timtiminy

X8 w/ JZ ( LS400 fan clutch w/ 7m fan)

So I was looking around and saw that people use the LS400 fan clutch with the 7m fan on their JZ swapped X8. A lot of people complain about it being always locked. Driftmotion sells the clutch with lighter viscous fluid in it to remedy this. http://www.driftmotion.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=dm724

Being a cheap ass... I've been thinking why pay the $100 they charge if this can be done ourselves.

Looking around I found this write-up on clublexus on disassembly and viscous fluid refill: http://m.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560775&styleid=13

Came across this article on Toyota fan clutch tuning: http://neuralfibre.com/paul/4wd/tuning-and-understanding-your-toyota-viscous-fan-clutch

Apparently Toyota offers 3,000cst 6,000cst and 10,000cst viscous fluid for this purpose. Doing a little more searching I found that the RC community uses the same viscous fluid in their diffs from 50-500,000cst values. I guess some playing around with different weights you could have your fan clutch do what you want. I figure driftmotion probably uses the 3000cst fluid... No way to really know though. The RC stuff is cheaper than buying the factory Toyota fluid which is cool too.

Oh and there's rumor a fan clutch from 02-04 V8 Tundras work as well, not sure the differences of clearance it gives in comparison to the LS400 part.

Hoping this helps some people out there.

I was just about to ask this. I have easy access to 7m and LS400 fan shits. Im surely not paying 250$ for that shit.

Just picked up a good used clutch for $20 now just gotta get the fluid

LMK how the clearance is, or measure how far it sticks off the front cover of the motor, or some other measurable depth. Im going to do this on my X90 and wanna make sure I can use the stock location with stock rad.

you dudes are retarded. I bought a new clutch from orielly's 3 years ago, bolted on my 7m fan and my car has been doing hot laps while everyone else is doing cool down laps since then. my car never gets over 97* Celsius and i use a stock cressida shroud. works rad. fuck changing the viscous fluid and all that. just buy new one and be done.

this is true. i live in tx, drive hard and then sit idle in traffic. no fan shroud. works fine.

what about those of us with bigger rads that kinda want clutch fan back? wasn't there something somewhere about an NA 2J clutch with 7M fan or something?

Shit is retarded loud for a daily: track car is a different story.

Run ls400 as is then. Gfs sc with no shroud can idle all day long in Texas summer after bein beaten on and never creep on temp. I do think it might be taking a little power off the table, but it damn sure own get hot

but will it clear a mishimoto? It's pretty tight. I thought I read that the deal was that NA 2J was a bit shorter?

i have a mishimoto radiator in my car. it clears by about 1/2 an inch. last weekend i did a burnout for literally 5 minutes on limiter. no problems

Im using the LS400 (oem w/ tow package) fan clutch with 7m fan as well. The noise really isnt noticeable, considering Im also straight piped. I first ran it without a shroud. It ran cooler that 95% than all the temp thread I could find. I also read that it would be smart to put a shroud on. I did, and now runs a lot hotter. Im thinking about taking it back off. Just looks shitty without one.

BUMP. Which of these clutches for not truck sounds?

Also are shrouds still available?