DeltaIndiaEcho

1JZ-VVT-i X8 From Florida - Party Time

Fuck yea, mark just lemme know.

As for today, i pulled the motor off the subframe a little to check out the mounting brackets.. they're as far up as they're gunna go... here is my trans' final resting place!

1069190_176730475837487_1493523955_n.jpg

1002934_176730432504158_1529748204_n.jpg

The shifter i have for it is bunk so im going to order a brand new short shifter for the car with new bushings and whatnot.

Going to the u-pull-it this weekend to snatch the trans mount off the cress that's out there, as well as a new front fascia and fuel line that i need off of it. Maybe the radiator shroud too, if it's there.

where did i fail exactly?

no harness on motor before instal

bought mounts that dont fit right

instaling motor without trans

and taking pictures of the fails.........

but dont listen to me as im stupid enough to put a 1J in a mk4.

lol dude the harness will be an easy install, i'm not worried about it.
The mount wrong? they are the XM Mounts for the zenki X8? they are right. I see what you're saying but if multiple swaps have been done on these mounts before, then i'd say i have the right mounts.
Installing motor without trans is a fail? since when? we lifted the trans right up and bolted it on, super easy.. you're bad/.

well judging by your forward mounting position, tranny bolts are easy to get to, i guess. ropadopa's mounting methods would put the shifter dead center (where it should be), but makes tranny access limited, and installing engine/trans together a much more logical approach.

i need to see that mk4!

The motor is not far forward, it's far back, the last pics i took were with the engine on the mounts in their furthest rearward position. it cant go back anymore and the brackets are also as far forward on the block as they will go. im wondering if the W58 is a MK2 W58 cuz i hear that one is shorter than the MK3?

I didnt want to bang up my engine bay or my core support with the engine while trying to lower it in with the trans on the car, and we determined that just lifting the trans into the car by hand would be less of a pain in the ass than disassembling the entire front end of the car.

Your shit is in the wrong place. Looks like you'll be changing bracket positions again, or having shitty shifter placement. Short shifters are gay too.

Yeah, only sequental shifters are manly..........

How many H pattern shifters do you see on cool bikes ?

(the last one I seen was on a '40s Harley 45)

probably a mk2 tranny. Got a pic of it out of the car?

And yeah the harness will slip right in there. No plastic BS on it.

Shifter location sucks probaly due to being a mk2 trans. XM probably used mk3 stufff like most due. Hopefully you will stil lhave room to use a mecahanical fan and shroud.

Keepin mind that you will have to hammer up the car if you switch to an r154.

Another tip when putting motor in caris to jack up just the rear so you can slide in engine and trans in one shot.

Good lucjk and keep your head up because your still earning an A for effort , maybee a little to much effort...lol

I am defenitely not gunna sit here and act like a know it all, so thanks for the advice. truth be told this is my very first motor swap. I am not ashamed to admit that.. as far as other mechanics go, i've done alot, just my first time putting a motor where it doesnt belong. The method you mentioned of jacking the rear of the car up is genius btw lol.

On another note, i have set the shifter down in there with the trim all in place and its at such a slant thats it truly isnt in the way, i have smooth shifting everywhere and it leans so far back that it even appears it'll kind've look normal.. im gunna run this trans until i break it and then get an MK3 w58. the whole R154 swap is out of the budget at the moment with all the high end W58 goodies i just bought.

High end W58 goodies ?

What high end W58 goodies ?

Do tell.......

Did you buy one of the custom gear sets with billet shift forks out of Australia ?

Or did you buy a Route66 close ratio gear set out of Japan.

Maybe you can sell them all for $150 when you pop that W58 like an egg. :)

LOL at w58

good lord, you must have $1500 in that setup already. and you're going to get a short shifter? i put my W58 in for less than half that. but it was a used bellhousing, sc300 flywheel, and cheap clutch kit. the w58 is a bandaid fix for a cheap 5 speed. you're not supposed to blow your wad on that junk.

Yea you should have picked up a r154. But honestly who knows how well the w58 will hold up to your driving style and stock vvti 1jz. Many people have had a problem with breaking stock x7 diffs and mines held up enough for me to wear out the lsd and a couple sets of tires.

And on the note of the cost ive got 2 r154s and bell/clutch/light flywheel for that. Crazy dude...

yea, i was impatient, not gunna deny that.. but then again i dont plan on having but maybe 350 to the wheels in this car, its not gunna be a drift car just my daily, i think the w58 will hold out fine.

Its a competition clutch 11lb flywheel
Competition clutch stage 4 6 puck
and OEM Toyota bellhousing.. bout $1100.00 worth of shit... lol

I was also working with what i had available locally and couldn't even find an R154

Well, the light flywheel will help from shocking the trans is you do any clutch dumps.

So will an aluminum drive shaft, and skinny tires.