Guest Jspec603

My bitch in the making...

Guest Jspec603

What's up ya'll! Just wanted to post up where I'm at with my project. The car has pretty much been sitting in storage since I posted my intro. Have been waiting for the proper timing to get shit rollin, glad I did. The original thoughts were to grab a 1j and do the swap, being the 7M is garbage and I bought it with a blown head gasket. Then time passed, saw some other things unfolding around me. Then I made the fatal "mistake" of going to NHMS and watching Roy drift his 1U cressida. The sound alone had me sold. Anyways, enough with the blah blah blah bullshit.

Here's how she sat when I first went to pick it up and brought it back to the shop.

2011-08-261926211.jpg

2011-08-26192554.jpg

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0066.jpg

Checked it over, pretty solid car for an 89! Decided to gut the interior, no one likes torn blue seats and ratty carpet anyways!

Photo0063.jpg

Photo0064.jpg

So then I started to think of options. Rebuild the 7M (no), do a 1 or 2jz swap... blah blah blah. Then I stumbled onto this! Picked it up for $600! Was 2hrs away on the cape in Mass. Car had been sitting for a bit, but with a booster pack and air in the tire, it fired right up and was able to drive it onto the trailer. BTW, fuck Boston traffic with a truck and loaded trailer!

LS400-1.jpg

LS400-2.jpg

LS400-3.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Nothing too exciting as of yet, have been takin the Lex apart. Salvaging any of the parts from the chassis that will be needed for the swap.

lex.jpg

The tranny was a fucking cunt to separate from the engine. Damn dowel pins were corroded right in.

lex2.jpg

1uz.jpg

This is pretty much where is sits at the moment. Ordered a bunch of parts to refresh the 1U, from rockauto. Some have arrived, the rest should be here before the weekend. Once I'm done replacing all the shit, I'll be bringin the cressida back in to start removing the boat anchor from the bay.

Guest Yotarip

Grab the throttle cable. Grab the steering rack and lines if you have the skills to install the rack in the cressida.

Guest Jspec603

I've read mixed reviews on the rack. People are claiming that it makes the swap easier due to clearance on the steering shaft, but you lose turning radius. I've seen other posts where people have relocated the rack on the subframe. And yet others that have the OE cressida rack with a modded header. This is something I'm going to need to figure out asap when it comes time to drop the motor into the chassis.

Guest DuaxMachine

When you haul the lex to the scrap yard, don't forget the cressida drivers seat, it weighs nearly 70 pounds.

Guest Jspec603

cressida drivers seat is as good as gone. Already have a OG Bride Zeta ready to go in.

@MikeRN- you want the Lex visor?

dude. after it's all said and done, you better make money on your swap. part out that lexus and put the cressida seats and 7m in the trunk. 4000lbs of scrap at $0.20 = $800... and parting the tranny and some lexus tidbits should make you another $500 give or take. keep receipts? post up dollars and cents. im more interested in that than your steering rack gayness.

That's funny, I talk to Roy while driving my 1jz and he says he wishes he went 1j haha

Good start

Guest Jspec603

Jason, that's the plan! I'll see what I can do with the numbers when it all goes to the yard. To be honest, I'd be happy to only make the fuel costs back to get it from the cape, $200. But there should be ZERO reason not to break even or come out on top.

Kyle, He said the same to me. Kinda on the fence and prob would do 1j if he were to do it again. But it was the sound man, so mean. lol Worst case if I get sick of it, I'll sell it and switch!

That faggot said he wishes he went with a 1j afrer blowing up his junkyard 500,000 mile motor? Seriously? He calls me all excited about how it runs and how much he loves it then changes his mind after grenading it. Typical 240 faggots cant man up.

He said that before. Haven't talked to him since

he said it for the same reason i did. a 1J you can order, wire, drop in, and go. a UZ takes a lot more time and personal effort to get it going. everything has to be made, and when i started nothing was available.

the wiring is the easiest part. everything else is a pain, and at the end of the day, a stock 1J makes more power than a stock UZ. even your car took a few months mo, with daft and brandon doing a lot of figuring-stuff-out for you, like the steering rack, and the wiring. a 1J is a weekend affair if you just want it in the car and running.

Hey steve, where do you get your information about MY BUILD? I need to know this because it sounds to me that you're making yourself seem to others that you were around my car when it was going through the swap. If all your making is assumptions, then I think you should shut the fuck up.

All the shit you can buy to make a UZX since before your UZX project till today can be bought without any fabrication. All the fabrication was done by Daft on my car which XM sells the motor mounts readily. The shit brandon did for my car, he's been selling since way before I even thought about doing a UZX. Brandon machined UHMW motor isolators instead of the options you have today. The whole rack shifting idea wasn't Daft's claim, it was his friend, Ray who did it for emissions purposes, not because it's mandatory in this swap. You get it? For CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS PURPOSES. There's been UZX Swaps in Australia way way before mine and it's been documented to modify the header to clear the rack which is no fucking big deal compared to actually shifting the rack.

The rack itself is just cutting off the driver side mounting point and welding it further outboard so it can clear the shaft. Brandon machined a 4" spacer to shift my inner tierod outwards to compensate for the relocation. The reason my swap took a few months is because my job keeps me away from home about a month to a month and a half and when I'm home for the 3-6 days, the last thing I want is to spend all my time wrenching and getting greasy. This is why my shit took so long, not because Steve thinks that other people did my swap for me.

Guest Jspec603

This is all fun and shit but really? Can you guys take you differences elsewhere? This is my build thread, not a fucking discussion on who knows more about what. You both seem to have knowledge of the 1U swap which is great. I'd like to possibly bounce a few ideas off both of you trough out the build. But seriously....

KINDLY GTFO OF HERE IF YOUR GONNA ARGUE LIKE OLD MARRIED PEOPLE.

He started it..

Guest Jspec603

Been busy, but got a few things done on the 1UZ. Deleted the EGR, de pinned the harness for the egr wiring and traction control wiring. Pulled the valve covers and intake mani to get powder coated. Finally got in all the timing components, plugs, caps and rotors and cam seals. Made some quick block off plates for the EGR system. On to some boring pics. Note the wood under the pan. This motor is only 330lbs, but that silly chinese engine stand was flexing like a mofo. Rated for 750lbs my ass.

wiring1.jpg

egr1.jpg

egr2.jpg

egr3.jpg

manifold1.jpg

valvetrain.jpg

NewImage.jpg

Guest Jspec603

Time for a needed update. After my powder coater taking a while with my parts, I finally got them back and reassembled the rest of the engine. I was going to go with my favorite teal color on the valve covers, but I chose the black because I still have no idea what color this car will end up as. Need to stay neutral. Also got my coils in today! Will be ordering up the tranny adapter soon as well. On to some pics.

XMmounts.jpg

Photo0287.jpg

Photo0288.jpg

Photo0291.jpg

Photo0297.jpg

Photo0298.jpg

Photo0300.jpg

Photo0301.jpg

Photo0303.jpg

Photo0304.jpg

Photo0309.jpg

Photo0312.jpg

Photo0296.jpg

Photo0294.jpg

Photo0293.jpg

Photo0292.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

Does Roy know you're jacking his style?

Guest Jspec603

Why, because the covers are wrinkle black?

Roy, would you like me to pull my covers and have them coated something else...

Don't worry Kyle, this is where the similarities will stop. Promise, just for you. :wub: There is more to the story why they are black than what is said, but that is moot at this point.

Guest RoyRogers

nah i could care less... shit looks awesome. i dont get made when people do the same shit i do i get flattered because someone else likes the look... not to mention i was not the first one to do this probably soo yeah. good job man keep the updates coming.