Austin

Gauging Interest....affordable transmission.

This trans is itty bitty compared to the r154. Shouldnt have to hammer a damn thing to put it in there.

Give me the OD, & ID othe the pilot bearing, and I bet I can come up with something that is a 1/4" wider so you won't have to use a retarded flywheel spacer.

What are the ratios in that trans ?

Something retarded like the Solice had ?

Yeah, pretty retarded, seems like they missed a ratio between 1st & 2nd........

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

Aside from that ridiculous 1st gear they arent terrible. Also, the flywheel spacer would be for spline engagement not input shaft

Pilot bearing would be something i need to find that would locate in the flywheel.

Not more than 50 psi........

If you believe everything you see on the net, like NA 7Ms won't ever make more than 200hp, no matter what you do to them,

then the bmw guys say in the range of 600hp.

Hey man, I plan on doing a 1j swap in my E36 drift car this winter. I have a ZF320 already, and have a stock sachs 3.2 clutch that had some straps let go (240mm disc...m3 fitment, the non-m's use a 228mm disc IIRC) that I could send you if it would help the cause. The ZFs are great and theres a bunch of e36 dudes with drift/hpde/big power drag cars using them at pretty extreme levels without a lot of headaches. Obviously this would benefit me personally as I already have the trans, and wouldn't need driveshaft modifications and whatnot, and in my experience the less aftermarket parts the more reliable your setup will be...to a certain extent.

These trannys seem like a good option considering theyre relatively robust and still cheap. They can be found pretty easily in the $300-500 range in good shape depending on mileage. The getrags that were used in the non-m 6 cylinder E36s are junk, about as reliable as I've read W58s to be at anything over 300wtq, if that. However, all 1995-99 M3s, 96+ non-m 6 cylinder e36s, and all of the E34 525s used either ZF310s, or ZF320s, both of which are rated to 310 and 320Nm respectively and proven to be pretty robust.

If you'd like it, just pm me an your address and I'll ship it to you if it will help the cause. It's all intact, aside from some bent straps.

Looking forward to seeing more, and thanks for looking into this.

Hey bunnyFaggot, how about doing an intro first ?

lol I randomly stumbled across this forum while cruising classifieds for a good 1j

I'll make a proper intro this weekend, sorry for randomly jumping in

Oh, and the adapter being designed for a getrag isn't all for naught as both trans bellhousings are the same dimensions. Grab a ZF, forget the getrag, and thank me later, you'll strip 2nd gear clean in a 2600lb car with 250+wtq in a hurry with a getrag.

The only problem with these transmissions are they are a "sealed" part per BMW, meaning you can't just order individual parts for them and there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support, or even support from ZF itself when it comes to internal parts. When they break, the majority of folks just throw another used box in.

In regards to the flywheel pic, is it just the angle of the photo or are the crank and flywheel holes not exactly concentric?

Hm, maybe not a bunnyFaggot after all.......

Time will tell.

e9DfD.gif

The ratios are pretty dope too actually. Aside from the whole no OD thing.

With a a 3.15:1 diff, with 7k limit, 1st goes to 30ish, 2nd to 60ish, 3rd to 90ish, 4th to 120ish, and 5th to who gives a shit slow down.

Pretty good for any purpose aside from mileage. I'm willing to help any way I can, my ZF will be out of the car like next week and I have dial calipers and a tape measure. I'll have the motor out briefly before the dude that bought it picks it up and can get pilot/crank dimensions for whatever the hell that would be worth as well.

Where's the intro bunny ?

Like what the fuck don't you understand about 'no intro, no posting' ?

And really, you call it quits at 120 ?

Holy fucking low expectations, my god damn 20R Corona wagon would do more than that.

The holes in the bmw flywheel are bigger than the holes in the jz crank, the crank hubs are the same however, and the bolts fit snugly with the flywheel because the hole spacing is slightly larger. The getrag i want to use is from an e30, if using an e36/46 trans it needs to be m3. You are correct, the same adapter plate will fit about 10 different transmissions to a jz. I havent had time to work on this much recently, but will start back soon i hope.

Yeah, the e30 getrags are pretty much the same as the ones in the e36, the only reason the e30 trannies are notoriously stronger is because e30s are lighter. Even then I have said this same thing to two people locally who blew them up with a stock s52, and a turbo m50. Both of which make less than 250lb/ft. I think you'll be much happier with the ZF, like they've been so far!

The ZFs don't only come in M3s like I said. The 1992 ONLY 525i (e34) and 96-99 328s used the same basic model ZF box. The getrags were only used in the e36 318/325 from 92-95.

good info. that e30 getrag though, theres several dudes running 500 through them forever with no issues. hard to believe you'll blow one up on 250ft lbs. and we weighed a friend of mines e30 at like 2800. thats the same as a gutted x8/is300/full interior s30 ect. not so shabby.

The getrag is crap, the ZF260 holds 600whp pretty reliably. I would not put a e30/e36 Getrag behind a JZ, shit wouldnt last a year.

My concern is that the e30 getrag youre using is clocked differently from the m50 trannies. So if you ever want to go ZF your shifter is going to be cocked BIGTIME.