Sign in to follow this  
rayray

JZ/UZ A340 bellhousing adapter to T56

stumbled upon this thread. not sure if any of you have already seen it (probably a few of you have). but it is a JZ/UZ auto trans bellhousing adapter to T56. or at least that's my understanding.

http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1326

guy is selling the cad file for $20 to have it machined on your own.

anybody seen this? i think a T56 magnum would be pretty slick to have behind a JZ or a UZ

Seen it, but unless you have a cnc mill in your garage, it's worthless (mostly).

Not all CNC machines use the same code, so it would still take a lot of work by the actual machinist to make it into a part.

And if I remember correctly, doesn't that one also require welding?

Tell you what, ask Rue if he wants to make some up.

Better yet, ask him if he would want to run off a batch of copies of the one I have that uses a W58 bellhousing.

All you need is the T56 'aftermarket' trans that has an extended shaft, and the T5 to T56 flange already on it.

(or just buy the T5-T56 adaptor from a guy on eBay, they are like $225 each)

Offer him some cash, I'll send the W58-T5 adaptor up to him to use as a pattern.

And if anyone can answer, why do these adaptors have to be made out of steel, when both the trans flanges, and bell housings are aluminum ?

Aluminum is a lot easier to machine, not to mention lighter......

i think i showed this to rue at one point because there was a guy parting his 1uz 3rd gen celica locally.

I've made a adaptor from this file. it works fine. they are dxf files so they can be used to program ALMOST ALL cnc machines.

Aluminum is fine for this adaptor btw. Steel is usually used on adaptors where there is very little material too bolt to (like the w58 adaptors) Or on engine side adaptors where you have minimal bolt engagement to work with so you need the strength of steel threads to bolt the transmission to.

I've actually made both the engine side adaptor and the transmission side adaptor for the t56. Both are easy to make. the issue is figuring out a flywheel, bearing spacer arrangement.

you have it installed and running? do you plan to release a kit to run a T56 behind a JZ?

. the issue is figuring out a flywheel, bearing spacer arrangement.

All I did was call up Quartermaster.........

you have it installed and running? do you plan to release a kit to run a T56 behind a JZ?

I sold it to steve groenik the owner of http://dorikaze.com/ His was for the 1uz, Which requires a custom flywheel setup and the adaptor is a slightly different thickness but still the same as the jz setup.

I plan on releasing a kit for the jz eventually, but I want to focus on getting a complete kit for the uz engines first.

It's not worth it. I looked into it.

UZs don't usually make more power than a R154 can handle. A magnum T56 is $4k + and it doesn't shift any better than a R154.

JZs already have a $4k + trans. The v160. It also shifts way better (I read) and has better ratios (given the correct final drive and wheel combo).

Does anyone have experience with how the Richmond 6-speed shifts ?

It has better ratios than the T56 (No stupid high overdrive), If I remember correctly, 6th is very close to the R154 5th ratio.

They are cheaper than the Magnum.

Down side is the US style external shift linkage.

The thing that makes the t56 a good option is the fact that there are several aftermarket ratios available.Although most of the gearsets I've seen to date still have a tall 6th. .68 off the top of my head if I remember correctly. It also depends on what you are doing. Some guys are starting to use 4 speed super t10 trannies for drifting. Which is the oppisite of where most people are going with things.

.62 is the shortest 6th gear they offer.

Thier other is a stupid high .5:1.

Had one, did all the foot work, didn't get the Tee shirt.

Rear end had to be 4.88 gears, and at 8500 rpm, it would be 220 mph,

which on a car as aerodynamic as a brick, would require aproximately 800 hp.

Speeds in gears @ 8500 rpm with 4.88 rear gears:

1st - 46, 2nd - 66, 3rd - 96, 4th - 138, 5th - 172, 6th - 220

And because of tall gears in the trans, and low gears in the rear end, drive shaft speed is way up there.

I even have the 5.29 gear set that I picked up for that set-up.

Ive been thinking of going the t56 route basically because I have cheap access to a cts-v one. What gears would I need in my rear for this tranny?

You will have to look up the spec.s on the caddy one.

If it has the .5:1 6th gear, probably 4.88s or 5.29s.

Richmond Gear makes the gear sets.

If you want the 5.29s I have, I'll make you a deal on them, or even the whole rear end, it has a modified OEM LSD in it that has the main spring spacer, and the booster spring, and holds twice the factory torque.

Punched some numbers with the CTS-v ratios ( 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .84, .56 ),

and the 5.29 rear gears.

Seeing that most of you don't spin your engines as fast as I do, I used 7500 as max.

Here are the various speeds in gears at 7500:

1st - 36
2nd - 52
3rd - 76
4th -110
5th, 130
6th - 196
Anyone who wants to use a junk-yard pulled T56, my built rear end is ready to go,
and it's got less that 400 miles on it, most from driving to & from the Texas Mile.
Has fresh Red Line shock proof in it.
$350 + shipping.........

I also take old kart engines in trade :)

what got my interest was to run a new T56 magnum. it's gonna cost a pretty penny out the door, but it's an improvement over the myriads of OE T56 and TR-6060 variants. handles 700lb//ft of whatever stupid torque you want to throw at it.

yes it doesn't shift like a miata, but there's a trick to driving these things too. so it won't be for everyone. but for those who don't grenade R154's on a regular basis, i think it's a cheap alternative to a V160. you can purchase them with two flavors of ratios.

My deep geared LSD set-up is out of the car now, if any of you want to venture into T56-land.

Sign in to follow this