Sign in to follow this  
The Chubby Chaser

Spool Differential In A Drift Spec Chassis

This isn't really a question, I just felt like opening up a dialog about this. They make spools for Toyota 8" 30 spline diffs, but I have no idea what the spline count is for X90s or X100s.

A lot of Formula D cars run spools in their quick change diffs. It would be more cost effective for pro-am/rookie drivers to run a spool in their stock 8" diff. Spools are cheaper than a 2-way from Japan, and should be lighter than welding the worm gears in the Torsen.

I asked Mike Kojima via MotoIQ about running a spool and he did not recommend it for beginners because of the increased understeer on initiation. However, from what I've read, Dai Yoshihara is running one. Hmmm.... Maybe it's only good if you have suspension that can tune out the understeer?

Let's discuss.

Guest swim

exactly the same as a welded diff, but less janky, not liable to break, and lighter.

Guest DuaxMachine

And I don't put 5 cents in value in what Mike Kojima says........

That guy is the typical 'I can hold a job writing about shit, even though I don't know shit' type of person that ran Sport Compact Car into the ground.

I have a buddy who races SCCA (stupidest car club of America), who has finally stopped sending me links to Mikey's ramblings on Motor-IQ because how I always go in and point out all the stupid shit he writes.

Like his High $$ 4AG build, that he did so much wrong with this 'ultimate 4AG' that he only made 190 hp.

The splines on the X8, X9, and X100 are identical.

But the truck spools do not have a shaft snap ring retention grove, so you will need someone to cut them.

No big deal.

And the whole reason for having tunable suspension, it to actually be able to tune it.....

Don't be stuck in the forum sheep mode, and think that any one spring rate is ideal.

Buy a few different spring sets to be able to change the handling of the car for different track conditions.

gordon, i agree 100%

Mike Kojima is pretty legit. I live near him and have been to his place a couple times.

I do disagree with him in some points, but his shit seems to work for him and his teams and they put down and win.

i don't doubt the guy knows how to set up a car. its pretty proven. however, the stuff he publishes is ridiculous.

Guest Piner

Yeah sat and talked with him for about 30-45min on chassis setup after the end of FD atlanta last year and the guy obviously knows his shit when it comes to suspension setup. Gave me some interesting ideas to try when it comes to geometry on an E36.

i've always been interested in running wone of those lockers out of a pickup truck. not to mention that if their gear sets swap into our 8 inch diffs, that would make an na car livable.

I'm planning on building a 8" Toyota truck rear and using one of these and have herd that they work in G code axles like the Cressida and Supra . One like this sells for a 100 bucks on eBay .

9701004_L_1528e07d.jpg

Its just a thought, man. As the powerlocker is inside the diff, replaces the settalites. Doesn't replace the housing of the diff. And spool replaces.

Being only 120usd you could check that out. Could fucking work fucking awesome!)))

The lockright sucks. Had one in the front of the mini truck I had and it would give and unlock. Ended up going Detroit out front to match the rear to cure that bullshit.

fuck welded, and fuck spools. 2 way is where its at. 1.5 way is decent too. fuck that understeer, understeer, understeer, OVERSTEER!!!!!!!! bullshit. fuck that. MKIII clutch type, and weir performance stage 2. 75$, pure excellence.

Spool should be good, you won't damage your final gear like with welded, when weld shits gets in between.

I've driven a bunch of welded cars. And seriously, sometimes I can't say for sure when drifting.

Usually welded/spool would led you to a more responsive rear end. Instant lock everytime.

Instant lock but harder to control in mid drift! Fuck welded. Save your pennys annd get a 2 way if your serious about drifting.

Do people really have that hard of a time drifting with a welded diff? I had a baller 2 way tomei traxx diff and went back to a welded with no hesitation. On throttle transitions are so much more fun with a welded vs a two way. Initiations require a bit more aggression but who cares... Go faster.

Just go welded. Anybody complaining about understeer with a spool or a welded in a drift car needs to learn to commit to their entries.

Use that 900 bucks youd spend on a 2 way on event entry fees, and weld that shit UP!

i cant fucking say it enough. mkIII clutch type, and a wier performance maxlock stage 2. shit works baller.

Just go welded. Anybody complaining about understeer with a spool or a welded in a drift car needs to learn to commit to their entries.

Yes.

I guess its prefrance. I have a cusco mz 2 way and love it. quiet and quick to lock. A friend has a welded and to me it handled waaay diffrent. Didn't care for it. But I guess that could be his alignment. Think way to much camber with super streched tires.