Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

So I don't know shit about X7's

As some of you may remember, I recently bought Turnbow's old candy red X7. I am also in the process of selling it to a good friend to help him turn it into a ProAm project. I'm pretty sure he's planning on going stock 1jz with a bump up in boost. That's all straightforward enough. What I don't know what to tell him is what to do for suspension.

SerialNine is not an option in my book right now unless proven otherwise.

All I have managed to find searching is that mk2 stuff possibly transfers over and a whole bunch of random combinations of struts, shocks and springs that could possibly maybe one day start to think about being better than stock shit on cut springs.

Who has a proven suspension setup I can go off of?

BTW our search function sucks. I will no longer flame people for not using it.

I'm using gc front coilovers with 12kg springs, mr2 rear kyb agx's for inserts with shortened ae86 short stroke shock spacers

Rear I got a used ae86 rear t3 coilover conversion and used rear ford focus kyb agx's that I modded to work(minor grinding).

Using with 7kg springs in the rear which after the motion ratio end up being = to 10kg.

The rear setup from Technotoytuning for MA61s will work on the x7, I worked with the used ae86 ones because same shit other than the shocks and I wanted to save some money because t3 will rape charge your for the rear coilover conversion. I wasn't interested in a setup with the rear shock and spring being separate.

the xm-bc stuff is real nice, very stiff suspension but low low, not the best for any event/performance driving unless you mod the rear to fix the camber. somewhere i remember reading about some company that made slotted blocks to put in place to adjust. i have pretty much any X7 XM part you might have a question about. i have had no issues with their product and their customer service is fucking amazing!

gamerface how did you beef up the shock tower top in the trunk to handle the spring load of a coilover?

Hope that's not your buddy in the other thread on this page Kevin. Really hope so.

PS this place is more of a social club but with good bits of info tucked away like treasure. It can be found if you know what you're looking for.

If BC sells the whole kit, I'll probably tell him to go that route. Gameface, that's what I'm trying to avoid. It sounds like you came away with a decent setup but that's a shit ton of mix and matching. WhoreMouth, no, he must have sold the suspension, the rear is held off the ground with 2x4's right now. Kyle, hell no. He'll be new to all this JZX madness but he lives at the shop. There's no way he'd be asking questions that basic.

its easier if you just buy the stuff, I did what I did to save money

wasnt talking about your method, instead of doing what i did get

ma60 technotoytuning rear coilovers, and raptor racing ma60 front short stroke shock spacers

t3 front gc kit for mx73 and camber plate stuff if you want

mr2 kyb agx rear shock inserts

but that's if you're like me and despise the separate coil and shock setup of bc, megan, other taiwan coilovers

but also note t3 will rape you for the rear coilovers, all it is, is another gc coil setup, a custom top hat, industrial split collars, and some o rings on a $50 shock

and serialnine is gay

Speedway Motors is full of threaded body shocks, of all different lengths, all different dampening, steel & aluminum bodys.

But what I haven't seen answered here is what you do to the rear upper mounts so they support the spring force.

And for any of you looking for such things, I have 2 different sets of insert spacers that I had brought in from Japan that fit the stock front strut tubes.

I'll have to dig them out, but I think their lengths are 20mm & 40mm.

I may have a set or 2 of Prodra-G insets too, both brown (stiff as hell), and green (really fucking stiff), but they are not short, but full length.

And I have enough parts to build a rear set of JIC shocks, complete with springs, top hats, new threaded inserts, and threaded lower bodies.

Rue seems to be happy with the HKS 250mm springs I sent him for his X7, and I have a few of those around still,

plus some different top hats.

Crap, where did I get all this old shit ?

Now I remember, from Japan 15 years ago........

QA1 shock/coilover for the rear would be a good option