Gordo

Gordo's X8 Ramblings

Oh, you mean the offerings to the gods of speed......

Here is one:

DSC03377.jpg

And another time:

DSC02935.jpg

OK, more done on transmission....

For about the past week has been spent on just improving the countershaft 4th gear retaining system, which is one of the S15 6-speed weak points.

HPI/Nismo addressed this issue a bit by running less angle on the gear teeth, which then puts less side loading on this point.

But some people have even damaged them. Most likely drifters clutch kicking shit.

Now a shop in Australia (I think, maybe New Zealand), has a mod where they make a custom split retainer that has a smaller ID, and then machines the countershaft to accept it.

For around $500 (if you haven't damaged your shaft yet).

Hope you are listening Dustin, same internals, thus same weak points in your supercharged BRZ trans.

Anyway, since I am a proud member of the broke-ass cressida club, that was a little steep for me.

So...

Making my own :)

Here is the stock retainer set, consisting of split retainer, outer retainer washer, and snap ring.

DSC08807.jpg

The split retainer goes on the shaft, the outer washer then goes on it, to keep it in the grove, and the snap ring keeps the outer washer in place.

None of this fits real well, so it allows some movement on the countershaft's grove.

First thing was to replace the funky snap ring with a Spiraloc style.

That alone took some real digging, since it's an odd-ball size.

But with persistence, and a real desk-top computer, I found them.

DSC08812.jpg

Next was the outer washer that keeps the two halves of the split retainer in place.

It had about .010" clearance on the OD of the split retainer.

So I ground a new one from a thrust bearing race...

It has zero clearance on the OD of the split retainer.

Also increased the OD, to add some radial strength.

DSC08811.jpg

That brought me to the split retainer.

DSC08808.jpg

Wanting to do something like the guys down-under, I found another bearing race that had a 2.5mm smaller ID.

It was then ground to match the OD, and thickness of the stock split retainer, and the snap ring grove was ground in.

DSC08810.jpg

Still to do, split it into two pieces, and grind the slot in the countershaft deeper.

All the time, hoping I don't fuck anything up, especially the shaft....

(and you people think I never work on my car)

After buying 5 (five) fucking high stall converters, from people like Level-10, and IPT, none of those ass holes knew how to build a true high stall converter.

Not one of those fucking things would give me more than about 3200 stall speed.

I explained to these turd polishers that I had a very high strung NA engine, that didn't make stock torque at low RPM.

They all said 'No Problem, send $$'.

Turns out none of these places actually had any way to test their high priced shit.

And things got even more complicated when I put the IS300 overdrive assembly into my trans to get a better OD ratio, one that didn't drop me out of my power band when going from 3rd to 4th., as it changed the input spline.

I had Great Converters out of the Dallas area say that they could make a 9", but shortly after ordering it, I found the IS OD thing.

The 9" was for the original spline. And, he made it with only half of it being 9". The front half was still the larger diameter.

Just got fed up with playing musical converters.....

Then I got into the Toyota trans quagmire, of weakness, wrong ratios, crappy shifting, and ever escalating prices.

Arg !

This should be the answer to my self inflicted problem of a narrow power band of high output NA engine.

^famous last words...

I do admire your forethought and thoroughness. But damn son, it's almost like picking something that was already engineer to be bulletproof makes your dick droop to 6 o'clock. It's like you have to find the Mr. Glass of everything make that bullet proof.

It's a beautiful sickness to have. You are definitely at home.

Get a triple disc clutch and a lenco trans, problem solved. No more stall or gear ratio issues.

Just on another forum, and got talking about Spanish bikes.

Damn I wish I could go back 40 years, and ride my Bultaco again !

Drifting is for pussies, do it on a bike, on a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile, feet up.

Now that's a rush !

BLOGBULTACO15.jpg

Mmmmm... the brappy two stroke bikes from back in the day.

An old timer I knew had a Kawi H2 750. Frame flexed like crazy, horrible braking and sketchy handling and was scary as hell.

He was doing over 100 when a cop caught onto him and told him to pull over. He had a toothpick in his mouth, and quickly jammed it in the throttle and broke the end of the toothpick off.

Cop was pissed until the guy explained that his throttle was stuck open and let the cop roll on the throttle.

Cop said no problem and let him go.

Well, someone was looking over my ass at the Texas Mile when I cooked the pistons.

Hadn't seen this until today when I grabbed my flex plate to turn the engine over.

The flex plate was about to disintegrate, and probably would have come through the bell housing, and chewed on my toes...

IMG_4262.jpg

It had about 8 cracks in it......

Other news, I've got the 1mm gapless rings in it now.

Front cover, new countershaft, and pan should be in tomorrow.

Just have to do the ARP head washer mod, and it will be all back together, again.......

Rue has my trans adaptor finished, so I can get it welded on, and the trans back together.

That will clear up bench space, so the head can be disassembled, machined for the washers, and put back together.

And if I ever run the auto again, I will install the explosion blanket that I've had for years......

Value my feet way to much to chance this again.

^ pics of explosion blanket

scattershields that come w jz adapter bells for road race transmissions any good?

I'll check into the JZ scatter shields, but if they attach via the engine/bellhousing bolts, they won't match

that's not JZXP tradition... true JZXP tradition would mean that you log in to post that you're GOING TO DO IT, for like 4 months.. and you never do

Yeah, and it won't go away.......

It's the reason I don't fit into my bike leathers any longer :(

After you shamed me, I did 25 sit-ups.

(not all at one time, mind you)

Probably will start running again, like I was doing when I was working.

Stopped the pint of ice cream once a week, and was off the weekly pizza, but slid back into that habit :(

You're in old man age, it's not bad at all. Many men your age have another person hanging off them. My belly is a little smaller and I'm 32 lol. Do what you want, you're doing fine

I was wanting to just put it on like skirt, but I doubt my son would agree to snap a picture of his dad, half naked, outside in 40 degree rain.

He probably would have tried to get me committed.

Either that, or the neighbors would have called the cops......