Guy Smiley

How to down-grade and up-grade at the same time.

Sooooooooooooo..........

2013 was one of the hardest years of my entire life. Full of awesome and tragic ups and downs. I lost my mother in February, but went on tour with my band in March, then my JZX83 got totaled while parked outside my house in May, then got cool sponsors and started building another cress for a daily, then in July my Father got diagnosed with a severely failing Liver, then went on a life changing vacation in Austin, TX in October, then lost my Grandmother in November, but finally got this new piece of shit on the road. Not trying to clammer for any sympathy, just wanted to get it out there that 2013 was a bitch.

jzx72_zps26d769f1.jpg

jzx71_zps7f11aee1.jpg

jzx7_zps5658c126.jpg

It's not the coolest thing in the world but it is really fun to drive and I really like it. Has coils, knuckles, tension rods, subframe/diff bushings and probably a few more things. And VVTi is really neat btw.

This is the car that got smooshed:

holsetjz_zpsed22eb4c.jpg

cressidaside2_zpsd23a59a2.jpg

cressidaside_zpsa1f9671b.jpg

I had been daily driving that thing for a few years (put over 50k miles on the swap) and then one night while cooking some nice food I heard a loud bang and my dog barked a bunch. Go outside to see a big black guy in an ES300 with a flat tire. I asked him if he was ok and then noticed a trail of fluid on the ground leading away from my car. That's when I realized he had hit my cress and made my car smash into my JZS161...

Needless to say I got REALLY mad... and called the cops. They came out and didn't find that he was under the influence of anything and wrote up a report for me. I think he was texting while driving and went to turn onto his street about 150ft too early. Went through about a month of hell with insurance trying to get what was right for the car, and in the end I got a fair amount, then bought the car back (obviously) for $600. Everyone scrambled to try and find me another X8 but I didn't want one. More on that later.

So as it is right now I am going to be daily driving the X7, am about done parting out the X8, will be building a different chassis for the 2JZGTE, and still have another 4 door in the works from looooong ago. Don't really know why I am posting this but who cares. I still have an X-chassis with a jz swap so you can't kick me out.

Thanks duuuuude. I'm going to be painting the X7 soon and need help on a color choice so please chime in. This car is going to be the XM parts guinea pig so for all you X7 guys, some cool shit should be coming soon. Not sure what exactly, but if there is anything to improve upon you know Rich will make it.

Shoulda hit me up when you were here in Austin, although I don't know how this shit hole of a place could change your life. It's not the town I grew up in, I hate it more and more every day. Saw a 1st gen 929 super fucking mint at the yard this weekend and thought of you. Looking forward to seeing yours even if it is 2nd gen.

Olive Green. check out the Ford Europe colour chips if you can. many fantastic colours..will make your life hell to pick a colour mind you.

Glad to hear you are doing well? My condolences for your loss's Guy

You all are a bunch of nice dudes.

2014 should be a fun one with everything I have planned.

Kyle:

I went to a 4 day Metal/Horror movie festival at Emo's/Antone's. It was put on by the former lead singer of Pantera and was just a bunch of kick ass horror flicks and awesome metal bands. So to me it was awesome. It was one of those things that happened just at the right time, and getting to hang out with people I've idolized since I was a kid was pretty surreal. Austin smells like shit though.

As far as the 929, mine is an 88'.

Rear camber will be one of the first things we look at. That big stupid swing arm is what holds this car back from a lot of improvements, but just give us a little bit...

Ah good. For some reason I thought you had a white gen2. I was looking at the cheesy rear suspension on that car, but I'm sure y'all will figure something out. I've only seen that one 929 in the yards in like the last 3 years. Craigslist is just as scarce, worse than cressidas

Yeah I have been trying to do some research on the rear end. It's Mazda's E-type suspension and is something they have been using ever since on a lot of models. It claims to be designed with the sole purpose of allowing a lower center of gravity by having the vehicle be lower with also maintaining full contact patch, so 0* camber in the rear.

When I had coils on it I was scraping frame on speed bumps and had only about 1* of camber in the rear, and that's with ancient bushings so I'm interested to see what fresh arms can do to this thing. I am taking my coils from the X8 and putting them on the 929. The strut lengths of these coils compared to what I had last time should be much better. I'll be picking up a motor for that one soon too but it will not be a JZ (gasp), it will be something just as cool though and not a v8.

With my insurance $$$ I picked up an AEM and a Comp Turbo. I'm interested to see how the turbo performs with their crazy triple ceramic ball bearings and their take on Billet wheel design. It's also re-buildable and uses an aluminum CHRA. Crazy stuff.

If you don't say 4 rotor, I'm gonna stop caring. Please let us know what's up with the comp turbo. The oil less units seem interesting and had me looking on the web for a bit to see what the fuss was about with comp, but the little feedback I found seemed on par with precision as far as customer service. Ewww.

4rotors are expensive as shit... ive always had a thing for 929s though so sneak a few pics in here or there im sure no one will mind if its rad... glad do see youre still in it

The V12 Century engine would be fun........

If I don't sneak pics of the 929 in here I'll probably get banned. My intro thread forever ago quickly turned into the 929 spotlight show. I still firmly believe it's a better platform for building a good cheap 4 door drift car than a Cressida. Once I get more progress on this thing I will spill the beans on it and detail everything.

Comp signed me up on their Master Program sponsorship so my experience with them has been good but I don't think that is fair to compare to a normal average customer. They built mine specifically for my build and it took 3 weeks, which to me isn't bad at all. The machining and quality of work is simply amazing. I'll take some pics of it with my lady's DSLR and post em up tomorrow for you guys.