Sign in to follow this  
Guest OrlandoGTE11211

MAP Sensor

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

So today while I was fabricating something underneath my hood I noticed my map sensor was just dangling around behind my intake manifold..I pulled it forward to inspect the wires and the vacuum line attached to it,now I went to start the car up and it was running incredibly shitty,were talking 10.0 AFR at idle and it just stalled out after a second of idling.I returned the sensor back to the dangling position behind the intake manifold and it runs okay again,has anyone ever had this issue before? I typed MAP or Turbo Pressure Sensor in the search bar,couldn't find anything related to this one issue. I am hoping the sensor isn't on it's way out though.I also know it's suppose to be bolted down on the intake manifold but I just don't know were.

undo the vacuum line and make sure there is no condensation in the sensor or line... the sensor is suppose to be mounted with the vacuum nipple pointed down so that no moisture sits in the sensor

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

So that would explain why the sensor being pulled forward triggered the car to run like shit.I'll check it, is it suppose to be mounted somewhere on the intake manifold? or does it not have a location due to it not being placed in the original car.

if its running shitty and throwing 10s, its probably the reading the sensor is throwing to the ecu or lack there of

wire is probably getting pinched or something idk

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

I feel like this sensor is causing other problems,I'll have to really look over it and make sure it's operating properly. I need to fix some issues before I can get it dyno tuned...which is unfortunate.

Guest Mitto

The sensor is meant to be mounted on the fire wall above the intake.

It does sound likes a loose wire could be causing it, hence the reason it works better while hanging.

Pull the plug apart and check the connections. Have you tried using another sensor? If you have access to one of course...

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

I have someone who is willing to let me try there sensor so I will defiantly try that. Are the mounting location for the 7m map sensor the same as for a 1j?

Guest Mitto

Hang on I'll see if I can dig up a pic of mine.

I had a similar issue with mine, idled like shit. Checked all vac lines blah blah blah.

Last idea was to check map, had a 2j one laying around, plugged that sucker in and idled like a champ.

Opened up the 1j connector plug and wires were pretty loose.

Guest Mitto

Here's an old pic of where mine is bolted too.

I don't have one closer and don't really feel like going out in the cold just to take one photo.

If you cant work it out from this photo then you don't belong near an engine bay ^_^

(edit) to make it that little bit easier, follow the red vac line inside the green circle near the big red arrow. kbyenaow!

7609268570_029ca642ff_b.jpg

BTW I googled "1jz map sensor location" and one of the first pic's I got was this.

198010d1296048828-1jz-help-identifying-this-plug-new-sterns-019-map-sensor-locations.jpg

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

Thank you,I really appreciate it.It's thundering outside right now,so I can't even go out there to bolt it down. I should move the shit in my garage and pull it in -_-.

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

Generally if it's not functioning properly,your AFR will be off the wall from my experience. Also if you read above you will see that bwcressida states that there shouldn't be any condensation in the vacuum line,also it should be mounted unlike mine.. But that's ghetto Jamaican engineering for you..

Guest OrlandoGTE11211

@Mitto,why does the 2nd picture have 2 sensors circled? Lol.

Guest Mitto

Second circled sensor on the wheel arch is for JZA70 digital dash turbo light from what I've read.

Don't worry bout that.

Sign in to follow this