Sign in to follow this  
skyline13

Subframe bushings swap labor

I don't have the tools to change the sub frame bushings and rear wheel bearing. What do you think how much will be the reasonable labor? I have the xm bushings and timken bearing. Please advise.

Guest gameface

do it yourself, just bring the hub/knuckle to the shop to press out the old bearing and install the new one, that would save you money

Guest Georgie-Porgie

It is almost a 2-man opperation to drop the sub-frame down with only a floor jack.

One to work the jack, the other to guide it down to blocks.

If you just lower it enough to get at the mounts, then you don't need to pull brake lines.

The car has to be on jack stands.

So if he (skyline) doesn't have a floor jack, or other blocking, and a nice piece of pavement to work on, it's would be next to impossible.

I have installed one by myself, but it was, let's say, a nut buster..........

A shop is going to just plain rape you, unless it's a buddy.

I wish someone can help me in Texas. I don't even mind to drive down on weekend. Let's see.I know any shop might change a lot.

Guest Georgie-Porgie

Yeah, for what some shop is going to nail you, you will end up with a bunch of tools that are good forever.

I did mine with only hand tools in a -20C Canadian garage with no idea what I was doing. Same with going back in.

You'll be alright. I lowered mine down with all the arms and wheels on, that way you can roll it around and flip it over easy.

Guest Mitto

Did my subframe by myself. Used 2 trolley jack's and 4 stands.

Replaced diff/subframe bushes and rear arms with no clue about what I was doing.

All with an average tool setup, single car garage and a weekend spare (raining and too many drink breaks)

Like everyone said use the money you save on labour costs and get more tools.

If I can do it then anyone can...

I'd probably charge 3 hours for all that. But it's just me. Shops will be like $1k/

Sign in to follow this