Sign in to follow this  
Guest DuaxMachine

How-To use MkIII Supra rear lower control arm bushings in X8

Guest DuaxMachine

As some of you know, the 20+ year old spherical bushings on the rear lower control arms can not be purchased from Toyota.

But the ass holes sell the MkIII Supra ones, unfortunately they are 2mm smaller.

(36mm vs. 38mm)

Here is an X8 fix for cheap. (if your lucky)

Buy the Supra bushings, p/n 42210-14010, about $35 a pop.

Then pick up some 1.5" x .038", or there about, wall steel tube.

This is where it gets tricky, not all steel tube, even from the same suppier has the same wall thickness.

The stuff I bought was listed at .035" wall, which should have been way too loose, but actually measures at .037".

.038" would have been better, thicker I could have delt with.

Cut 2 pieces with a tubing cutter at about 1-1/8" long.

This is 1/8" longer than the bore in the upright.

I did this so that I could pein over both ends for more positive retention.

Completely debur the ID at one end so that the Supra bushing will slide in,

and the OD of the other end so that it will start to slide into the bore on the upright.

Use a large bolt, nut, and washers to pull the sleeve into the bore.

It will only go in until the other end is flush with the oposit side.

I then used a flat piece of steel, and a large hammer to push it the last 1/16".

Then use a ball pein hammer to roll the exposed edges over.

Then the Supra bushing is ready to go in.

Coat the bore and the OD of the bushing with LocTite, and tap the bushing home.

If you end up with thicker wall tube, like actualy .040", things will be harder to slide together,

you will just have to deal with it.

Tubing will squeeze down when it's pressed into a bore, so if you have thicker wall tube, you may have to go after the bore with a brake hone.

Ideally, you should have about .001" press fit.

If you get thinner wall tube, you may have to find something else.

An option would be to drill & tap the upright housing for a set screw.

Another, if your good at that type of thing, would be to 'tin' the ID of the steel tube with solder, that will reduce the bore by a few thousands of an inch.

Removing the old bush with a gear puller, and a plug a bit smaller than 1.5" (so it doesn't get stuck in the bore):

DSC04681.jpg

DSC04680.jpg

The pieces:

DSC04689.jpg

Pulling the sleeve into the bore of the upright:

DSC04695.jpg

DSC04697.jpg

Starting the Supra bushing into the now smaller bore:

DSC04698.jpg

Bushing home, ready to rock & roll:

DSC04696.jpg

i have these sitting in my tool bag and my lazy ass is too lazy to do this. i want an easy button

but at least pics and directions are a bit more encouraging to get this done

almost just want to get another subframe so i can press the bushings in and install new arms at my leisure... and throw it all in in one go

how much could an x8 subframe be worth? betting not more than $40 at a pick n pull.

Guest DuaxMachine

That is why I save the one out of the car I just scrapped.

Going to build the whole thing, weld in the strengthing plate, a bunch of other gussets (cheap at the people who sell oval track parts, like Speedway Motors, or SouthWest Speed), weld all the seams that Toyota didn't.

Then start bolting in my arms, etc..

When I get the car back from my buddy, the cage builder (if he gets it fucking done before I pass on), I can just stick it in.

Been looking at what it will take to put the whole Supra diff housing in, including the finned rear cover.

Playing with some ideas, but nothing seriously drawn up yet.

Bringing this back from the dead since I thought it was the most relevant topic for mx83 lower control arm bushings. I was installing some coilovers on my buddies FR-s and noticed they have a very similar looking bushing. Its been used in quite a bit of subaru's too. I'll have to order one and see how it measures up but here's the part number and a pic in case anyone else wants to try it out before me. 

Toyota: SU003-00370  Subaru: 20257XA000

20257XA000 bush.jpg

hey dumbass, I have those on my car...

Gordo sells the sleeves to fit those, talk to him.. there's a write up somewhere here already

@demesio I think you're referring to the 42210-14010 supra bushings, If you even bothered to read my post you'd notice I'm referencing a different part number as I think it might fit our uprights without an adapter sleeve.  

Why not just go to a well stocked dealer, and measure one?

Would be a great find if it has the correct OD, ID, and width.

There will be no more sleeves from me, as I am out of that metric tubing, and not risking buying another length due to the wide manufacturing tolerances that tube producers have.

After some photoshop scaling it looks like the OD of the bushing is almost 40mm so it wont fit without machining the bore of the upright anyhow... looked close enough to fool me. 

Photoshopping isn't a pair of calipers, or even tape measure...

Does a decent job when you scale and have reference measurements if you're just looking for general size.

Red lines are all 36mm referenced off of 42210-14010 O.D. and ruler in picture, green line is O.D. of compared part (Toyota: SU003-00370  Subaru: 20257XA000) which comes to almost 40mm which is a bit bigger than the 38mm it needs to be so it give me a good idea that it's not worth making the trip to the dealer or spend the money to buy the part and measure.

bushing compare scale.jpg

It works when you have a ruler in the photo of both, like you have.

Good job !

i'm surprised there is nothing that fits from another make/model. i know when i got the superpro  bushes made for X8 Arm's majority matched the LS400's. 

433464d1501361567-diy-rear-axle-carrier-

I got tired of hunting a replacement down. Those sealed 38mm are real odd-balls.
Think I still have damn spherical bushings laying around here from things like Volvos, and Mustangs. 

There's 42210-20010 which fits the is300...

42210-20010 dia.jpg

42210-20010 bore.jpg

42210-20010 width.jpg

Side note.. If you have a later MX83, you may not even need the sleeves. On my 1991, the Supra bushings pressed right into the knuckle. No sleeve needed. Not sure what the year break would be.

Heard of that, never seen one.

Heard of aliens, zombies, and werewolves, never seen any of those either.
But now it's been confirmed. (the size variations, not the aliens)

I know there is a subframe change break in the australian car's and a difference between series 1 and 2, but it is minor and only the front bushes are a little thinner. 

Decided to go google hunting and figured I would check if the LS400 bush might be similar and it looks like it...

Seems like the Russians figured this out for us https://forums.drom.ru/toyota-mark-ii-chaser-cresta/t1151579528-p2.html#post1103205325
Can't seem to find a valid toyota part number but since you all like chinamade parts Febest TAB-168Z or Masuma RU-365. Dimensions listed have a bit of discrepancy but overall are the right Diameter and close to the same width, ID is smaller bore. Febest site seems to indicate that it also fits a mercedes so possibly an oem part available there.

ls400 bushing.jpg

ls400 bushing 2.jpg

ls400 bushing 3.JPG

Going smaller on the bolt diameter is not a good idea.......

Yeah Gordo, I was thinking the ID might be able to be reamed out to size otherwise running a smaller diameter bolt would mean the arm that attaches to it with its 14mm hole could introduce slop on the bigger hole of the arm. Its apparently the bushing used in the JZX90 and JZX100 in the same palce so I wouldn't worry too much about the bolt diameter not being strong enough. JZX90/100 arms might be interchangeable here but then you're running into buying more parts unless you're already going aftermarket adjustable pieces anyhow.