Sign in to follow this  
Guest mista_mr2

JZS147 Drift Limo

Guest mista_mr2

This is a copy/paste from my post @ clubaristo.net but I thought you guys would appreciate extra sh*t on a 2J

Car: 1992 Toyota Aristo JZS147 3.0V

Engine: 2JZ-GTE

Repairs:

OEM turbos from JZS161 VVTi 2JZ, approx 60,000kms

Water bypass pipe o-rings

turbo oil inlet/outlet gaskets

turbo water inlet/outlet gaskets

PCV Valve

Coil Pack Connectors (they fell to pieces) odd misfire when damp outside

Spark Plug Cover Bolt Set

Timing Belt Idler Pulley

OEM Timing belt

OEM Cam Seals

Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioner

Valve Cover Gasket and Seal Set

Downpipe Gasket

NGK Platinum Spark Plug 7088

Motor mounts from '98 VVTi Supra

Front Main Seal

Valve Cover Ventilation Hoses

5/16 Fuel Return Hose

Water Neck Gasket

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set

And any other Rubber lines/hoses I can replace while its all out.

Ill edit this post later with part #'s

Got these fresh stock turbos from a local guy doing a JDM swap and going single. so scored these for $150

IMG_1069.jpg

Turbo #1 was toast!

IMG_1079.jpg

typical water bypass leak

IMG_1076.jpg

All bolts off, they won't come off in car, remove the engine, search and read first unlike me... wasted time!

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

mounts were totally f'd

IMG_1096.jpg

leaky front main seal made a mess

IMG_1099.jpg

and they're off

IMG_1203.jpg

leaky valve covers

IMG_1219.jpg

The cam seals were cracked, and leaked down the inside of the timing covers, lucky belt didn't get any on it. Put new spark plugs in, gap set @ .028

Hit a roadblock on the bottom timing gear, my puller set doesn't have long enough small metric bolts to thread in, going to fastenal tonight to get some. Need a seal puller for the front main seal too I lost it.

Should hopefully have the timing complete tonight with new belt, tensioner and idler and valve covers installed

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

Got the bolts from brafasco and pulled the bottom timing gear off

Got the front main seal out with a screw driver quite easily and slapped the new one in with some pre-assembly lube

IMG_1368.jpg

need to get some hoses and vacuum lines replaced prior to torquing the valve covers down while they are easy to access.

eplaced vacuum lines and zip tied them

IMG_1381.jpg

DO NOT LET FRIENDS HELP WITH ASSEMBLY!!! JUST DO IT YOURSELF!!!

IMG_1384.jpg

tried to J B weld it back together.. it held real well, beated it with a hammer and everything... but it cracked again when torquing it down, new one on order 254$ :S :'(

IMG_1386.jpg

Timing going in

IMG_1393.jpg

mmm fresh belt looks so nice.. I can see me cropping this pic into an avatar.

IMG_1397.jpg

Drilled out the front subframe crossmember to accept the 98 supra OEM mounts.

IMG_1405.jpg

Both the main bolt hole and the dowel need to be expanded

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

cleaned up the exhaust manifold gasket surfaces

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

took the brass wire wheel to the coolant bypass, engine mount bracket and wp rear housing.. too bad the turbos will hide it

IMG_1417.jpg

placed the timing belt service sticker on... used the Japanese one of course!

IMG_1430.jpg

so slapping the turbos on goes well but the VVTi turbo oil drain pipes are different than non-VVTi... Front turbo (no.1)

the replacement turbos didn't come with a supply/drain line for the rear Turbo (no.2) so sorry I can't compare

IMG_1424.jpg

stock JZS147 oil lines on bottom, stock JZS161 oil lines on top... Front turbo (no.1)

IMG_1425.jpg

Using the JZA80 manual to get everything torqued in the right sequence.

IMG_1427.jpg

And they're on!

IMG_1441.jpg

Just have to work at plumbing/tieing everything in, testing the actuators and valves while its still accessible and then drop it in the car!

Guest mista_mr2

small update

coil packs serviced, heat shrinks added and epoxy on visible cracks.. re-wired the harness with new connectors, tape and loom. New valve cover vent tubes as well.

IMG_1460.jpg

Turbos plumbed in, vacuum lines changed everywhere on engine, some things got shined up with the brass wire wheel.

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

broke my heater valve removing the engine so I will bypass it for now. New hoses installed on car side so when I decide to get a new one the hoses are ready.

IMG_1465.jpg

Today or tomorrow the moulded oil cooler hose should arrive from toyota... then the engine can go back in!

open drift track day Aug 6th, Shannonville... deadline nearing.

Guest mista_mr2

finishing the engine bay prep..

IMG_1456.jpg

Dropped in

IMG_1466.jpg

supporting the tranny to line things up

IMG_1469.jpg

installed driveshaft

IMG_1475.jpg

new tranny mount

IMG_1477.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

Well I made it!

The motor was in and complete 10pm sunday night (aug 5th), made it to the track at 3am!

Went out for 7 runs at about 2-3 laps each, managed to get the tires roasting a bit despite the parallel turbo operation (busted a VSV).

Last run the rad cracked on the top tank and ended the day around 130pm. I was still having overheating issue prior - due to not having the vacuum bleeder to suck the air out, live and learn dumbass!

Mishimoto supra mk4 3-core rad on order.

for now some stuff from the track

IMG_1517.jpg

th_aristo.jpg

photobucket sucks you cant watch the movie from the forum you will get re-directed. from there you can see some other footage from the track too

...yes i come off the track second lap, im still picking mud and grass out from underneath, lucky i didn't f*ck the rims

...the beeping is a mis-configured rev/speed display

have a laugh! Goo Autoristo!!!

th_aristo_2ndrun.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

I see Shannonville, what event was that for?

TOPP / Shannonville sponsored 'open drift day' - check the shannonville website.

(trick'd out performance parts)

Next one is Sept 3rd. $85 driver $10 spectator, spectators can ride passenger on track for free. Helmets required.

Come check it out!

Guest zOmBiEsTyLe

Ahh nice, i might make it out to the sept 3rd one, finishing the wiring on my car now so i can shakedown the bugs on the 3rd. Then im gonna try and go to Club Loose Freedom Moves on the 7th

Guest mista_mr2

My headgasket is f*cked so I wont be tracking it.. ill stop by and watch tho!

I'm moving my other topic into this one going forward I will put all my sh*t in here.

Guest mista_mr2

So in anticipation of the new rad showing up, I started removing the front bumper and test fitting my new cooler arrangements.

Pulled the bumper cover off to find a smashed steel bumper

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

So did the ol' redneck and chained her up to the truck

IMG_1567.jpg

managed to pull it pretty damn straight, but the bumper is toast, next time it gets hit the front end's caving in! will replace it this winter, fuggit for now.

IMG_1566.jpg

and the passenger fender was pushed in a bit, here's a view from the inside... note the bumper bolts are too close to the body to get a socket in there... had to crowbar the fender out a bit to get access.. slut!!

IMG_1556.jpg

Tranny cooler, removed the vertical support bracket, power steering cooler, deleted the hydrofan cooler (might use this to upgrade the PS cooler)

IMG_1568.jpg

front mount intercooler

IMG_1573.jpg

testing bumper fitment

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

You can see its just about an inch too low, I'll have to massage it in and make a shroud for the bottom from a crazy carpet or something.

IMG_1579.jpg

started mocking up the intakes, gonna try and hardpipe it all if i can... got everything in just need 2 90's and a few straight lengths, couplers clamps and done... well gotta make brackets for the coolers..

IMG_1582.jpg

More to come... waiting for the rad.

Guest mista_mr2

well it showed up friday so I had my work cut out for the weekend

IMG_1592.jpg

mount old fans... yes i know ruining the new rad with the zip clips... broke right now .. shroud later

IMG_1590.jpg

drilling out the pinch welds for the rad mounts.. starting with a center punch, then really small bit, larger bit, larger bit... until the stepper fits in then home run

IMG_1598.jpg

until the stepper fits in then home run

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

dropped the rad in place, it rests perfectly where the subframe supports, used cardboard to level it up

IMG_1604.jpg

took the existing brackets and cut them up to fit

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

tack in place, (while the rad is sitting in the mount of course)

IMG_1619.jpg

weld the rest, my welds are shit I know... garage barely has enough amps to run the mig and I'm still a newb at it... good enough for now they hold.

IMG_1624.jpg

lather, rinse repeat for the other side... then some tremclad spray to seal it up

IMG_1630.jpg

mounted the tranny/PS cooler to the AC condenser

IMG_1631.jpg

ol ziptie trick... i was getting lazy after midnight

IMG_1633.jpg

power steering.. just cut the existing lines short and slap them on the new cooler

IMG_1634.jpg

ran out of hardpipes, so I decided to hack up the long one that used to go around the bumper..

IMG_1636.jpg

hell ya!

IMG_1637.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

So drove home from work on friday and came out of a lot that was a bit steep and scraped......

drove down the road and heard a dinging sound... so I look in my mirror to see my intercooler core on the ground, cars dodging it... oooh ff**ckkk

so kijiji that night $150 got setup with a 8"tall x 28" wide, 3.5" deep ic, with 2.5" inlet/outlets.... so slapped it in on this weekend. The outlets are also on the side so I'll be able to wrap the pipes around the frame instead of under.... (which is why the last ic was mounted low)

chop the bumper for clearance

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

took some aluminium strips, bent them up and pop-rivet into place

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

runs good now, and no worries bottoming it out.

This IC screammmms!!

Guest mista_mr2

Picked up a few things on the weekend...

IMG00266-20121114-2355.jpg

IMG00264-20121114-2354.jpg

IMG00260-20121114-2346.jpg

IMG00259-20121114-2345.jpg

IMG00258-20121114-2345.jpg

Getting closer....

got an R154 from a JZX90 !

IMG00278-20121115-1743.jpg

picked up a spare 2jz motor (no turbos) for $400 so i will replace the engine for now instead of rebuilding to solve my head gasket issue.

Guest mista_mr2

i pulled it out of the jzx90 myself

IMG_1798.jpg

perhaps it was not the original tranny. what would you be suggesting its from, soarer?

it has the electronic speed sensor.

apparantly 1st is blown so i will be re-building it and beefing it up a bit.

parts supplier recommendation? (other than toyota or driftmotion)

Could've been. I always wondered if first couple years had the normal style since i think 95 was the first year of tripod in the sc. I believe Gordon had said a guy on eBay sold a quality kit with the jaP made bearings.

Guest mista_mr2

So picked this up for $400

20130127_131059.jpg

I'm confident its from an aristo judging by the oil pan.

No turbos, pulleys are all f'd / bent up, missing traction tps and servo, no startericon_sad.gif ..theres a timing sticker for 100k kms and judging by the oil seepage everywhere its probably closer to 200k....

complete harness, injectors, coils

not too shabby though.

they said it fell around inside the shipping container and a forklift f*k up so the shop sold parts off it then got stuck because his main clientele needs complete swaps. Score!

Leak-down and compression tests to come to make sure its worth swapping... or if its a tear down rebuild. I need to be ready by April!!!

PART_1359125455242_IMG_8281jpg.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

So 3 guys, 3 hours ..

20130130_215326.jpg

Originally took the spark plug valley cover off to see the condition of the coils.. well the wires were all f'd and the coils were loose and shoved in wrong....

So I got this gut feeling that this motor might be more f'd than I was led on to believe... so we began tearing it down....

and lucky me another toyota engine with a failed head gasket... apparently its my destiny... 3 for 3 ! That's a hat trick do I get a prize?

20130130_225552.jpg

20130130_225619.jpg

The gut was right. FML.

20130130_2307530.jpg

The cylinder walls, pistons and combustion chambers/valves all looked fine so hopefully a clean-up with some new rings, fresh valve guides, seals and some decking, cylinder honing and get er back together...

Ill tear the bottom end down on the weekend and see what other cans of worms I can open!

Still $400 is not bad....

Guest mista_mr2

broken alternator mounting tab .. urgh

bottom rotating assembly seems fine, spins nice....but final teardown and look at the journals will tell the real story.

Looking at the timing covers - the plastic mounting tabs were warped so there is signs of extreme over heating.. gotta pray the gasket is what let go and not a crack in the head

Got Milk ?

20130201_000752_zps3e281ad5.jpg

20130201_002858_zps59ccf282.jpg

20130201_003021_zps1e6558ab.jpg

20130131_232637_zps3da56f1b.jpg

She's freezzing!

20130131_233129_zps3ba5a136.jpg

Guest mista_mr2

so bad news...

20130202_191936_zpsd4b9522a.jpg

20130202_192239_zps32100bbf.jpg

20130202_192435_zpsdd2f048d.jpg

seized rings..

20130202_192202_zps59f7d514.jpg

everything looks repairable the worst spot on the crank is rod 1

20130202_191537_zpsafef0337.jpg

and rod 5

20130202_191747_zps62a23590.jpg

... a good polishing should save the crank? it doesn't look too bad.