Guest swim

x8 tension rods, are you kidding me?

Guest swim

Got my shiny new XM tension rods in the other day, took my old stuff off the car. go to line the new tension rods up with the old ones to figure out what length to set them to, and see this:

8074_10151013085893349_1549402475_n.jpg

552738_10151013084808349_524283721_n.jpg

XM rods are longer, so you get less caster with them. In fact, the shortest setting on the XM rods is slightly longer than stock. Ergo, the wheel sits further back in the well, closer to the frame, further from the tub. [edit: double double checked that measurement, depending on how the rods sit in the bushing, they may be able to go up to stock caster, or maybe a cunt hair more than stock, but they won't be pulling my wheels forward by any noticeable amount. I stand by my point that if the adjustment range went in the other direction, they'd be useful.]

Why?

With my previous setup, I was overcentering badly, and rubbing the frame at lock. To remedy this, I made longer control arms, got coilovers with camber plates, and ordered tension rods. The plan was to move the balljoint out with the longer control arm and pull it forward with a shorter tension rod, then flip the camber plates around to take caster back out, which from what I understand is relatively common practice. Except the tension rods don't let you do that.

What possible benefit is there to tension rods that will only adjust to be much longer than stock?

Mitch, or Rich, can I send these back or exchange them for shorter ones?

Guest swim

And just triple checked the invoice, the tension rods are in fact T-MX83-FTR: "Toyota Cressida MX83 Front Tension Rod".

Guest swim

regardless, why does the adjustment only let you push the wheels further back than the stock rods, not let you pull them forward? fuck.

I was going to get these in order to move the wheel forward I can't honestly believe they are right xm would have thought of this

i dunno buddy i run more then stock caster with these for sure... i know mark(axphero) used to run alot of caster with these things too... i think you fucked up when you drilled those s13 arms... but then again from what i see your whole suspension setup seems alittle off to me... to say the least... but it could just be me

im pretty sure the root of your problem is frankenstien..

You cant expect the rods to work just because you have an mx83...

Im sure your root cause has something to do with s13 everything upfront. maybe try running adjustable s13 rods? haha

But Im sure Rich (excessive) will whip you up a custom setup if that is what you desire.

Guest swim

I knew redoing the LCA's like this would push the wheel back with the stock rod, so I bought the XM rods to pull it back forward. except the XM rods don't go much shorter (if at all) than stock. probably going to take them off and chop them down ~1.5".

I'd call them man there must be a reason. I have their stuff and I can have like 8 deg if I so choose.

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

Pros run 8+ degrees of caster (pulling the wheel forward). Going towards the back of the wheel well is bad.

Troy here in aust and joash both run XM and both had more then 8+ but there running full X8 everything. not have nissan half X8

Guest swim

just got off the phone with rich from XM...

for people that are doing normal X8 stuff, you can run a jam nut (half-height) on the back of the tension rod to get extra caster if desired.

I measured what length arms I would need to pull the wheel forward with my current mods, and it's more than you'd be able to get out of changing how the current rods attach, but XM can make whatever length rods are needed if you can measure shit and provide a design for them to make custom.

so yeah, they get a thumbs up from me.

Just thought I'd mention this- I was over at a friends place, who has a X8 that he drifts. I noticed he had some XM tension rods- he said he had to cut them like 3" to fit, because he had S13/14 hybrid shit up front.

Tension rods meant for an X8 don't work with the S13 and S14 shit. There was so much neg castor that he couldn't even get his wheels on.

What does this mean? XM isn't to blame. This part is confirmed to not work with bastardized S chassis suspension.

It's just odd that the range of adjustment goes in a direction that isn't useful. If I had maxed them out and still needed more adjustment I wouldn't even be mad, but when I saw that when adjusted to be as short as possible they were still longer than stock, that's what made me say what the fuck XM

mine work great on my car, although the tension rod bushing inserts they sell aren't worth shit if your main bushings are toast. Needs more heim.

Go solid bushings like what im running.

Will post a picture up one day of all the solid bushes i have

Kyle I only recently put those tension rod bushings in, made a big difference. My drivers (your passenger) side was fucked.

After I put the bushes in the steering tightened up big time. There's very little play in the steering now as opposed to before, much more direct.

I can imagine how much better it would be with fresh stock/aftermarket bushes. Mind you if I had the option of heim joints, they would be the obvious choice...

Rob when you going to start producing these bushes man? I need more soild bushes.

My cars going track only at the end of this year. Help a fellow convict out...

When i get my computer back so i can get back on solid works.

been held up trying to find a good manufacture in Australia who does not want to charge me stupid amounts of money for bushes to be made.

Im looking at buying in sets of 10 till i can afford have market to buy in bigger production but yeah at the moment it sucks to deal with some aussie companies and i dont want to go offshore but might have to just to be able to compete in the market.