Gordo

Gordo's X8 Ramblings

because i trust what randos on the internet tell me versus what the engineers who designed the fucker have to say. they're all mean too though.

FSMs for the IS are still pretty pricey. TIS helps but is slow and annoying.

^ how has nobody scanned and hosted them yet? the chassis is definitely on last owner status w/ all the salvage titles and partouts i've been seeing.

haha yeah, it's been weird growing up with them seeing them go from class identifiying status symbols to high quality used performance bargain to my parents gave it to me to $2500 wrecks.

Well, I'm not going to post dick pictures in my own thread.....

OK, there may be life in this thread still.......

Just accepted a position as lead maintenance tech with a large manufacturing facility, that promises lots of overtime.

So I will have $$ to throw at the yard display sitting in my driveway.

Wait........

Lots of overtime ?

That means I still won't be able to work on it !

It may not be that bad, as so much of my time is devoted to trying to scratch a living out of eBay now.

Found a pair of BBS LMs, 17x9, with special offset, that if I measured correctly, will fit under the stock rear sheetmetal.

BBS LM169X (custom order).

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Did about an 1/8" roll back when I had 255 tires on the rear.

+38?

+55 :wacko:

My currant 8" are +45, which are what the Japanese specify for X8 rears, and I have always had a shit load of clearance inside the wheel.

Pics of my new rears.

I just ordered BBS gold paint, as my others have that color centers.

My 8" will now go to the front, and the 7" will get sold down the river, or maybe cut & narrowed to make skinny fronts for the drag strip, or Texas Mile.

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

Pretty slick :thumbsup:

As I figured, long hours makes for little time to actually work on anything, but sometimes it just has to be done.

Case in point, my Datsun 620 work truck decided to snap another main leaf spring on the rear.

Partly because it's a 44 years old, partly because of the 2" lowering blocks, without traction bars, that allows a lot of spring wind up.

Probably has nothing to do with the fact that I have no concerns about side stepping the OS Giken clutch at about 5k....

Na....

Anyway, leaf springs for the old dog are about impossible to find, and when a set pops up, they are rust pitted to hell.

So I decided to go 4-link :)

Now there are tons of kits to do this with good ol 'merican cars, but only one guy makes one for the 620, and the design sucks.

So I bought some parts (meant for 'merican iron), and some steel, and made some measurements.

Had to rent some Nissan pos hatch for a week.

Came up with this:

DSC08375.jpg

DSC08376.jpg

DSC08374_1.jpg

While I was at it, the LSD w/ 4.56 gears was installed :)

End results, a much tighter handling work truck, but.......

I had been having fun on the way back from work, by drifting it around a 270 degree clover leaf with the old suspension.

Wasn't anything to kick it sideways entering the curve, and ending up at the entrance to I-35 at about 50-ish.

But now, the mother fucker doesn't want to swing the back end out at any speed that I am willing to enter, with a fucking guard rail all the way around. Maybe when the new engine goes in, and I have more than two and a half cylinders working.

Quick answer, no room due to exhaust & fuel tank.

The tank mounts just inches ahead of the left axle, and the exhaust is on the left

But it's not a panhard, it's a Watts link.

Panhards are great/easy for oval track cars (they only turn one way under anger), or drag cars (never turn under anger),

but bad choice when you want to turn both directions, due to the roll center being at the axle attachment point.

In other words, it would handle differently turning left, than it would turning right.

A Watts link keeps the roll center centered at all times, and it is at the height of the Watts rocker.

So with my rocker at the bottom of the diff housing, I have a roll center about 5.5" off the road.

Most people put it at the center of the diff, on the back, but I didn't have room there either.

The only place I could put it was at the bottom, which ended up being an ideal location.

2015-08-14_23-18-57.jpg

That's funny, can't remember but wanna say maybe maximum Motorsport made a watts link for the foxbody way back nobody really embraced, and now I think it's standard on the mustang now hahah. Good work old man! I'll see ya this week sometime.

that's my fault, rue told me watt's link and my brain turned it into panhard from having been several beers in during that convo. i'm lucky in that my tank is totally behind the axle and all mounting points and i don't have to run exhaust to the back.