Alright so I have a jzx100 1jz + auto trans, and I got a solstice trans (aisin version of an R15x) for cheap. While brainstorming I came up with this.

-Stock auto JZ bell, adapter plate similar to the 1uz/r154 adapter, solstice trans.

-Stock auto flywheel and starter, order a button flywheel for a 7.25" triple plate clutch from quartermaster. Get a used nascar 7.25 26-spline triple plate from ebay.

-Quartermaster concentric hyd. throwout bearing, machine front of adapter plate to fit.

Anyone interested in something like this? I can bring a JZ auto bell and a GM bell into work and measure them in the CMM machine to get the difficult parts measured, and then it's just figuring out thicknesses and getting prints from quartermaster for their hydro bearing. I figure if I'm going through the engineering to make one adapter, I might as well make a few.

Not me, that trans has lousy ratios, as I have mentioned in several threads here, and other forums.

I think it has a wider spread than the R154.

Too low of first, and too high of 5th.

Maybe a good trans for a 1UZ, for day-to-day type running, and getting good mileage.

That is what it was meant for.

im stupid but is this the ar5 trans? or is that even a different r154 cousin

How much is the material gonna run you? May be cool for you since labor is free and you're learning something, but I doubt the cost for resale would be better than stock parts

if I make it out of 4140 steel, I can't imagine the adapter material costing much more than $150-200 per plate. 420SS would be more, but probably still not awful. considering how much the JZ-R154 bell costs, and then how much you'd pay for an exedy or HKS triple, or even an aftermarket FW + 6-puck + PP, I feel like if I could keep the labor under $300-400 it wouldn't be awful.

that labor cost shouldn't be difficult to hit considering we're a mold shop tooled for exactly this sort of thing. instead of needing multiple setups and machines to do it (one version I've seen online uses a waterjet, then a mill, then a lathe), we could surface grind it to thickness, and then finish it complete with a front setup and a back setup on one NC mill..

What about the arse end of the AR5? Shifter location? Once it's all adapted will it blend? Sure there isn't just a better trans to adapt?

the shifter is further back than stock jzx81, and it's got a chevy output spline so it should be cheap/easy to have a driveshaft made. but I'm definitely open to suggestions if anyone knows of a cheap/sturdy 5 or 6 speed I should be working on instead

already stuff available for that isn't there? are they really that cheap/easy to find?

the V6 CTS uses a 6-speed aisin that looks pretty fucking beefy, and has a removable bell

well yeah the solstice trans is the same bellhousing pattern as the R154 so you can just buy a 1JZ bell and use the stock clutch assembly and throwout stuff with a chevy splined disc. I got mine with 7 miles on it for $300.

I just came up with this because I was thinking about easy ways to put a triple plate to it

Several GM cars use the AY6, but it does NOT have a removable bell.

The bell also forms the front half of the main case, just like the J160.

Not that big of a problem.

Take it off, set it in a mill.

Figure out at what point in the bell you will need to cut it, to match up with a cut Toyota bell, and whack it off.

If you plan ahead, indicate off the bearing bore, and machine a concentric lip on it to match up with one you machine on the 7M bell housing (you see, I am thinking ahead).

The sit one on the other, and weld up :)

Down side, they have a stupid low first.........

1st-4.17

2nd-2.19 3rd-1.49 4th-1.19 5th-1.00 6th-0.84 R -3.67

gordo, how does this sound?

1st Gear: 2.95:1
2nd Gear: 1.94:1
3rd Gear: 1.34:1
4th Gear: 1:1
5th Gear: 0.90:1

Nice !

What is it ?

Z33/V35 6 speed maybe?

already stuff available for that isn't there? are they really that cheap/easy to find?

If there is, show me where and I'll sell my R154.

Swim, you're dyslectic...........

That T5 has a 5th gear of .59, not .9

Typical 'merican V-shit crap.

Hope you do better when your setting up the program to run your adaptors :blink:

Yes there are adaptor kits for the z33/v35 trans, but the ones I've come across are 1500 plus for the adaptor kit alone. Plus a 600 dollar trans. Clutch. Not economically feasible.

Gordo, it's a built trans with an aftermarket gear set, lal

Yeah, your right, just run down their web site.

600HP, and excelent close ratios available.

Kyle mentioned something about a close ratio T5, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Maybe time to start selling the W58s I've been sitting on.

This is so dumb, also cts non v 6speed is glass.