Austin

Gauging Interest....affordable transmission.

The problem i ran into with the t5, is that nobody is saying they'll hold power. Stock 5.0 foxbody guys sre breaking theirs frequently, snd thats like 220whp.

That has been pretty much covered on thew supra forums, and it's not turned into a popular mod.

In facted, the whole idea seemed to die an early death........

Austin, probably not what your looking for, but there are stronger aftermarket trans with the T5 flange on them.

But they are not cheap......

yeah t5 sucks blew one up in an almost bone stock 5.0. A company called astro performance iirc does straight cut gears and shit in em, high dollar, but hold great power and torque and the trans are light too. idk what youd do for clutch. I hate clutches. All clutches

yeah, cheap is a mandatory feature. the ar5 out of the skystice is something i almost did about 70 times. its very easy. the problem is the colorado/tacoma ar5's are wayyy short, and the skystice trans are wayyyy long. god they shift nice though. still kinda pricey too. the skystice box is the one i'd want, and they regularly go for 500$ or more. even then i have to mod the shift linkage. could be worth it.

I started thinking about this the other day, and Im bummed you guys weren't able to go through with this as I now have an E36 and I am considering putting a 2JZ in it. Would be easy as hell if I could use the trans I already have, no custom tranny mounts no drive shaft, cheap transmissions.

I think this would be your biggest market for sure would be guys like me.

Damn thats a good price for a E36 euro 6 spd, those go for nearly 5K in the states

LOL i sent wrong link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Soarer-2jz-1jz-gearbox-adapter-Plate-To-Fit-Bmw-Gearbox-/271266589989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f28bfad25

There you go. Bolts up BMW gear box to JZ engine so you can have cheap 6speed or SMG box :P

You guys whinging at cost of R154s. Shit son. I need one for my *ahem* A70 and there is none for under 1500 in Australia.

I will sell my R154 after i find out more about getting a BMW E46 box to fit. SMG would fucking be awesome for circuit work.

LOL i sent wrong link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Soarer-2jz-1jz-gearbox-adapter-Plate-To-Fit-Bmw-Gearbox-/271266589989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f28bfad25

There you go. Bolts up BMW gear box to JZ engine so you can have cheap 6speed or SMG box :P

In that ad he says he bolted up the bmw flywheel. Da fuck? Seriously curious which flywheel he bolted up.

Probably an M50 flywheel, which if that is the case then I am definitely going 2JZ in my car

well i just put a 1.5jz in my e46, and my m52 in my s30, so i have all the shit to check it out.

the 1.5jz is in the S30, guessing because it was too hard to make the BMW shit work. dunno where that leaves us.

Now im building a second 1.5jz to put in the bmw. Really need a ge block though, and crank. Trans are still stupid expensive and i still owe kyle a bellhousing from last time i did an r154 swap. So this bmw trans thing needs to work. Bmw engine and trans will be split tonight. Bmw flywheel IS an 8 bolt flywheel, made in dual mass and single mass. The flywheel is thick, real thick. This means the spline engagement issues i was having with the w58 flywheel will no longer be an issue, and the pilot bearing may even be flywheel mounted already. That would mean the only thing you need to bolt up the trans to a jz would be:

E30/36/46 transmission

Bmw clutch of your choice

Bmw e46 flywheel

Adapter plate.

Boom easy trans swap. I'll compare bmw flywheel on jz block tonight.

Might also need bmw starter, which is trans mounted if i recall.

Will be researching into this soon.

Not running the R154 in my car anymore donated it to the MX32 LOL (box worth more then the car)

Anyway since i will be doing more Grip days looking at something DOG or Dual clutch option be it from BMW or something else that can hold the torque and has some options.

Flywheel bolts up, no mods needed.

B406BC59-66C5-4AFD-94F0-0FCA1452DF82-422

It makes this much more realistic. I still feel theres a spline engagement issue, but we're way closer. Now its just a matter of choosing the correct clutch disk. E30 should be better for this setup, or e36. All the info i've found is for e36 parts. Thats my next project, e36 junkyard diving.

7DD931FB-CFC2-42DD-AFDC-2E19C80D1B63-422

Thats the e30 trans sitting ona 1jz block. If there was no adapter plate i wouldnt be worried about spline engagement, but a 1/4" adapter has me overthinking. Im thinking a 1/4" flywheelspacer isnt so badthough.

How big is that trans compared to an r154? I'm all for other options, but I'm also all for staying in an x8 and clearancing for the r154 is tight enough as it is.

it can't be bigger... if this works legit i'm going to start collecting bmw transmissions now before the price goes up to $1,000/ea