tuner4life

Tuner4life's 1991 Cressida Drift Build

have you checked the board condition of your ecu yet? I've fixed a couple uz ecus before. Threw mine in the trash recently as it ran seemingly fine, fuel mileage wasnt horrible, but when I popped it open out of curiousity I found it was aboput to go, had some pretty decent board damage due to leaking caps over a long period of time

Yeah I was looking at the rear 02 simulators online.. $40 is way cheaper and easier than trying to install them if the simulators actually work.

I haven't opened the ecu that is currently in the car yet, but I do have a spare, and know a guy that is familiar with replacing the caps. I'll look at that soon. Hadn't thought about it as I wasn't having any other issues.

Can anyone recommend a good O2 simulator? I have found a few online, but all the reviews are very mixed. Is there any one that is proven to actually work correctly with the 1uzfe?

nah, have no experience with them, I've always used spark plug defoulers and such. I found it pretty weird the secondary o2 didnt throw codes on my car with no cats, and like I said, the car ran fine in all weather/conditions. I was EXTREMELY surprised to see the condition of the board. shit was etching into traces and was about to leave me stranded guaranfuckingteed, I've actually replaced caps in a 1uz ecu that lefyt an aquaintance stranded on the side of the road that appeared to be in better condition than mine

I used one from I think magnumtuning.com? On my 1UZ X7. It went into closed loop and didn't throw any codes so I guess it worked, who knows

Still up in the air whether I'm going to do any more events this year, but I did manage to get all the rear joints replaced along with the rear calipers that were sticking.

Somehow I managed to get the alignment nearly perfect just by eyeballing everything at home.

IMG_20150808_161644877_zpsz25yhysu.jpg

Over the winter I'm going to refresh the ECU, and see if I can somehow get all the CEL codes to go away. I've got codes for the front o2 sensors now and the MAF too.. Weird because the car runs very well..

Wish I had that alignmet table in my garage.......

Me too! I have a friend with a shop that sometimes lets me get in the way on the weekends.

How much price wise were the Heim joints?

I feel like i need to replace all mine, they are super loud and i can literally grab my rear wheel and shake it.

should of went Battle version for the poly i feel like.

Try putting boots on them next time, they will last a lot longer.

Keeps the road grit, and water out, and the lube in.

Yes, the ones in the link are the ones I got, the QA1s. Talking to Rich, he said that they are rated much stronger then the standard joints.

I might track down boots next time. These are already installed and I've already driven it in the rain.. So yeah.. Routine maintenance I guess for now..

For shits and giggles, I took the car to the local dragstrip for the last "test and tune" session of the year. I was just curious as to what it might do..

12027815_984802908227622_305395232046460

11222515_984803508227562_214058963550030

Ran pretty consistent 15.1 @ 92mph. Traction was a huge issue, obviously the car isn't really set up to grip, but it was really bad. Played with air pressures and dampening settings on the rear coilovers and nothing really helped. The thing that really surprised me was that traction loss wasn't smooth at all. It would violently wheel hop when it broke traction. I checked everything in the rear and it's all heim joints, or poly, and nothing was loose. I need to look into that. Maybe it's time for Gordo's trailing arm bushing fix.. Who knows.. Either way, slow car was slow, but had fun.

And a few other pictures because I actually washed it.

IMG_20150925_063617451_zps1btxp4vh.jpg

IMG_20150925_135243377_HDR_zpse19punh1.j

i've been thinking about doing this lately too. but if i broke my W58 at the drag strip instead of drifting, i would be very upset. car looks good, even if it is slow.

It would violently wheel hop when it broke traction.

Wheel hop shows something is flexing.

What do you have for traction arms in that thing ?

The rear is just standard XM stuff, but I just replaced the Heims with new. After looking at it last night, I'm fairly positive that the issue lies with the rear joint (the one that you make the sleeve for). They have gotten significantly more play since last time I checked them. I'll get with you shortly for those sleeves.

Sounds about right. No doubt it could have been a mid-14 second car if I could actually launch it.

Cressida is waiting for me to clear work space in the shop and put the trailing arm bushings and shims in, but in the meantime it became obvious that I needed a new daily driver. I have been driving the junk yard special (but not rusty) RA65 most of the summer and really didn't want to ruin it during Indiana winters, I also have a hell of a time getting a car seat into it. So I picked up something a little bigger.

The Celica is now getting put into deep storage awaiting a full restoration.

IMG_20151002_162039253_zpspxxtvc2x.jpg

The new UCF20! I already love it! Needs a couple small things, but everything works perfectly, the interior is 11/10, and only 137k. Meticulously dealer maintained for the first 110k.

IMG_20151015_191003642_zpsggeujuno.jpg

It was abnormally warm on for being the middle of November, so I took the opportunity to snap a couple pictures of the 1UZ powered things.

ccb484a8-64e3-40fc-81aa-4cb67a022f82_zps\

Then into winter storage with the rest of the toys. LS400 is pulling winter duty.

IMG_20151114_194730834_zpspdno5krh.jpg

Over the winter, I need to go through and change all the fluids, replace the trailing arms/bushings on the rear, and figure out what in the front end is creaking when turning (I think it's in the coilover or top hat). If I get real ambitious, I'll take care of the 02 sensor CEL codes. Maybe pick up a spare W58 just in case something bad happens.