Mo

1JZ-GTE VVT-i vs 1JZ-GTE

There's a lot of garbage being spread around about the VVT-i 1JZ engines. I've heard this from numerous people and all of them have made the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i seem worse than a 7M by the way the define it's "Weak internals." Let's put a fat dirty boot through this bull shit and get this straight. You're an idiot if you choose to go with a non VVT-i 1JZ if you have the option of getting a VVT-i motor. I've driven a few non VVT-i 1JZ and I absolutely hate their lack of power. After being around 3 VVT-i powere vehicles, I must admit, the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i feels much more like the torque monster 2JZ than weak sauce non VVT-i 1JZ.

1JZ-GTE

1jzgteb.jpg

The 1JZ-GTE employs twin CT12A turbochargers arranged in parallel and blowing through a side-mount or front mount air-to-air intercooler . With an 8.5:1 static compression ratio, the factory quoted power and torque outputs are 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm and 363 newton metres (268 lbf·ft) at 4800 rpm respectively. The bore and stroke are the same as for the 1JZ-GE: 86 mm (3.39 in) bore × 71.5 mm (2.81 in) stroke. Yamaha may have had a hand in the development or production of these motors (possibly the head design), hence the Yamaha badging on certain parts of the motor, such as the cam gear cover. In 1991, the 1JZ-GTE was slotted into the all-new Soarer GT.

The early generation 1JZ-GTEs combined the inherent smoothness of an inline 6-cylinder engine with the revving capacity of its short stroke and early power delivery of its small, ceramic wheeled turbochargers. The ceramic turbine wheels are prone to delamination in the setting of high impeller rpm and local temperature conditions, usually a result of higher boost. The first generation 1JZ's were even more prone to turbo failure due to there being a faulty one-way valve on the head, specifically on the intake cam cover causing blow-by gases to go into the intake manifold. On the exhaust side, a decent amount of oil vapor flows into the turbos causing premature wear on the seals. The later second generation engines had this problem fixed and in Japan there was actually a recall in order to repair the first generation engines, though that does not apply to 1JZ's imported to other countries. The fix is simple, and involves replacement of the PCV valve (2JZ); all parts are available through Toyota.

1JZ-GTE VVT-i

1jz_childrens_museum.jpg

800px-1JZ-GTE_VVT-i_engine_in_1989_Toyota_Cressida.jpg

The third generation of the 1JZ-GTE was introduced around 1996, still as a 2.5-litre turbo, but with Toyota's BEAMS architecture.[2] This included a reworked head, newly developed continuously variable valve timing mechanism (VVT-i), modified water jackets for improved cylinder cooling and newly developed shims with a titanium nitride coating for reduced cam friction.[3] The turbo setup changed from parallel twin turbo (CT12x2) to a single turbo (CT 15B). The adoption of VVT-i and the improved cylinder cooling allowed the compression ratio to be increased from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1. Even though the official power figures remained at 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm, torque was increased by 20Nm to 379 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) at 2400 rpm. These improvements resulted in increased engine efficiency that reduced fuel consumption by 10%. The adoption of a much higher efficiency single turbocharger than the twins as well as different manifold and exhaust ports were responsible for most of the 50% torque increase at low engine speeds.

1JZ engine was used primarily in Toyota's X chassis cars (Chaser, Mark II, Cresta, Verossa), the Crown Athlete V (JZS170) and in the later JZZ30 Soarer, as the JZA70 Supra was long discontinued by this time.

"you're an idiot if you go non vvti if you have the option of getting a vvti motor"

Depends on your budget and goals. For a stockish daily type vehicle, yes. For big power and budget, no.

You can build a 400whp non vvti for 2 grand including engine no sweat if you can put in work.

$1,800 on a tomei kit for vvti 1j gets you 480 ponies. Vvti motors sell cheaper than non because of the connecting rod myth.

tomei kit is like 1400

thank for driving up the vvti prices, supposed to let the kids think VVTi = 50000 more wires, and they will never be able to wire it. =)

Mo you're a fucking tard. Last time I checked they don't sell cheaper. They did, but it was because of a lack of aftermarket support and the fact that there was no market. And where's proof of 480 horses for $1800? What did Tomei use to tune to get said 480?

I don't believe that 480 for shit

The vvti are almost always more expensive based on the fact that its newer. Most times that's the only difference between the two that the importers know.

Well their graph doesn't hit the 480 mark, pretty sure it's all engine not wheel, and says they use the expreme dump pipe too. You fags wanna see real numbers, wait til jimmy (bippu) gets his car in.

But mo needs to stfu about this. $1400 gets the turbo and shit to your door. Another 900 or so gets the cams there. Then there's injectors. Now it's ready for a tune. $2400 can get you a non vvti 1jz and 400whp, rather than just the parts to get there. After a 15% drivetrain loss, 470 turns into 399.5

Dirkah

Oh! I'm so sorry, silly me, let me correct that. 465hp. What next, you guys are going to claim that it's an iPhone app that ran these numbers?

My finger is twitching on the ban button and I'm sure it doesn't mind either. You fucking turd I used to see VVTi engines sell $800 cheaper on average just a year ago than the non VVT-i. Are you butt hurt because you spent money on a non vvti? Don't take your anger out in here, go take it on your forehead against your wall.

These threads are put in here to have corrected or helpful information added to so it can be a guide, not for your stupid debates. You want to debate, take it to the bullshitters you bullshit.

I have vvti and non vvti in the same configuration, holset, tial, 4" dp. FYI, it cost me $1600 to build my vvti setup including my Emanage, and could squeeze 400whp out of the 440s at 18psi I'm sure. My non vvti did on the same setup. Definitely wasn't safe, which is why I'm back at 1 bar. And I won't push the vvti there until I have a minimum of 550cc injectors.

They ran those tests on an engine dyno, they also used the Tomei expreme manifold and exh outlet as stated in the graph. So you're basically looking at hoping to eclipse the 400whp mark with a bunch of money. Like I said, a year ago the support for this engine wasn't there, and a lot of it was uncharted territory which scared most people away, hence the price because you want to move product to make money. Now that all that has changed, vvti's stock is rising.

vvti prices definitely went up, and i think it's your fault kyle. i can find at least 4 threads on here where you explain how great vvti is over non- and everyone knows the bandwagon kids suck on the teat of jzxp for knowledge. every time i see a vvti 1jz for more than a couple hundred over a non-vvti, i'm going to call it "kyle tax."

After some editing, I managed to extract some useful information from kyle and delete the rest of the bull shit. Now, lets keep it informative as these will be stickied depending on how useful these types of threads become.

also can we stop talking about non-vvti 1jz like ANYONE even uses the stock twins?

soon all the vvti 1jz's will have to at least have a rebuilt turbo on there. toyota turbos are crap when they get old and I'm pretty sure more than half the vvti 1j's shipping these days have big old oil ponds in their piping.

I also want to add that since the VVTi 1JZ is newer, the wiring is in better condition. All the TT 1J's I've seen had baked crispy harnesses and plugs. Both VVTi motors I've seen still had flexible and clean wiring and connectors. It's something to consider.

Also, things like the IACV valve are usually shitty the older it is, same with the coils.

Guest Skitzo

You guys want real number of the tomei kit? Well, here is a couple from JZX100.com, with a third yet to be tuned. For 1400 bolt in, they seem a decent package. A lot better value than the HKS kits.

272rwkw/370 rwhp @ 17psi on 98 RON.

Power fc

Hpi dump

800cc injectors(cause he considering going e85 in future)

Walbro 255lph drop in pump

Zorst

Greddy cooler

HKS intake

Ngk Leads

Gizzmo EBC

Apparently is more responsive with a Profec.

20120331_173947.jpg

20120331_173937.jpg

And another through an auto. 245rwkw/328rwhp @ 18psi.

post-1974-0-34338000-1334304660.jpg

Thanks Richard. Thats exactly what I'm talking about.

My apparently stock non vvt 1j made 610nm(450lbft) with a baby td06 20g L2 8cm on 25psi, 38mm tial, cooler, 650s, 98RON and not much else. Looking at those VVT dyno sheets, this seems like a lot to me? Especially for an engine that should have melted years ago.

Uh, that thing is missing a lot of shit. Ac, alternator, ecu, probably maf and igniter. He last two are easy enough to source, but still, x100 ecus go for high dollar. So add at least another $500 for the missing shit, then add shipping if you're not local and your deal just turned sour. A year and a half ago this woulda been $8-900

There's one on eBay right now for a grand complete as fuck, but I'm willing to bet the turbo is toast because they aren't usually a rock-bottom-price type place. Fucking niggers wouldn't come off the price of another engine I wanted whether I picked it up cash or used their free shipping which makes no fucking sense, and they also wanted $2100 for a 1jz bottom end with 2jz top end, with wirin that obviously had piggy backs wired in. So yeah, you gotta wonder.

Oh, and here's a link to the manifold I bought, it WAS a huge pile of shit.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280883448434&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=77318259678

I had to enlarge holes on both the head and turbo flange, had to completely reshape the gate dump, then have every single sealing flange decked. Then the weld that they did directly above my mod to the gate dump cracked and had my gate hanging probably half way to mineral fucking wells. So now after all that, it's fine.