Guest swim

h8mvmt

figured it was time to start acquainting myself with the 3800 EMS

ccddad82b13511e29f5522000a9f14ae_7.jpg

there's a lot of fucking shit nobody needs going on in the main engine loom since it's OBDII with an electronically controlled auto, and the PCM being mounted by the airbox makes the routing kind of awkward. if I'm going to put the PCM in the car (probably going to make the harness longer and hang it into the passenger footwell or make it take up the entire glovebox since it's huge), so that means the harness routing will be pretty much backwards since I'm moving the PCM from by the driver headlight to through the firewall on the passenger side. so... unlooming the entire harness, deleting everything I don't want, and once I figure out what the engine is going to look like (throttle body, MAF, IACV, IAT location in particular since that all depends on how I do the RWD conversion on the engine) I'll shorten and extend wires to fit then loom it up.

23af62bcb14611e2afd022000aaa0950_7.jpg

here's what I cut out after round 1 of deleting shit

this new job is NUTS. I was expecting to be doing bullshit work but they hired me straight in as a machinist running a big fuckoff OKK CNC mill. I can't believe they threw me in the deep end and started me out doing production pieces that have tolerances as tight as +.0000 -.0010" on some features. yesterday I almost scrapped a plate because I entered ".0050" instead of ".0005" in for a cutter length compensation.

60 hours a week means less time but more money for the x8. and I can't start saving 20% of my salary until I'm there for 90 days, so starting next week I'll have a little extra change to blow on this piece of shit, haha.

I'm learning a shitload watching this big bastard cut things all day.

28b8e550b25c11e2962d22000a1f9aa0_7.jpg

yeah I know lame shot but I don't want to play on my phone while it's actually cutting.

I'd love to, but the shop is too busy for us to be fucking around with our own stuff. Sucks because there's plenty of shit I could make easily on these. Redrilling hubs would be kid shit, could totally bore a block or CNC combustion chambers on one. The machines are massive so I could chuck almost anything that goes on a car in one.

Even if I can't run my own shit on these machines, understanding the manufacturing process means I can design my own parts and have the work done elsewhere. Thinking about making my own uprights or spindles or something, I've got plenty of ideas.

Swim, nothing personal, but you really don't have a clue.........

I like your can-do attitude, but you have a very long way to go from operator, to designing & making custom parts.

Or did I miss something along the way, like you have years of being a machinest on your resume ?

Even then, I've seen people who own cnc shops, try to tackling something like cnc porting Supra heads, only to give up due to the comlexity of such a project.

Have you had any schooling in the field ?

If not, consider some night courses.

Yeah, I have had vocational training. I have CAD experience and I can draw a lot of the stuff I want to make, but I didn't have a lot of the kind of familiarity you need with different kinds of tooling to figure out how to design parts that can actually be made on a three-axis mill. I'm not saying I'm going to cnc port a head tomorrow, I'm saying it's easy to see how you could use one of these machines to, say, open up the chambers on a set of heads for a larger bore piston with a ball end mill.

Not too bad then. At least you have some background.

all I was saying was these machines can do some rad shit

if I draw / machine anything clever it's either going to be intake flanges for the 3800, new front spindles, rear roll center correction uprights, rotor hats and caliper mounts, or something like that.

Port flanges can be done on a drill press, and there are millions of hats out there already, so that would be counterproductive for just a few parts.

Yes, you finally came out of the GM 3800 series closet to JZXP.

Nice.

Bunch of my faggot W-body friends have huge boners after hearing about this.

Continue.

hacked up an 05+ upper intake manifold and couldn't get it to fit past the factory alt, lol. gotta grab another one from a local kid who also has a spare oil pan I can start cutting and welding on. the good news is that FWD manifold does fit flipped to face forward so long as I delete some bullshit

ordered a camaro alt for $35, and I guess I'm going to get a camaro tensioner bracket to go with it. NBD I guess, the motor needed new tensioners anyway. hope it fits with the bonneville power steering pump, but I guess we'll see.

We got one of these at work the other day.

faro_arm%20big.jpg

Should be able to easily probe up a head. Just need the draughtsman to work out the software. New guy started in the design room the other day, previously worked in the aero dept at williams F1 and has an aero development business with a crazy number crunching 12 core pc at home. All this stuff could come in handy for a bonkers 1j head. I can dream at least.

Is that the new 12 position Trojan dildo ?

Looks like a cross between a dial indicator and an alien abduction anal probe.

I'd come out of the closet for you and amanda <3333333

What, no rainbow sticker on the back bumper ?

hey now swim and i can be gay brothers! you need to get with Zoku about Life Is Bitch vinyl and sign up on clubroadster.net so we can double-team swagtards.

pic of said vinyl?

also signed up for CR.net and miataturbo or turbomiata or whatever it is

but I'm totally going to be a swagfag myself :|