPEN HIS FUCK ASS.

This is the cam sensor I built to test , I will be building another one as well in case this one don't work out . The 1x cam relucktor will be welded to the back of the right pulley . Sorry for the delay I'm waiting for my buddy to get the machine work on the crankshaft relucktor done as soon as I get it back I will post up more pictures .

post-24-0-33224300-1407699663_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-86316400-1407699707_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-67203700-1407699733_thumb.jpg

Very nice project. Super cheap "standalone option" for 1UZ.

but why not use the distributor for that cam sensor?

All you need is a 12V hall sensor that fits in somewhere on the stock cap (through one of the wire connectors?) - And the rotor (needs to have some metal in it, standard rotor copper is not magnetic) just needs to pass the sensor inside.

Just a thought though.

Radial... look at the original camshaft position sensor on the 1uz and you'll realize how your "distributor" idea is fucking retarded.

I was trying to understand why there was a need to use a different camshaft position sensor but I know nothing about LS standalone bullshit. Might need a slightly different reading than what the original 1uz sensor would provide.

I'm using the right side cam sensor bracket modified to except a ls2 cam position sensor and a custom 1x reluctor timed for the 1uz and welded to the back of the right side cam pulley because there is more room behind the right side pulley than the left . As for the ls1pcm it has no idea it is on a 1uz and will run fine as long as it sees the GM sensors it is programmed for . I'm confident that the engine will work right out the box it's the auto transmission that is most challenging , but it's not a deal breaker as I will use a R or W series 5speed if I can't make it work . I'm expecting the crank reluctor back from the machine shop next week and I will be modifying a 1uz oil pump to except a Chevy l21 454 big block crank angle sensor . I will post pictures of these parts as soon as I can and hopefully get this project back in high gear again . Once again I apologize for the delay my buddy's dad is doing the machine work and he is retired and works at a slower pace than I do .

subscribed. going back and forth between tossing my uz or jz into my hilux.. if you get this going, the uz has a slighter edge! i was looking into this after daft did it, but all this stuff got too confusing.

you guys a little behind the curve? rich at daft innovations and I did this years ago.

The thread from lextreme was already linked on page 1.

You guys did a great first. Let's see something more repeatable.

I personally don't like the welding thing for that reason. Most people can't find a decent enough weldor to weld on an engine block.

2quik: share, explain, or make a cost effective product... or Fuck off.

Hi 4U2QUIK your LS setup is one of the inspirations for my setup , I emailed daft innovations about this setup to inquire about purchasing one of your 1x reluctor and cam position sensor . Also thanks for the constructive criticism, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but like they say there is more than one way to skin a cat . I would rather try a new configuration or buy one of yours than copy the one you labored to design and build . Also I'm building the 1x reluctor on the back side of the right pulley so I can use the same setup on first gen 2uzfe head as well . If you have any of these parts for sale please let me know . Thanks in advance !

ok now that I've yanked your chain a little, The biggest issue I saw was with your crank reluctor setup. You have to use the gm unit as it's a stereo reluctor sensor. so not only does it have two channels (for both of the 24X patterns on the one wheel,) it also has to be clocked correctly. As for the cam sensor almost anything fly's as long as you have a half on half off setup on the wheel.

also, I replaced the crank pickup bracket with a billet unit that just bolts on. I can post pictures later after I get home. ( Right now I'm wasting the last few minutes at work hahaha) If I have any left I can sell it to you. You'll still need to make a pulley or adapt the 24x reluctor wheel as I definitely do not have any extra pulleys left and I don't have time right now to turn one out.

another thing I was just thinking about that wasn't brought up is firing order, the lsx and the uzx engines have a different firing order, so you will have to re-pin your ecu plug in order to get both spark and fuel in the right order. On older batch fire injection systems this wouldn't be all that important, if at all, but the lsx series is fully sequential from idle to max rpm. (really good for running huge injectors without idle issues.

Thanks for all your replies 4U2QUIK . I am machining the Lexus crank reluctor and the Chevy crank reluctor from a L21 454 to fit together like a miniature adjustable cam gear so I can rotate the Chevy crank reluctor 360 degrees to accommodate the fixed location I will be placing the crank angle sensor from the same L21 454 . Once I have it working my plans are to have a fat one piece single row 24x reluctor either water jet or CNC plasma cut to fit the 1uz crank . I hope to see the parts soon , I will post up pictures as soon as I get it together .

I don't think you get what I was saying. you can't just mash up the 24x pattern into one row. There's a company that shrunk the pattern down into a smaller size so you could adapt the system to older 350 engines, and it still uses the dual pattern. The computer has to see two different signals coming from the crank sensor, and the lsx crank sensor has two sensors inside of it that read both sides of the wheel, sending two different signals to the ecu.

if you go to the newer 58x system this isn't a issue. you just run it like any other reluctor wheel

This is the exact same Chevy crank reluctor and crank angle sensor they use on a L21 454 and it is the one you would use to convert a 454 to lsx pcm . I'm confident it will work for me the same way it works for the 454 . Pictured hear is the crank angle sensor and reluctor I am using , the reluctor mounted on an old 454 and the L21 454 vortec that I sourced the parts from .

post-24-0-05559800-1408652545_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-50215000-1408652738_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-76065000-1408652763.jpg

nevermind I see the dual pattern, guess it was just a bad angle on your original pic, my bad lol.

There's a guy on the 3rd gen 350 forums that did a conversions awhile back and he tried to do a single pattern into one at first. But now the same guy sells small wheels that he machines. www.eficonnection.com

I'm not 100% but I believe to use a fat single row reluctor you would run a crank angle sensor from a lt1 . I went this route because I know it will work and I can get to fit under the stock plastic covers on any non vvt-i uz motor or combination of non vvt-i block and non vvt-i heads .I have been thinking of 2uz top end on a 1uz long block . I like the forward facing manifold , the shim under bucket heads with logic based coils and the level intake ports for mounting the TRD blower or ITB's .

The fat single row is from the older lt systems. The 24x 2 row system is the weirdest shit I've come across. You have to have the pickup rotated the correct direction axially in addition to the normal rotation about the crank.