tuner4life

Tuner4life's 1991 Cressida Drift Build

What do you guys do about the line from the tank that used to go to the Cressida charcoal canister under the hood? There is no room for the canister anymore.. I searched on here, but didn't really find any good info. It seems to drive fine with that line capped off, but there is a bit of pressure that comes out when you fill take the gas cap off. There are no emissions here, so I don't care about that.

What's the best option? Cap it off? leave it open to vent? Run it to a vacuum port in the intake?

on my old Z32 with every emission system deleted, i ran it back into the intake. never smelled gas, no ill effects.

i don't remember if i used a check valve, but obviously needed for forced induction applications.

If you run it to manifold vacuum, you will probably have your tank collapse in on it self.

So which would be better then, cap the line, or leave it open. If I cap it, there is a lot of pressure in the tank when I take the gas cap off after driving, but wouldn't leaving it open vent fuel vapors into the engine bay?

Those wheels look a lot better than expected.

I just left my canister line open i tried running it to the vacuum but it seemed to run weird and rich and the gas cap hissed at me every time i fueled up, the line is still sitting in the bay marked. lol had zero fuel issues i know you can take out the line and just leave it open at the tank for a "cleaner" look.

Are you having that weird Tach problem too? im pretty sure i wired it in right but it wants to red line at 4500.

Ok, I'll just leave the canister line alone then, It seems to be working fine as-is.

The tach reads low because the car originally had a 6 cyl. so the tach is looking for 6 "clicks" per revolution. The 1uzfe has 2 coils, so if the tach gets it's signal from one of these coils, it will only be seeing 4 "clicks" per rpm instead of 6 and the tach should in theory be showing 2/3 of the correct rpm. I have not come up with a good solution yet, but I have considered taking getting rid of the cluster tach and mounting an aftermarket tach in the cluster where the original one is. Just not sure about hacking up my only cluster. If I find a junk yard spare, then I'm all in.

Anyways.. No-star bash is tomorrow. Lets hope I don't die in a fireball or break anything too expensive.

Isn't there a pot on the back of the tach to fine tune them ?

I've read somewhere that there is an adjustment, but other places say that you have to do some sort of witchcraft with a resistor.. Idk. Car is loaded on a trailer and we are leaving tonight.. I'll figure that out when we back home.

Had an absolute blast at No Star Bash last weekend! The car was super reliable, besides the alternator that I bought at O'reillys 3 weeks ago taking a dump and having to go replace it mid-event saturday.. My corner light randomly fell out too... But the 1UZ took everything we threw at it, never leaked anything, never got hot, no drama at all. I love it. I let a couple of the more experienced drivers drive the car and they said it drove awesome!

There are some bugs to be worked out:

-Rebuild IACV

-Recheck suspension (everything still tight)

-Fix shifter boot so it quits blowing hot air on my leg

-Reposition my ebrake at slightly more of an angle so 4th/reverse doesn't contact it

-get new shifter bushings

-Maybe hook up cruise control?

Anyways, Pictures and a video of one of my first runs once I got the hang of the track and car..

medrifting1_zps649fce94.jpg

medrifting2_zpsc79e65e3.jpg

medrifting3_zps5d696585.jpg

Video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204377253213924&l=2009799140826405124

making me miss when my car was maroon.

kinda

Haha, I won't miss the maroon at all...

Attended a benefit car show on sunday. Nobody knows what to make of a rwd converted random v8 camry... I actually had someone ask me if they really made Camrys RWD or if I converted it... *facepalm*

IMG_20140706_162221773_HDR_zpsgebispun.j

Worked on paving with friends afterwards:

IMG_20140706_135411273_zps4ep5gy8s.jpg

If all goes well, I'm going to be going to another drift event at Speedrome in Indy this weekend.. However, the person who usually pulls the car around is not going.. Now I am looking at my options of which of my other cars can pull a tow dolly and will be the least suicidal doing it..

Here are the pics of the event from this past Sunday at Speedrome in Indianapolis.

I was able to practice tandems and had a blast. I did wall tap once a little bit, and now I need a taillight. No major damage..

medrifting10_zpsa7bbdfcb.jpg

medrifting12_zps1d14dff5.jpg

medrifting13_zps117520af.jpg

medrifting11_zpsbd76c63d.jpg

medrifting9_zps71d0ebf8.jpg

There is a video of the wall tap.. I'm trying to find it so I can upload it here..

Yeah, I agree, there aren't many here either, but this was a very very very grassroots event. Very low key. It was a blast!

awesome. one of the first "track days" i ever did was at a redneck oval track our local club rented out. we only ran one car on course at a time, but it was the most laid back, casual racing atmosphere. just having fun with cars at its purest level. now with all the insurance, sanctioning bodies, and paranoid track owners, those days are gone. i miss that sort of thing.

Finally got around to installing the Volvo S90 lip that I had sitting around:

IMG_20140802_241013856_zps6jzi3xsz.jpg

IMG_20140802_115600251_HDR_zpsbbiherl0.j

Went to another great event at Speedrome. Had a blast, getting lots of good practice tandeming. Drove 3.5 hours there, beat the hell out if it, and drove it 3.5 hours back. No issues at all.

medrifting15_zpsde43783f.jpg

medrifting16_zpsa02eeea1.jpg

medrifting18_zps2d95170d.jpg

Dope! Such a good feeling when your car is reliable! And you don't have to worry about getting to or from a spot just drifting

So I guess you could say that things are a little up in the air...

IMG_20140905_174840486_HDR_zpsowzssy1a.j

I'm doing the unthinkable. I'm adding a muffler.. While I love the straight pipes, it's just too loud. I want to be able to screw around in a parking lot somewhere without cops in a 5 mile radius hearing it. Plus my wife kind of wants to try drifting too, and again, don't want to get arrested while practicing. I am making it modular so that all I will have to do is unbolt a 3 bolt flange and one hanger and I can put the straight pipe back on. Definitely need the muffler for the street. It's a flowmaster 40 series. Should get it all welded up in the next day or 2. Also wondering if the slight increase in backpressure might give a little more torque. We'll see.

IMG_20140907_202556787_zpsgyvocu4y.jpg

Also found this little guy at the junk yard last weekend on a 1984 Camry turbo diesel.. Because luxury car

IMG_20140907_202536231_zpsy5yhgbue.jpg

If you spent the extra $20 on a vband it'd be a 10sec/single 13mm affair. No gasket, etc.