1j240z

1JZ VVT-I Engine managment

Hey guys, Im just about to finish my 1jz vvt-i rebuild and im not sure what engine management to use. I was told Haltech Platinum sport series are good for VVT-I but it will definitely put a dent in my wallet especially after the rebuild and upgrade parts. Are there any alternative options?

I used emanage ultimate + stock ecu for budget styles. If I was to do it again I would do megasquirt.

I'll sell you a new, in the box, never installed Haltech E6K, with sensors for cheap, cheap, cheap !

April%2B29%252C%2B2011%2B139.jpg

im using megasquirt ms3x its good you will need to use other type of coils like the lq9 coils plus you get antilag 2 step 3 step and other shit you will never use o and vvti

wow, I assumed that MS3 just wouldn't cut it... I hate to cut corners on my build but if it is quality and has the capabilities to run all the components of the motor...mainly vvti then im down for it. I haven't done any research on the Ek6 but I will check that out when I get to work tonight.

It has user definable outputs, so one could be configured to control the cam timing.

It's old, bought it for a project that was never finished.

$600 shipped ( I paid twice that for it )

Power FC. Simple, plug and play. Haltech is tricky to set up and you have to wire it in, if you have a competent tuner then do the Haltech as it's not too far off the price of the Power FC D-jet setup.

But don't buy an old E6 garbage ECU, get PS2000

If I want a good tuner I will have to tow my car about 100+ miles which isn't too much of a problem. I have been looking at MS3 pro and it seems to be the best bang for my buck. As far as the wiring I concerned I've already planned on getting a custom harness made. Do you think that the PS2000 is worth the extra $1000 ill have to pay? It doesn't seem to have many more options, it seems like i'd be paying mostly for the name.. Plus MS has an app for tablets were I can tune it and have a display setup right in front of me.

Yep ms3pro is going to be my choice, not a fan of the flat wire home pc cable in the ms3x, want more control than emanage gives you. I've run ms previously and loved it. You shouldn't need a tuner to get it going just get a timing map, get it started and idling, pay for the required member ship shit ($50) and get auto tune and generate a a/f table then start running auto tune - need a wideband btw.

OK, bippu, master tuner extraodinaire,

Just what kind of problems am I likely to incounter if I put the E6K on my car ?

yooo. gordo. if you still have that haltech in a few months i might grab it.

LoL, I've just about talked myself into using it, pending what I hear back fro bippu.

Did a bunch of searching of reported problems with them, and most of it stems from user/installer error, like running unshilded ignition signal wires across things like spark plug wires, and alternators.

Or the some of the OEM reluctor signals not triggering stuff correctly, since the Haltech looking for a square wave signal.

An easy fix is an MSD box, that costs like $80, but I had already decided to do a crank trigger set-up on it with a hall sensor.

I just need to machine some pockets in my crank dampener body for the rare earth magnets, and have already bought the sensor, and magnets, if I can find the damn things.......

The only short coming that I have found is it having to deal with batch fire, and wasted spark.

It really is more suited for a 4-cylinder than a 6.

But I am not about to add 5 more EGT probes, just to take advantage of true sequential, so it should work fine for the old steam engine.

But it won't happen any time soon, so keep in touch. I may wimp out, and just install my MAP-ECU with my other collection of piggy backs (I have a whole heard of pigs under the dash).

get a power fc, its about the only good option for really controlling vvti. Gordo I have a haltech e6k. unfortunately it cannot run vvti in the way it works on a 1jz, it can run something like vtec though since its on/off and not constantly variable like vvti is. I was talking to my friend who's a wizard and he said it couldnt be done without makin the vvti just turn on/off. However on a non vvti engine like a 7m or old 1j it should be just fine

get a power fc, its about the only good option for really controlling vvti. Gordo I have a haltech e6k. unfortunately it cannot run vvti in the way it works on a 1jz, it can run something like vtec though since its on/off and not constantly variable like vvti is. I was talking to my friend who's a wizard and he said it couldnt be done without makin the vvti just turn on/off. However on a non vvti engine like a 7m or old 1j it should be just fine

That's BS. Any current standalone worth a shit will control vvti. Don't be a peasant. Spend some money.

That's BS. Any current standalone worth a shit will control vvti. Don't be a peasant. Spend some money.

*LIKED*

megasquirt can control vvti

I went with the MegaSquirt Pro and it says it can control the VVTI. When I get the car running with this ECU I will let you guys know the quality.

Will I be dead from old age by the time that happens ?

Probably. I hate megasquirt. Theres another dude i know that bought one of their pre built plug and play boxes and had to go over all of their solder joints because they were shitty.

That's what happens when you employ the neighborhood kids to solder shit together, and pay them with an ice cream cone.

They are the ones who in a few years buy 240SX shit boxes.

well hopfully they do a better job on my solder points. I get back from my deployment in about 2 months and need t put the motor back together. So tops maybe 3 months till its running.

Well the megasquirt 3 pro is manufactured rather than being a hand built deal.... so there isn't really much to worry about.

The other versions you are basically wasting money buying prebuilt because its pretty damn easy to do yourself.

all im saying is kevin bought an aem on ebay bnib for 395$. why the fuck would you buy something like megasquirt when there are standalones like that available all the time for the same or marginally more.