Demesio

Stopping power, LS400 calipers on X8

okay ladies, I am currently making brackets for the ls400 to fit the cressida. Now I am only on here for some input, since I'm planning to have someone take the design and make lots of them, it wouldn't hurt to see what the possible customers think about them before i make a final design.

Only concern I have come up with is the location, calipers are both labeled L/R and the bolting side is offset from the middle like so
2013-06-09_11-29-58_452_zps50669e31.jpg

on the stock ls400 they sit like this

LS400brakesupgrade31.jpg

with the bleed valve pointing up like all calipers, but the location on the cressida come out like this.

2013-06-09_10-19-10_933_zpsd1f8e71e.jpg

now this would be impossible to bleed properly, but still in fact is the left caliper on the left wheel.

fixing this would just be by switching sides but like i said before the calipers are offset and would seem like they just dont belong at a different angle.. here's the left caliper on the right side.

2013-06-09_11-24-24_371_zps3aac745d.jpg

2013-06-09_11-24-30_149_zps264574fa.jpg

the brackets im making are interchangeable and can just switch the calipers around to accommodate the bleeder valve but i feel that the position of the of the left caliper on the left wheel would be better, because of the offset calipers...

Any input on this?
here are some more pictures :)

2013-06-09_11-29-40_642_zps1819c0b2.jpg

2013-06-09_10-58-01_712_zps8b2a982c.jpg

gs300 discs vs stock

2013-06-09_10-26-52_683_zps86c7dc64.jpg

2013-06-02_14-06-10_462_zps2d748618.jpg

Shit, those things are massive!

shouldn't matter which side the calipers are on.

how the caliper functions may not matter, but how it attaches may.

^this... i figured something about the rotating force and the way the caliper is offset had something to do with the design

oi think it would be fine swapped around. as long as the rotor is in the right place and the pad contacts the rotor correctly, what does it matter?

design wise, it doesn't matter, but if you do think about it the rotating force of the disc could be harder on the caliper when switched over...

Where the fuck is Gordon to enlighten us on our faults of logic?

I am sitting here trying to find the logic in all of this.........

The Nissan calipers are a strait bolt-on, and you end up with a better ventalated (thicker) disk.

in both 280mm (Z32/R32-GTS), and 298mm (R32-GTR).

eBay is full of off the shelf spacers to move the rotors out even further (350Z track rotors).

If you going to design a custom bracket, do it for something that is a huge improvement, not a marginal one.

I have the 298/GT-R set up in the car now, and they are going by-by shortly with 332mm Wilwood rotors, with Z32 calipers.

And I have a complete 310mm/FC3S caliper set-up here that has never been run, only bolted on to the car to check fitment.

The nice thing about the RX-7 set-up, is that it has the same piston area as the X8 stock calipers, so no master cylinder volume problems come up.

And all 3 of them are extremely light weight, compared to any OEM style rotor.

Not saying there is anything wrong with LS400 brakes, if you just happen to have a set sitting, but I would never spend money on the set-up, as I am kind of past that stage.

So I have been watching, but wasn't going to be a dick, and burst anyone's bubble.

You can blame that on Kyle now........

Gordo, I appreciate the input. I've seen your rx7 calipers , I emailed you once about the adaptors. I have both sets of brakes, both sets were dirt cheap, although you have special spacers in between the calipers so they open up wider. Bad ass by the way. What I'm going for is almost bolt on, oe shelf parts... Im running a 2jzge, probably never going need brakes this big, but I paid 120 for them, new pads and rotors, can't beat that.

I figured I've got the time and resources to make it work, why not... Only concern I have is that I make these and having the calipers flipped makes the caliper design more capable of failure, causing some numb nuts to eat shit and die.

Nothing wrong with the way you are mounting them.

Just make sure the adaptor is thick enough, like 3/8" or more, and that the bleeder is up top, and they will function fine.

Are those calipers aluminum ?

the spacing us about 3/8 but I'll be making the braket about 7/8 thick for specific reasons :)

They are aluminum and weigh about the same as the rx7

they're pretty big calipers. rue had a set laying around, would make sense if you wanted to put them on an x8 but it would limit your wheel sizing if you wanted to put them on an x7 with 5 lug conversion. for that i'd stick to the smaller Z calipers so you can run 15's with spacers or 16's safely. maybe even FC calipers if you can make your own adapter.

You need bigger rotors to make the rx7 calipers fit right hahaha, I considered making them work, but I got a great deal with the ls400s

If I was in your spot, way back when, I would have jumped on new $120 4-pots.

Are you making the adaptors yourself, or going to have someone else do it ?

You can bleed calipers by unbolting them and turning them. I have two left-side GTR calipers on the front of my car. I just had to take one off and turn it to bleed it.

I have 3 more lefts, if you want to collect them.

Fucking ass holes in Japan........

Gordo, I'll have my little brother draw them up in mastercam, and I'll machine a few sets, then see if anyone wants to make a production run

Normally shops don't want to do less than a hundred pieces of something.

Knowing cressida owners like I do, you will be lucky to sell a set here, and a set there.

If you have the ability to run a few sets now & then, you just may leave it at that.

You have no idea how many fucking little projects I have done, that people want copies of, and it is just too much work on my manual equipment to reproduce.

I did it to feed my own cressida addiction.

Haha I've got about ten people wanting them, I get what you're saying but cnc is much easier. I've got respect for your manual skills

I'll see how this goes, I can't really rush this right now because my shop is busy prototyping at the moment :/

"I've got about ten people wanting them"

That means you will have 2 that will actually send money........

Truth^ haha

Yeah for Big calipers these things are light, way lighter than my mk4 ones. Z32 shit is expensive here because of the bs 240 tax. These things were an awesome upgrade on gfs sc.

Yeah, I am amazed at what I can sell the Z23 calipers for. :blink:

alright guys, so here it is... my company is still super busy and I got lucky to make this pair.

2013-07-06_09-57-25_147_zps362f6a4f.jpg2013-07-06_10-28-37_289_zpse8255a9d.jpg

i finally installed them yesterday and they are pretty awesome, i got custom lines made at driftmotion, which came out cheaper than buying crap ones from vatozone :)

2013-07-22_20-31-33_693_zpsd9b2fcc5.jpg

i used loc-tite on the threads for the studs i used, also slapped on some better grade 8 bolts

2013-07-27_12-13-05_848_zpsed7ea749.jpg

the bleeding wasnt hard, i wanted to keep it this way. Like i had said before the brackets are interchangeable so you flip the calipers and have the bleeding valve up top
so far the pedal just feels a bit spongy but still stops on a dime... soon enough i'll change the master cylinder...

at the moment im just testing them out, while i find someone who wants to make them... i've got the mastercam file for it if anyone is interested :)

2013-07-28_11-44-36_262_zps4f607b2c.jpg

nice work man