Kyle

EFI - Emanage Ultimate Thread

Yea its still not really perfect yet so definitely time consuming but to plug in the initial numbers from datalogs was pretty easy, I've been running around with my bov to atmospere for at least a couple weeks but ive been fine tuning the voltage outputs for better mileage and driveability.

Basically I took a few datalogs and saved them. You can open them up after and chose parameters rpm - airflow voltage - pressure sensor - afr then save the file as a text file... open text fie and go to the edit - find and just plug in the rpm you want and toggle through all the recorded values(use hotkey for finding) - or scroll through whatever is prefered and plug in the voltage on the airflow output map - this is probably the more time consuming part I did it over the span of a week and slowly filled out the airflow output a little bit each evening.

After getting it running on the output map I opened up my bov, I had the adjustment fully tighted to keep it closed until I got it running on map. The factory ecu was none the wiser. After that it was pretty much datalog and adjust output volts here and there and going into industrial zones in the middle of the night on weekends and driving around and adjusting, maybe sometimes playing with launch control and doing burnouts or launches.

I still have to get someone to record my loud launch control, pretty sure there are flames because sounds like gun shots and crazy shit.

Gotta get a night vid with launch so you can see fire but this is the greddy launch control

Night vid of launch control..... FIRE!

Also here is the revised airflow output map after a little more tweaking - mostly low rpm lugging area(high load). I did change some output in the boost region but mostly because I couldn't stand it being that rich that it was lacking power on low rpm boost or tip in boost. Its rich for the most part but I'm just gonna set it at like 4.5 volts for higher rpm boost and just tweak the timing and injector duty by those maps. I'm gonna be putting in bigger injectors anyways but I wanted the low rpm regions to act like stock since the airflow voltage is the load signal for the toyota ecu it uses it for entering lean burn mode and for timing.

picofoutputmap_zps3a037b24.jpg

Been getting 25mpg consistently with this map.

I'm gonna continue tweaking my output map but I'm putting on my other turbo so it might alter some of my outputs in comparison to using the stock turbo.

Also found out gm open element iats have basically the same resistance as the toyota iats... so gonna put one in my charge cold side or intake pipe.... undecided which one but probably the cold side.

I always thought that I'd put it in the intake pipe because I was worried the stock ecu would enter some kind of enrichment state when it saw temps that exceed average ambient temps. I didn't wanna have to fight something like that.

Also, weird off subject question: Does your ecu throw the cel for sub tps and fuel pump circuit? My original one (manual ecu) would throw the codes if you checked for codes, but never displayed a cel for them although it will for real issues. A couple others I've seen, 1 for sure soarer and another chaser, both auto ecus, throw the cel as soon as you start driving

Yea I was thinking the same thing about that for having it in the intake pipe. Maybe I'll get a 2nd sensor for the emanage and put it in the charge pipe so I can monitor actual iats.

Also not that I know of... but I havent checked for codes because no cel... I actually wasn't sure if my cel was even working until I got my launch control working, it throws a cel for the misfiring from launch control and then goes away right after. What do you mean by sub tps? the ects tps sensor? I dont have any of my ects stuff hooked up(pulled the wiring out since my harness was chopped) and it doesnt seem to care. I am using the ecus output to control the fuel pump relay though. If I remember and get a chance Ill try to check but if it would throw any faults id bet something for the ects... but I might not even have all the wires hooked up to the diag box but I can always jump it at the ecu I guess. Mines a auto ecu.

Yeah yours is working if it lights up for the misfire. Yeah sub tps. That's code 47, and I get code 78 for the fpc. I believe the signal out of the ecu is pwm? On my series 1 manual ecu if I check codes even though the cel isn't on I get 42/47/78. The other two trip the light for the same codes as soon as I start driving. Was wondering if maybe the first run Toyota didn't care enough to trip a light for them or maybe my ecu is getting funny. And yeah just ground te1 coming out of the ecu and check. Since you have sp1 hooked up you won't get code 42 but bet 47 and 78 pop up.

Yea that's when I found out the cel actually works lol. I'll try and remember to check on the weekend for codes since im gonna be working on it anyway.

So how do you feel about the system so far?

The emanage? Good so far it's doing everything I want and I don't see any problems with its capabilities.

If you mean the turbo stuff, haven't put it on yet, got the piping and stuff I need sitting at the border so I'm picking if up this weekend and putting the turbo stuff on.

Gonna have to do injectors soon too.

Was talking about emanage. And yeah with just that turbo and stock everything else I did 342@5400rpm@1 bar when it hit fuel cut. As long as afr checks out 14psi should be okay on stock injectors, car is gonna rip

The thing that made me really interested in it was the possibility of running map w/ stock ecu functions. For 400ish with the map sensor I can't really complain, half the price of mega squirt, or pfc. The only thing I've changed is the airflow output map because I think it will pretty much have to be perfect for normal driving and I'm actually considering renting dyno time to refine it because its gonna be the foundation of how it runs and how easy it is to tune with bigger injectors.

It's a little rough on cold start drives but once it's at operating its smooth, I know I can use coolant temp correction but want to focus on getting the airflow output perfect before throwing in more variables, and hopefully that will help others too. Tough to hit all load situations on the road and adjusting, I do use data logs but drive ability shit.

I'm pretty pumped to put the turbo stuff on gonna surprise this out of some people.

Hi gents

I'm having some issues with the EMU I just installed. Version D board.

I followed all of the normal jumper settings, wired it to run sequential injection, and set it up as I thought made sense.

I can get the injectors to fire, but can't see an RPM value in the data logger and have no spark. I checked the wiring a few hundred times, checked continuity at the CAS, etc.

Eventually I gave up, and tried something weird. I removed the ignition harness plug going into the EMU, and jumped all of the inputs to their respective outputs (effectively bypassing the ignition side of the EMU). I was annoyed at this point so I figured fuck it.

Now the car catches and fires, and does see RPM in the datalogger.

My question is: Do you think I'm missing something obvious? Or is it possible that the EMU I have is dead?

Thanks in advance for reading all that.

1jz right? It's setup as 1jz in a he setup file? Could be something in the emu, mine just stopped fucking working one day

Yea, it's a 1J non VVTI. I set it as a 1J-GTE in the setup menu... can get the injectors to fire but not the ignition. I've heard the ignition chip can get loose on the board, I'll check that tonight. It seems like a bunch of people on various forums report this issue, but nobody ever posts a resolution. Odd.

Yeah. I honestly have a feeling that my issue was due to loose solder. Had a t3 manifold fly off the seat and hit the harness and kill the car. Jiggling made it fire again, had intermittent dying issues, then it just gave out about a month later. Had thought about trying to resolder shit, but stopped caring. What's your setup? If you aren't trying to make a shit ton of power you may be able to get it done without altering timing

The weird thing is I can get it to fire with the ignition bypassed, but not actually run. It just sputters a bunch and then dies. I've got the car on factory twins and factory injectors right now- my plan was to get it running with a completely stock setting, and then change injectors, turbo, etc.

I've got a Borg Warner S360, Siemens 850CC injectors, and 2J cams to install. Turbo's too big for a stock 1J, but I'm hoping it won't suck too much.

Someone has suggested that the ignition chip in the Emanage board can come loose. I'm going to check that it's properly installed today and give it another go.

Kyle, did you run your 1J on sequential? If so, how did you set up the batch input channels, and their respective output channels?

Nah I left it in batch for injection. worked fine. You know that ge intake cam won't work right? And the exhaust won't either with that distributor gear on it.

How did you wire it for sequential injection? Why? It's kinda pointless to do

Excuse me... I have no idea why I typed NA 2J. The cams are from my friend's GTE 2J, not an NA 2J.

I kind of regret not running it batch now because it's just one more variable to deal with. Sequential is set up with the 3 input channels feeding the emanage, and 6 individual output channels going out to the injectors. I've got notes at home on which channel runs which cylinder.

So you physically ran 6 wires to the injectors? Yeah dude, that shit is kinda pointless. Id change it and give that a go maybe

I couldn't get spark no matter what I tried, and nobody can identify the error code I'm getting (including Greddy USA), so I wired it back to stock for this season.

Will probably ship the Emanage off to Greddy for diagnostics- wiring was perfect and checked out, coils and ignitor had power where they needed it, and the Emanage was not outputting signal to the coils when you'd crank the car, so that makes me think it's misbehaving.

is it one of the earlier serial numbers? I remember having to wire in some extra thing with those

Nah his is the right rev

Thanks for reading! It's running on the factory computer again- good enough for me for this year. I'll update this thread if I resolve it, for posterity.

Interesting. I don't know anyone that actually likes their E manage.