Okidriftjr

Electronic boost controller thoughts for a 1J

Im running the stock 1jz-gte in my x8. Yes it's on stock boost for every day driving and will continue to do so for 95% of its life.

My question is with all of the EBC's out there now, what works best for the twin T set up.

I want to eliminate boost creep, and the eronious spikes, but I want the option to bump the PSI a little bit for the track days or a little wow factor when I take people for rides.

Not looking to do this for bigger dyno numbers, or for daily use since those damned ceramic turbos don't like to be pushed hard or over ran much.

Currently my boost sits about 12 psi in top gear and holds there pretty solidly, but I know you can run these c-12's up to around 14 psi and still be safe.

So,

Apexi AVCR?

Blitz Dual SBC?

HKS EVC 5?

Profec B? (not interested in the A, the fuzzy logic sucks ballz)

Any other ideas?

I know all about the " you need to get it tuned for boost levels over stock" stuff. I have access to dyno time when ever I want and going to put in a super AFCII I have laying around somewhere.

It's a good idea to get any car custom tuned stock or not and I have a wide band O2 with AFR meter so I can keep an eye on it ( she runs rich now anyway).

Stock twins blow, in 2 ways, blow cock, and blow up.

Just wait till you blow a massive cloud of oil smoke out your tailpipe and go through a quart of oil every 2 weeks and at that point you wont even give a shit what you just typed up because you will be going single.

Upgrade the y pipe, safc, boost controller and call it good until they blow. Have a backup pair if you like stock twins so much.

Thanks for the linky filthy,

I might check the HDI Ebc's out. Cant beat the price and I don't need all the other bullshit many come with ( scramble junk settings). I used to be an Apexi nut, but seems they don't mess with the toyota stuff much anymore.

As for the stock twins blowing up, sure they will over time or when pushed to hard. Not my first 1j tt car. Ceramic turbo's are crap in general.

When they do crap out, I might have to place a call to one of my boys and get the Tomei 8280 replacement units. I hear they are seeing good results with them.

Aem and profec are both easy as hell. Avcr is better though. Honestly you should just get rid of them

Just placed an order for one of these HDI units.

At the very least it will help with spool up and prevent the wastegate creep.

My HDi (the one in the jzx link) has been working for about a year without issues now. Dual port wg, works like a charm.

My buddy was over at the garage the other day, and he had paied somewhere around 300$ just for the exact same solenoid (MAC-solenoid) to his Standalone.