Sign in to follow this  
4DRSPRA

alright guys.... lets have it

so recently after upping the boost turning the sequential into true twin and decatting my exhaust, not to mention installing the 5spd, i have been having a smoking issue.

so here is the break down let me know if any of you have come across this issue.

so sometimes my car idles down really low (-500 rpm) when i put in the clutch and take it out of gear, when it does this it smokes quite a bit but a couple of revs and it clears up. the only other time i notice smoke is if i am in high boost really getting on it and it does it between 2-3 shift.

the twins where just rebuilt plus i already pulled the intake and intercooler apart to check for oil and nothing. i recently replaced the PCV valve as well thinking the old one was not working properly. it doesnt smoke at idle, when i rev it up in neutral, or when it starts. do i need to run an oil catch can between the valve cover and the intake? is this where this oil is coming from? how solid are the compression rings on these engines have any of yous guys run into issues with them. i know i have read a lot about the JDM motors sometimes having bad valve seals sometimes, but it doesnt act like bad seals.

i dunno i am retard, someone help me put my helmet on.

how can your engine run at negative 500 rpms?

guessing you're talking burning oil from the exhaust, not a leak dripping onto something hot under the hood. its possible your rebuilt twins weren't rebuild well enough.

Both times my twins blew their seals I had a layer of oil on the back bumper above the exhaust.

mine would smoke on certain oils and not on others, only after driving for a while and then idling. ended up being an issue with the lines. make sure they're good.

Checked the twins, no oil in the piping.

Elaborate on this lines issue Chris... And it doesn't stay at sub 500 it will either idle back up to about 700 or stall out.

Have you taken a compression check yet ?

Have you made sure all the pcv piping, breather coming off the engine, and passages in the intake manifold are clear ?

The next time it decides to try to die when idling, let it die, pull all 6 plugs. Any sign of oil on them ?

How big is your wanabe supra ?

Wait, I know the answer, too fucking big to send to me........

Or try this, add 4 oz. onion oil extract, and the juice from 4 cans of sardines to your oil, then start sniffing.

Doing a compression test this weekend and checking the rest of the PCV system. Don't get the oinion juice fish thing other than you being a smartass. I replaced the hose coming off the valve cover going into the intake

I have found pvc passages completely clogged on low kilometer JDM engines.

Probably due to lack of service, cheap oil, and having the dog snot run out of them.

Smart ass ?

Me ?

What does the inside of your oil cap taste like ?

So checked all the pcv system even made a goofy little catch can just for testing. Still same issues but with the pcv system routed into the catch can I get more longer lasting smoke.

so I guess its the valves or the rings. FML!

Are you sure you bought a JZ engine, and not a 7M?

So funny.

when you say the PCV system... I checked the valve going from the cover to the intake as well as the one going to the turbo manifold. They are free and clear of clogs. Should the ones under the cover that bridge together be creating vacuum or pressure?

I have seen the breather inside the cam covers plugged tight, but so were the hoses & tubes.

If the stuff you checked was clear, it is doubtful that the cam covers would be clogged.

But all you have to do is put your mouth on it, and suck.

what color is the smoke?

And since you have a gay auto ecu probably have to adjust idle, also possibly iacv is clogged or not working, if you have colder temps and it doesn't idle up a lot, good chance iacv not working..... if its a vvti with maf, might have a vacuum leak.

its the bluish hue, smells of oil. its non VVTi and doesn't have a maf since is is a JDM motor. i didn't think to check the iacv because it idles fine when i start the car and warms up and settles down to an acceptable idle. just when driving sometimes when i put the clutch in after cruising it will idle low and smoke. as far as i can tell it is choking out and pulling air from some where that has oil. gunna try a compression test tomorrow see what numbers i get. there is no real absolute numbers i have found online, do any of you guys have a TSRM from the 2jzgte motor that has compression numbers and there allowed variances?

General rule is all cylinders close with no more than 20% variance.... 160psi or higher would be nice to see.

Also after doing the DRY compression test drop a table spoon of oil into the cylinder and re test any low comp ones or all, if the compression picks up substantially basically it is a ring/wall related leak.

Just post your results here.

well its a combo type thing hucker, see i push in the clutch AND let off the gas, the revs drop.

is it every 90 degrees a new cylinder reaches TDC

One rev, 6 cylinders.

Now my 3rd grad math education, says that there are 360 degrees per rev,

and from opening up at least 1 inline 6 4-stroke, I know that 2 cyinders are always in sync.

So you take a $5 calculator, divide 6 by 2, that is the number of what should be equally spaced crank throws, or in this case 3,

Divide 360 by 3, that comes up with how far the crank will turn in between different pairs of pistons will hit TDC.

Answer is NOT 90............

120 deg

some people are good at math, some people are good at english, some people are better at dropping out and coasting threw college on basic theory they know something.

i bet your smart enough to figure out where i fit in there.

I don't think you will fit in a JZ engine, something tells me you are way too big.

so you dropped out of high school to go to parts guy college? weird

Sign in to follow this