Guest OrlandoGTE11211

What gear oil is best for R154?

Ask dewayne

It's the ginger Kung fu death grip

another vote for redline products here.

i've used heavy and lite shock proof for years in customer cars and my personal cars, and it has performed great with no issues whatsoever.

nobody tried the royal purple? i use royal purple gear oil in my chevy diff and it always looks good when i change it. any one have luck with it in the R transmission?

I had a few people say the redline MT-90 wasn't all that great, I have to admit this summer using MT-90 in the R154, I thought the trans was great, mostly because I didn't even think about shifting for the last three months.

I hear more about problems with oil shifting to the back of the gearbox during acceleration, sometimes leaking/gushing out the shifter or anyplace the oil can go other than staying where it's supposed to be.

so add some lucas stabilizer to the mix to keep it from thinning down?

looking at my hot climate homies.

Add fine cut saw dust.

Really quiets a noisy trans or rear end down.

Then sell car quick !

I think this is where RedLine came up with the idea of adding plastic powder.

if you work in a shop, slide way lube stays on the gears better and doesn't slosh around as much

MT90 seems to be a consistent winner. Shockproof is hit or miss for causing buildup on synchros (would really like to know why it only happens to some people). Royal Purple is know for eating synchros. Haven't heard of anyone running Lucas or AMSoil at this point.

People with the build up may be running really hot for some reason.

Like too much power for the trans, or heat soak on a circuit type car.

But yeah, mine is getting MT90.

i dunno how long the trans i bought had sat empty so i filled it with some crap and a cleaning additive to run while i brake in my clutch (500 miles) and then i plan to drain it and refill it. i am still stuck i have heard good things about both mt90 and RP. are you guys all basing your performance of MT90 on drifting and beating the living piss out of your gear box?

"filled it with some crap and a cleaning additive"

Just when I thought I heard everything.........

3sq9x3.jpg

Here, this will take care of all your electrical problems too.....

smoke2.jpg

dude sometimes those computer chips need smoked released out of them

how have you never heard of cleaning detergents or the likes for cars. i would imagine marvel mystery oil was invented about the time you where 30 or so

In a manual trans............

Clean what ?

I have had 50 year old gear boxes appart, and nothing inside but gear oil.

The only thing I have ever get in one is water, and then the trans is shot anyway.

I hope you realize that some of that moose milk will harm the bronze syncros, right ?

That is why some of the GL5 and up gear oils don't work for shit in Toyota boxes.

Besides, I had to find some thread to use that Lord of the Rings facepalm image in :)

no i was unaware of the issues with toyota transmission and specific oils. i have ran moose milk threw other transmissions and not had an issue and with that retarded think i figured whats good for the gander is good for the goose.

Wait- you ran cutting fluid in a transmission? Are you retarded? Why would you use anything with a water emulsification as a pure lubricant? fucking olive oil would work better. Also, it's not just toyota transmissions. Any and all transmission work best with a given kind of gear oil. It's all based on construction. You cant just throw straight weight industrial gear oil in and expect it to work great.

I for one will say that I'm not a huge fan of any redline products. I still use it, because I havnt found anything better for the price. I like motul gear oil, it retained its shift properties better than my MT90 did in my last W58, but locally its also twice the price. I usually change my gear oil before it gets a chance to lose its additives anyways, since its got particulate in it before it even gets to that point :( hahaha.

Hooray for all the broken toyota transmissions!

who said cutting fluid. i put marvel mystery oil in with some normal everyday gear oil.

i thought he was talking about marvel mystery oil. my bad.

makes sense now thinking about cutting fluid after mixing it with water

Going to bump an old thread here...

A month or so ago, I had rebuilt a Nissan W71B 5-speed.

Nearly identical to the W58, except it came apart and went back together a lot easier than the W58.

Same style bronze syncros, same size bearings, shafts, shift forks, etc..

Since I had red line MT90 on the shelf, it went in.

Fucking thing shifted like shit !

Drained out the MT90, threw in some Mobil-1 gear lube.

It shifted better, but still not what I would expect out of a fresh rebuild.

Came across a thread on gear lubes & shifting problems that had a bunch of info, but basically saying that the new synthetics or semi-synthetics, although they meet GL-4 requirements, don't get the job done like an old dino lube.

One of the few remaining petroleum gear lubes around is made by CRC, under the Stay-lube name, in SAE85w90, and is sold at NAPA stores.

Picked up some, put it in the trans, and all shifting problems went away.

Guess I would rather change out gear oil once a year, than put up with shifting problems.

Good info, I'll stop by Napa and try some of that. My R154 shifts decently on the street with MT90 but trying to grab 3rd while drifting is a gamble

You should also try Shell MTX fluid, I've been hearing good things about it.

What, you can't find MTX ?

It's sold through both GM & Dodge dealers.

GM part number 10953509

Mopar part number 4761526