Sign in to follow this  
Guest gameface

Saw tha police an they rolled right paast me

you mean ford solid axle?

Gx71 diff is 8". Ford is an 8.8, and I think joes been having problems with that for some reason.

Yea. Too bad that's not very common didn't even consider gx71 an option.

I like joes solution but I hate x7s suspension. And after the diff start breaking axle stubs.

I got ideas but still have 3 more diffs to go.

I'm thinking 5 lug, dual calipers, no more worries, would be nice.

pinion spacer bro

im curious to see how much squirrels the diff can take with a solid spacer in it before blowing up

I want to try solid pinion spacer + weld and see how that goes on one of them.

Spend $20, and get the solid pinion spacer.

Spend $25, and get your output shafts cryo-treated, since what I have gathered, they are the next weak link.

Spend a little more, and get one of my T2 torsens.

well its not like i planned it out, grown kind of fond of x7s though

how much for the torsen?

$100 less than I have it on eBitch, plus shipping ($450+ shipping)

And you have to buy different shafts & bearings.

P/n 41309-22012 for the shafts (Non-LSD MkII, and MX71) You may already have some.

P/n 41309-24020 bearings (SC,GS300, MkIV non-turbo)

Or so I am told by people here...........

I'm stuck on this buildthread as I'm 99% done with my vvti 1j/x7 swap (all stock for now)

buy my hpi dp!

Thanks gordo I'm gonna think about it. I'm consider trying something else for the rear end... I'll talk about it so people can tell me I'm an idiot or criticize it but it seems like the logical thing to do.

So anyway I thought about mounting a different independent in the car but with how the subframes are its not really possible without way too much work... so basically the options that I see are stay stock diff and just upgrade what I can and replace stuff as it breaks... some shit is kinda expensive like buying 5 lug stubs is 400 or something. I hate the trailing arm setup on x7.

I was thinking about doing a ford 8.8... solid axle... easiest way to fix some of x7s suspension problems and rear end durability problems, also makes dual caliper setup, 5 lug, brake upgrade easier/cheaper to do. Maybe triangulated 4 link off the factory front subframe would probably be easiest. Cheap and readily available parts. Might be difficult to do the uppers off the subframe but I have to look it over and think it out. Also the problem of if there is room for a moving around driveshaft(obviously the stock loop is too small)

I still have 3 more diffs to go so we'll see plenty of time to think it out.

My goal is around 500hp but will probably settle for whats possible on pump gas. I also regularly abuse the car, drag, slides, autox. So might be an idea to plan ahead.

Maybe should cut my loses and just import a crown or jzx

I think solid axle is a win. For the longest time I wanted an rx80 subframe to go solid axle

If I was into hard line drag or drift, I would use a solid axle.

Seen an FT86 drift car that had a quick change sprint car axle under it.

That made a lot of sense !

Damn near infinate gear ratio changes just by pulling off the rear cover, and swapping the 2 little gears.

There should be a lot of them floating around, since they have been used on dirt tracks for 70+ years.

Speedway Motors (and about any other circle track supplier) has them listed.

I see a lot of old ones cleaned up and put in rat rods.

New ones cost an arm & a leg.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search.html?query=winters%20quick%20change%20rear%20end

How about a s13 rear subframe. Arms and diffs for those things a dime a dozen. Google s13 rear subframe on ae86 to get some ideas.

I do fancy the idea of a quick change in solid axle format under my car... can just swap the spots of the two gears to go from race mode to eco cruise mode. Lol. Best thing ever $70 gear changes. I don't know enough about quick changes to just up and do one though. Only concern would be the noise of the straight cut gears since atm I daily it. The initial cost to get a new one is fucking massive.... I think the ideal one would be the "street rod" application with the big bearing ford end/axles and 4.5 inch 5 lug. I saw for oval track apps they have a funky hub deal and bolt on rotor. I have more learning to do about them before considering it seriously.

Theres one on ebay right now with a cut tube - lol. Also looks like the spool quick changes are a lot cheaper but I do want some give for street. Found it funny they charge a extra $1000 for a polished unit.

I looked at the s13 subframe into ae86... man that's a lot of work. I thought about stuff like that but with x8 stuff or something. I figure to stay away from heavy body mods so I can swap to a new chassis without doing a lot of fab.. my current chassis has some rust problems and is far from a mint unit. I want to see if its possible to mount a solid rear off the factory rear subframe with a decently low ride height. But I have to figure out how long of links that I can fit and if that's even long enough and if I'd be able to get the upper links to mount high enough. I'm gonna put it on the drive on hoist to measure/take pics and see what room I have to work with and estimate where a solid axle would sit.

I figure to stay away from heavy body mods so I can swap to a new chassis without doing a lot of fab..

Like an X8?

I see gear sets on eBay from $40-$a lot more.......

There are several LSDs for the QC rear ends, including a Torsen (Gleason, as they went by years ago).

I just typed 'Quick Change rear end' into the top of eBay, and came up with over 750 listings.

Some of the rear ends already had disk brakes on them.

Yea what I was doing wrong was looking on eBay.ca instead of .com. Some pretty sick affordable ones, the open axle with inboard rotor/caliper is neat. Some of them have some pretty old brake setups on them. Nice thing is most of the short ones are around 56" which is perfect. Idk about using a open axle one or if they can be moded with axle tubes.

I'm considering picking one up for my 620 Datsun now.

I have a new LSD for it that hasn't been installed yet, that I can probably sell for more than a QC will cost.

Im starting to seriously consider it. Lots of replacement parts for good prices, cheap gear change, durable. Just a bit more costly to get into.

In my searching saw this in a 240

blog-0018.jpg

I was going through that stuff a little while ago, and swearing about all the neat crap, that was dirt cheap.

Extended capacity rear covers, aluminum LSDs, and all the $50 gear sets.

And what do I fucking work on ?

God damn fucking Cressida, that parts are hard to come by, and when somebody sees it, asks if it's a camry.......

Life isn't fucking fair. :(

welp my emanage died... still gonna mess with it more but, plugged in stock it runs fine... seems to be the airflow output driver got fried

I guess I'll be going stand alone, oh well was kind of annoying tuning the airflow output map anyway

Also got a DD ls400 now, got it for free... the one I fixed up for my mom, she wanted a gmc 4x4 more apparently. Whatever! Considering swapping everything over or just using the ls for a tow vehicle and keep as a dd.

So this probably concludes my spending on the cressida for the year... got other priorities right now l'm working as a apprentice at a audi dealer atm on flat rate with a pretty low dollar amount per hour. I make hours sometimes so it would be ok with a good rate. I have to do Diag, engine rebuilds and r&r, disassemble trans and reassemble, fix other peoples returns and yet I'm not allowed to do PDIs because I'm an apprentice. Have to work beside a huge douchebag, lots of bad attitudes and selfishness/greed from some other audi techs.That's my venting for now, don't want to go on about it. Anyway gonna build a cushion and if things don't change for the better I think relocating out of my shitty city would be fantastic whether I stay in the trade or not...

This experience is definitely making me a little sour about working in the trade but I want to get my journeyman/red seal at the very least. I do enjoy the part where I'm working on cars still but not the other stuff/drama and shit.

How'd you narrow it down to the output driver? I just left my job for similar girl ass shit. Good luck with that.