Sign in to follow this  
Rainycityray

1uz help kinda stumped. X6

Hey homos. I am currently in the middle of swapping my x6 cressida with a 1uz it's set in but currently not bolted down almost. The problem I'm having is toyota was a bunch of fags with the cressida as they made it with a steering box instead if a rack. So my question is has anyone made a manifold for around the steering box, any pictures or help appreciated. I'm not afraid to convert it to a steering rack I'm already leaning that way. Thanks guys.

Do it, get it done, and post pictures.

We don't hold hands here.

It's your fucking build, not ours

I'd be willing to bet an Aussie has. Doesn't matter Gordon already have you the instructions.

couple of people have made it work in x3's which have steering boxes instead of racks. i am going to do my best to make a rack work, so we will see how it goes. i will share pics and info when you send your teenage sister or girlfriend to my house to live for a month.

Places like Summet, and Speedway Motors sell copies of the pinto racks to use in all sorts of cars,

I've even seen one in a Mk3 Supra.

Might be a good place to start.

Steering boxes are great for old trucks, but bull shit on high performance cars.

A friend of mine swapped a 1uz/w58 into his mx63. He swapped in a rack from a MR2. Don't remember which gen. There was a major issue with just slapping in the rack. The original mx63 steering column is not designed to be used with a rack. I think the steering shaft needed to be supported due to excessive slack and play. He tried to use a machined derilin bushing but it didn't work. His plan has to swap in a column from a yota equiped with a rack but he got married, threw the car in storage and moved with his wife to the Philippines for three years. That was a year ago.

I did get to drive the car before he left and it was insane. The power and sound from the car was made everyone giggle but the steering was scary.

It's coming to me now. The mx63 steering column more or less bolts directly to the steering box. It's mostly a rigid connection after considering the ragjoint. The mr2 rack (like most) has a u-joint connection between the rack and the column. This u-joint allows too much play in the column shaft. A shaft support of some kind will need to be fabbed.

Sign in to follow this