yokotavia

FUCK toyota's poor excuse for transmissions

EDIT: confirmed parts list at bottom of this post

okay. ive broken too many r154s and no i will not drive like a woman to avoid blowing the shit up. After breaking my last one, ive decided to put marlin crawler shit thrust washer and shift fork in it and begin thinking of more reasonable alternatives that will keep me on the track and not cost 10k. Im tired of breaking r154s, and having to pay 800+ for a r154 with 150k miles on it that is unknown condition.

Steve from drift union may be on jzxp but on zt he updated his thread with some info on dogboxes mated to a jz

http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=30294.420

about half way down page 29 is where jerico 4 speed info starts

said jz to trans bellhousing

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qti-rm-4031

NOW, what im curious about is

1. how does one bolt a "tilton triple plate" to a jz block?

2. does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

3. what hydro throw out bearing does one use?

4. What about the starter. jz starter to tilton flywheel?

vid from steves soarer

UPDATE OF CONFIRMED PARTS LIST

1. obviously the transmission itself. jericho 4 speed

2. Tilton 2j flywheel with twin plate clutch

3. quicktime jz to common 4 bolt trans bellhousing. REQUIRES APROX. 1" of shortening for jericho input shaft to enter pilot bearing

4. make your own trans mount

5. 1pc driveshaft with the yoke for whatever trans your running

6. GM style Hydro Throw out bearing

7. hammer/cut the fuck out of your transmission tunnel to fit whatever expensive shifter you go with for the trans

1. how does one bolt a "tilton triple plate" to a jz block?

2. does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

3. what hydro throw out bearing does one use?

4. What about the starter. jz starter to tilton flywheel?

guesses:

1: JZ flywheel

2: Steve. NASCAR. Circle track dudes. As commented, the bellhousing looks like a brake booster. Flange on the engine side, flange on the trans side, filler steel welded in the middle much like a wheel hoop.

3: GM LSx TOB

4: JZ starter

There are plenty of transmission, race, and/or fab shops in just about every town ever. Just have to find someone who can make you a safe one without charging you forever millions of dollars. The GForce T5 might be a better option if you don't own a trailer. I believe it has a synchronized helical cut 5th (or option to buy it with that), so you're not listening to the trans screaming down the highway. Also, I think you missed the window for getting in on the NASCAR leagues end of season used part sales. A buddy picked up a magnesium case Richmond 4sp dog box a few years ago for a song and dance. There are tons of deals out there in the dude car realm.

street driveability isn't an issue. i dont want any syncros if im spending the time and money to get a good trans. and the quicktime bellhousings have an SFI cert which leads me to beleive they are pretty safe. lol lots of dragstrip dudes run them, have a friend with an 450hp ls3 in a e36 that runs a gforce gsr with a quicktime bellhousing

and im going to start buying parts and saving them until i find a deal on a jerico or even a gforce gsr

i dont like your guesses....need good info.

finding a clutch disk splined for the input shaft that is similiar in diameter to a jz disk and a push style pressure plate that is close enough to have my flywheel redrilled to bolt the pressure plate to shouldnt be too big of a deal for a local fab shop to work out.

jerico/t101a 4 speed trans

quicktime bellhousing

clutch of above theory ^^

driveshaft

and hope that shifter location is close to stock shifter hole

Guest swim

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=246

2jz_adapter.png

supposedly that piece lets you use a chevy powerglide etc bellhousing on a 2JZ. so then you'd just need a smallblock chevy to saginaw/muncie/t10/whatever bell such as

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-15000/overview/make/chevrolet

LAK-15000_SN.jpg

honestly might be worthwhile seeing if one of these shops would make a JZ-to-murika-4-speed bellhousing for a reasonable price so you have less adapter plate bullshit to fuck around with

throwout bearing you'd use a hydro bearing intended for the transmission you're using. they make universal-ish ones which come with a stack of washers so you can run as many washers as it takes to get for it to interface right with the pressure plate.

flywheel/starter/clutch/pp is going to be the shitkicker here... it looks like that bellhousing adapter has mounts for the JZ starter on it, if that's the case, you just need to redrill the stock flywheel to take a 7.25" clutch, buy a used nascar triple plate, and do it to it. let me look into this shit for a while since I'm bored.

Guest swim

my trans shit is at my parents house right now so I can't measure it. what's the outer diameter of an R154 flywheel? if the R154 fly fits in any of the SBC bellhousings, we're in business.

look at this bad motherfucker
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NASCAR-Tilton-Magnesium-Bellhousing-Chevrolet-02-/181079233658?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a2929d47a

$T2eC16FHJG8E9nyfmHnBBQ8cmjphgw~~60_57.JPG

magnesium bellhousing. comes with throwout bearing. $185 shipped.

you want a clutch to go with that? no problem, from the same seller...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NASCAR-Tilton-Triple-Disc-Clutch-w-New-Discs-/181076383481?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a28fe56f9

$(KGrHqFHJCsFBq0fLGw3BQkI1nZT6Q~~60_57.JPG

f
or $400 shipped you can have the tilton triple plate to go with it, with three brand new discs for whichever spline you need

wouldnt be able to use that bellhousing since i'd be fucked for figuring out a starter unless the adapter plate for chevy bellhousing uses a jz starter (just looked at pics, and i think it does). but then id think the input shaft would be too far from the pilot bearing.

but damn, thats a steal on that bellhousing and clutch shit.

all i have in front of me is a stock 1j pressure plate, but outside diameter of it is 11.00 inches

hmmm

Guest swim

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/85730-2jz-to-dogbox/

here you go, you might even be able to use a chevy flywheel, which would make the clutch shit EVEN EASIER, just get a bellhousing with the reverse-mount starter (trans side), if you can keep the downpipe from cooking the starter, which I doubt is an issue.

time to sell my R154 + 7M bell + 6-puck to a bandwagon faggot and get a muncie or borg t10. fuck. craigslist is fresh out of rebuilt road racing 4-speeds, but since I live in the suburbs of detroit old faggots have plenty of stock corvette 4-speeds collecting dust in their garages for $500 or best.

Guest Georgie-Porgie

The chevy bellhousing fits poorly in the Toyota, there is a lot of hammering to be done to get that shit to clear.

Quartermaster will make a custom flywheel to fit any of their multiplate clutches to any engine.

They keep the blank flywheels in stock.

Price - $350 or so.

And I just happen to have a w58 bellhousing to GM trans adaptor plate........

And it's a lot cheaper than $600 !

(I have the flywheel & 800hp twin disk clutch too, but it's not for a JZ)

Guest swim

for anyone willing to hack their tunnel up to fit this fucking shifter linkage

550450_404876396231731_1276250444_n.jpg

I seriously doubt the bellhousing area needing sledehammering is going to be a major concern.

i cant find that crank adapter anywhere that the dude listed on swims link

"boostwerks crank adapter' also i think he started to make his own...but i read that the dude was making his own adapter for an 8 bolt flywheel pattern and was going to use some .0025 bushings around the flywheel bolts to properly mate the flywheel to the crank.

i stopped reading after i saw that. im not putting any sort of bushing around my flywheel bolts thats going to make up a gap on a flywheel thats going to see 8k rpm lol

and yeah, my tunnel is already beat to hell and has holes in it and shit so im not worried about making a tunnel or whatever

Quartermaster will make a custom flywheel to fit any of their multiplate clutches to any engine.

They keep the blank flywheels in stock.

Price - $350 or so.

this is interesting, so i could send them a jz flywheel for measurement purposes and they will make one with same tooth count and center bolt pattern for a triple plate?

i like this idea better than using a crank adapter.

but then i will run into issues of the input shaft not reaching the pilot bearing. if i use the gm to jz adapter plate...then use the quartermaster flywheel....the input shaft wouldnt be long enough. so in the end...i think id have to run a flywheel spacer of some sort to set the proper lengths for proper TOB/inputshaft function

Guest swim

that's fucking gay.

put in a bid on a pair of cheap 110-tooth flywheels with the dodge/chevy 8-bolt nascar crank pattern, so I can have some shit to measure off of and for mockup purposes.

trying to sling my r154, because fuck it, I'm not using it anytime soon.

Guest Georgie-Porgie

The reason you can get a US made billet flywheel for that price, is that their 'button' flywheels are used with an auto flexplate from your engine.

Their flywheels don't have starter teeth, and you use a JZ flexplate along with their flywheel.

PM your e-mail, I'll send you pictures.

(or look at some of 'gordon's' old posts, or his stuff on Supraforums, ID 'sixpack)

this is interesting, so i could send them a jz flywheel for measurement purposes and they will make one with same tooth count and center bolt pattern for a triple plate?

i like this idea better than using a crank adapter.

a button flywheel setup would be legit. just have to source an auto 1j flexplate. rollout. then i could use the quicktime bellhousing from summit, bolt the TOB to it, bolt up trans, make trans mount, cut trans tunnel out, have driveshaft fabbed.

guess ill be sending the button flywheel plate an email to figure it out a little better

Guest swim

[edit: btw, wouldn't a 2jzge flexplate work just fine?]

either flywheel spacer, or I've heard of people using an input shaft spacer to make up for distance like that, since the input shaft sees less load than the crank.....

R154 gear ratios

1st --- 3.25 --- 46mph @ 7500

2nd --- 1.955 --- 76mph @ 7500

3rd --- 1.31 --- 114mph @ 7500

4th --- 1.00 --- 149mph @ 7500
5th --- 0.753 --- 198mph @7500

80mph in 5th happens at 3000rpm

borg warner super t10 close gear ratios

1st --- 2.88 --- 51mph @ 7500

2nd --- 1.75 --- 85mph @ 7500
3rd --- 1.33 --- 112mph @ 7500

no overdrive. 80mph in 4th happens at 4000rpm

muncie M20 (wide) gear ratios

1st --- 2.52 --- 59mph @ 7500
2nd --- 1.88 --- 79mph @ 7500

3rd --- 1.46 --- 102mph @ 7500

no overdrive. 80mph in 4th happens at 4000rpm

muncie made transmissions with even closer ratios than that m20, at the expensive of having a taller 1st, but I feel like starting out might be a sonofabitch with a 3 liter turbo motor, since it'd be damn near like starting out in 2nd on a normal transmission.

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

I like where this is going. XM guys, please work on this. I know a lot of us would be extremely happy to stop using overpriced R154's.

if XM came out with a reasonable priced (like all of their products) jericho or gforce style adapter bellhousing and had all the footwork figured out id buy it in a heartbeat.

I cant afford to just be buyin clutches and flywheels and transmissions to just test to see what fits. shit nigga damn

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

WE NEED THIS!! It would take at least a couple months though and you ain't got time fo dat.

Guest swim

I just want a reasonable priced JZ-to-chevy bellhousing plate, that'd keep our options open, you could do an LT1 T56 in addition to the 4-speed

Guest Georgie-Porgie

Could do a tracing of my , oh, I mean 'gordon's' W58 to T5 adaptor plate, but it would be difficult to hold any tollerances with transfer from plate to paper, back to plate.

I'll talk to Rue, to see if he has access to an electronic coordainate measuring device, that he could then produce a program with, to whack some out.