Gordo

Gordo's X8 Ramblings

Been busy so no progress, but I just seen the X7 flca being offered by XM now, and just had to address the subject.

If I did not have the Yanak adjustable front arms, I sure in hell would have done this.
All but a few tabs or brackets are off the shelf at dozens of oval track supply houses.
You will need:
Lower screw-in ball joint $20, or buy fancier ones, like the low friction, or aluminum like I did.
These ball joints stand up to the riggers of bang-em-up oval track cars, and are fully sealed.
Has 7° taper, so you would have to run a 7° reamer into your knuckle.
What, don't have a reamer ?
I will do it for you for $5 per hole, plus return postage (like $7.50, insured through Priority Mail)
Weld-on ball joint sleeve for screw-in ball joint $8
Tube w/ double adjustment already installed on one end $80
Order the longest one (they are all the same length).
Cut off the curved end, to length, weld ball joint sleeve on, weld on tab to take tension rod.
Use with rod end spacers/reducers to get to the 14mm Toyota mount bolt.
Most of which is off the shelf, maybe a whole $25 per side.
Tension rod end - 5/8 91720225 $20
Or jusr make your own. If you have a welding machine, and a hacksaw, these are simple to make.
Use with tube 5/8 tie rod of correct length $10
See my earlier post on what tubes I used, available in 1/2" increments.
And a 5/8" high missalignment rod end $15
Some jam nuts,
and something to mount the rod end to.
Total cost will be about $175 per arm, or $350 total, plus welding.
Most all this stuff is off the shelf, so if you bend something, it's cheap to repair.

Went after the rear caliper adaptors today.

It bugged me how chunky they were.

Again, the way they came from Japan:

R32adaptR1-1.jpg

Partially lightened:

R32adaptR5.jpg

Finished machined.

Took 7 oz. off.

Painted and baked:

R32adaptR6.jpg

Now on to the rear caliper rebuild..........

Progress (finally) on the Ikeya sequential shifter conversion for the W58.

Decided to do an adaptor that would bolt on to the original upper shifter housing, instead of cutting out a whole new housing out of billet.

I just need to drill & countersink the 4 holes to hold the adaptor to the W58 casting,

and drill & tap the 4 holes to mount the Ikeya to the adaptor.

If all goes to plan, and I figured everything right, I will now have the first squential shift W58.

Then, If I win the power ball (yeah, right), I will pick up a set of the strait cut dog gears out of Australia.

The set is only about $4k.........

DSC06453.jpg

DSC06454.jpg

DSC06455.jpg

How rare/expensive is the ikeya jam?

They are available new in Japan still, for about 140,000 Yen, and a long lead time, as they only build them as they get orders.

I think RHD-Japan has them on their site.

Used ones pop up now & then, and when I can find them, I get about a grand for them on eBay.

Wow. If it works decently well, thats a steal.

Well, after a few more days in my oven (shop), I practiced the fine art of making shavings.

Ended up throwing all the shavings away, but had these front brake caliper mounts left over :)

Still need a little finishing work.

Instead of threading the inner portion, I bored them to match the press in threaded inserts that the Nissan calipers come with.

So my 13" front brake project is pretty much done.

DSC06480.jpg

DSC06481.jpg

Tomorrow, the bolts will be in for the shifter.

Fucking entered the wrong p/n when I ordered them before, so I have even a larger collection of metric bolts that I will probably never use.......

And I just found another Ikeya shifter in Japan, in case anyone with deep pockets wants a sequential shifter.

Wait, who am I kidding, this is the home of the broke-ass tuner car owners......

The S13 Ikeya shifter has been installed (bolts came in), and tested.

I get all the gears, so my calculations on linkage changes worked out.

It will be interresting where the shift handle will come up to, as it sits 17" above the top of the original W58 shifter housing top surface.

DSC06482.jpg

DSC06483.jpg

DSC06484.jpg

Swim, the S13 shifters run $1000 used.

The adaptor would be a lot if I had to make another on my 60+ year old equipment, that doesn't even have DRO.

I can provide some numbers if someone wants to machine their own.

And this will not work on an R154, due to a different shift pattern (the reverse throw is longer)

But not all is lost, as the later S14 trans also has a longer reverse throw.

Will an S14 Ikea be adaptable to an R154 ?

I have no fucking idea, as I would need both an R154, and an S14 Ikeya shifter here to work off of.

Good work gordo. I hope itshifts like buttahhhh

Yeah, I am just leary of that fucking aluminum plate W trans.

A guy over on supraforums has an iron plate that I will probably pick up, and start building.

so I'd be like $1600 into it to get my AR5 to be sequential, maybe, if it even worked. :|

fucking pissed that a GF5R that I wanted to snatch up on ebay was sold locally and taken down before the auction ended

AR5 ?

Is that like an AR15, AR10, or AR7 ?

Sorry, don't understand, I'm going back to bed.............

Its the later version of the aisin transmissions. Comes in chevy colorados, some jeeps, solstice and sky etc. People say the jz bellhousing still bolts on to them. Some of them have weird shifter placements and different tooth count on the input/output shafts. Better synchros etc

I have no idea........

It all depends on the actual internals, and how far the selector rod has to move to bring each gear into battery.

Like early vs. late Nissan 5-speeds requiring different Ikeya shifters due to the reverse travel being different.

Ikeya makes a unit for the S15 6-speed, but do they offer it for the RX-8, IS200, and S2000 that run the same Aisin J160 ?

If not, why ?

I have people on SupraForums wanting an Ikeya for their R154s, that have simmular shift pattern as the later Nissan 5-speed (longer stroke for reverse), but without a trans, and a shifter sitting here, I have no idea if it can be done.

I doubt the s15 ikeya shifter works with all the other j160s. The shifter on my j160 has reverse right next to 1st. The s2000 one has it right next to 6th. Im not sure about the rx8 and s15 shift patterns but there are some differences.

Yeah, kind of figured.

Aisin will build anything you want, as long as you wave large amounts of money in their face.

They may use the basic J160 design, but that is about as far as it goes.

Either that, or a graduate of one of those trade schools I see on TV............

But yeah, As soon as anyone starts mouthing off as being an engganneer, I know right off something is fucked up.

If you even had the r154, would you attempt to even make the ikeya shit work? I mean, how many people with a mk3 have deep pockets? They either spend all their money trying to keep the 7m running, or spend it all trying to get rid of it.

I imagine shifter placement will be similar to dildo fanboy knob height. Might as well sprinkle glitter on it to fit in.

I was thinking of removing the handle, and buying a translucent purple dildo to put on it,

and offering to give young girls (under the age of 50) a chance to shift it for me.

"Faster woman, faster!"

large-bubble-dildo-gear-shift-knob-25cm-

I think there is a total of 10 deep pocket MkIII owners still practicing the fine art of keeping a 7M head gasket from blowing.

But then again, I have not been on supraforums much this summer, so that figure may be down by 50%.