Kyle

EFI - Emanage Ultimate Thread

Your car would prob hardly run at idle in stock form if your board was the older revision. I loaded my daily map onto the older board and it pegged 10.0 at idle no matter what. Didn't bother to take it further. It sputtered and blew black smoke horribly. It wouldn't hurt to check though.

One thing you need to look at for the auto tune is to make sure that temp is set to Celsius, and also in the settings for auto tune to work you can set a delay where it only works in a certain temp range and also time iirc. Does your logs show that your wideband is in fact working with your emu?

I have a version D Board. I just got back tonight from doing a little tuning. I didn't bother with the autotune tonight. I have temp set to F degrees. I need to do little more calibration with the wb to get it read more accurately with emu. I had to cut the fuel down to -20 at wot. I am running at 1 bar of boost now. I have boost surgeing problem at wot. What can cause that?

Try setting temp to Celsius and give Autotune a go. Boost surging? I don't understand

I mean when i am at wot. The boost does hold rock solid at 1 bar. It goes up and down between .85 to 1 bar. It cycles pretty fast. My afr does the same thing. I think my tune is really shity maybe causing this. More like boost is fluctuating at wot.

Some other concerns i have about my setup. I figure if i am running 1 bar of boost on a stock jdm 2jz ecu and stock 440 injectors and aftermarket twins. I would needing to add fuel at WOT not taking it away?? Everything i have been reading about with people with 1jz with and 2jz with stock twins are usually adding fuel especially when they are running 1.2 bar. 1jz guys like using 440 injector upgrade and 2jz guys like using 550 injector upgrade on stock twins. I basically have two gt28r turbos and I need take away fuel at WOT??. I also having hard time getting the boost over 1 bar. I am going try gapping plugs down some more today. I think I might actually have turbo that is not working property or not working at all. I am going to check today if i have time to see if they are both spinning smoothly. My front turbo is actually leaking oil between exhaust housing and center cartiage.

Sounds like that 1 turbo is fucked. And as far as the 440s and 2j ecu, think of it this way: both ecus are gonna send the same signal for injector, it's just that the injector is physically bigger on the 440s which is to accommodate the larger displacement. So yes most likely pulling fuel is a must.

I ran a 2j ecu on a stock 1j and it ran great because it had stock 380cc 1j injectors. Now that I have a single and 440s, I still have to pull fuel up to 1bar.

Basically the injectors aren't matche to the ecu they're matched to displacement on the jdm ecu's

So yeah, been playing around with the sc this morning. Holset he341(basically an hy35 w/4" outlet) and 440s. Running about 11.5psi and have -11 entered up to 7500rpms and still around 10.7afr.

I'm shooting for 11.0 at wot

I do not advise following my lead as I have no clue what I'm doing. If you do what I do and blow your shit up, it's because you're an idiot for doing what another idiot did or is doing.

So I've had the emanage back in the x8 for a bit now. Using the global correction for the ID1000s. Emu only let's you enter a value of 999cc. No problem. I set the dead time at 1.2ms. Car drives like a dream. I've tweaked the vac map a bit, but not anything major and last night got 27mpg on stock wheels with 195/65/15s and an r154, stock 3.90s on the freeway doing about 70.

Also, using both I/J maps works. I scaled my I/J1 map to read a bit of vac and then up to 11psi, and I/J2 map to read 12-27psi. Also using both ignition adj maps. The trick to this is going in the navigation section (blue car with hood up icon), enabling all of these maps (or the ones you are wanting), then selecting apply. You'll see the map selections pop up in the left hand column. From there, you'll select the "front panel" tab. There will be a section for the dip switches. You'll then need to assign them to the second map. For example, I dedicated dip switch 1 to I/J2, and dip switch 2 to ignition adj2. You then need to manually switch the dip switches to the on position. This allows a more tunable range.

Also, Autotune seems to work fine. I have my temp set to Celsius. You must be reading water temp for this to work. Also, your target a/f map needs to have the same scale as your map it is affecting. Once you have that done, set the parameters in the a/f target tab to your liking (throttle percentage enabling, temp range) and go.

I used a 11psi gate and scaled my desired a/f for up to 11psi. Went ahead and found a stretch of road with a slight upwards slope (dyno recommended, do not street tune!) and pinned it to redline. Using the datalog feature with this is ideal because you can go through and use the map trace function with the log and your I/J map open and figure out where there needs to be a change. Autotune gets you in the ball park. It's not perfect, but a great start.

I then completely changed my a/f target map to match my I/J2 map, went to the a/f target tab and changed it so it affected my I/J2 map, went back, and did the same stretch after tossing in a gate with a 20psi spring. Low and behold, I've got myself some corrections in map 2.

I don't suggest going over 15psi with the emanage without altering timing as my logs indicate that's about the point where it stops pulling timing under boost. I don't fully understand how a good timing map works, but do know that too much and you're up shit's creek. So if you don't know what you're doing here research for a while first or have someone that knows what's up help you

So I've run into a snag.

Where I'm at now, I'm using the global injector correction to configure my ID1000s. It's worked great until I started upping the boost. At this point I'm having to add 100% duty cycle above 4500rpms at about 15-16psi to keep an 11.5 afr. That's the limit of what I can add, so that leaves me out of fuel which is obviously bullshit. Basically, the emanage configured the injectors through the correction function and allows you to use the emanage as if the injectors were stock. But this isn't working for me as I have a thirst for more boost.

Solution? I'm going to reconfigure the global correction for 500cc injectors. The plan is to go in and enter a value of 500cc in place of 999cc, then I'll keep the dead time at 1.2ms since that's what ID says it's at at 14v, which is about where the car is putting out when running. It's worked great so far so I'm running with it. The theory is that the emanage will just run the car twice as rich, so basically I'll have to start all over again and retune vac and boost, which will ultimately allow me a greater fuel ceiling on the top end. Using a bit of math and altering my current map should get me in the ball park, and some driving should get me back. I will hopefully have all this confirmed soon. I've given back my buddy's netbook I had captive for the last two weeks, and am currently trying to do a clean install on my notebook to keep the ball rolling.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel that my needs may be outgrowing the emu, but that could be because I don't fully understand yet how to manipulate it to extract it's full capabilities. I'll keep trying, but I really want a v2 or ms3.

Finally got emu running on my notebook. Win7 64 bit. Here's what I did:

Get vmware, then load a 32bit version of win7 or xp on it.

In USB compatibility during setup, choose 1.1

Plug in the emanage with the key on

Go to device manager in the computer control panel

Click emuusb that will have a yellow flag

Tell the wizard you'd like to direct it to the driver

Go to location C, trust folder, emanage, driver.

Finish, and then go blow up your shit.

Oh, and my running out of fuel seemed to be my fuel system. Or rather the fuel system being stock, couldn't handle the e85. Filter specifically. And lines up top. It's all good now, before I took out the EMU I had to start from scratch with a new tune because the stock stuff was so fucked.

I'm starting to play with emanage ult now. Having some fun with the USB driver on my 32 bit xp toughbook, I installed the driver but it still doesn't recognize it - still has the ? Mark in device mgr. I want to uninstall it but it won't do it automatically so I have to manually remove it enough do that I can try and reinstall.

If anyone has any insight on removing that shit it would help, I've done it before I'm not a computer expert. Or if anyone had a similar xp with a fix.

Hey guys just incase anyone has issues with the driver not installing correctly and device installer crashing on install. I had to install the driver in safe mode.

Before installing in safe mode I spent hours messing with the registry(had to manually remove) and reinstalling, and googling for similar problems.

It's a cf19 Panasonic toughbook(probably the cause of my problems).

KIckass. So What you think of it so far? If you're still all stock you might wanna take this time to do a shit load of logging. I was too lazy/not smart enough to convert from maf to map with it. But I believe if you have a handle on excel you could do this fairly easily. Also, iirc theres a way to save logs and view them in decimal form. I remember something about that.

Yea I just fired it up minutes ago after messing with it some(wrong jumper for ign, whoops) runs like stock at the moment. I'm gonna take a bunch of data logs and stuff so I have something to reference/start from. I guess I'll have to learn to use excel if that's what the logs are in. I'm waiting for my labtop to charge then I'm gonna start tonight while I run around getting stuff for my new apartment.

As for converting to map. Not sure how I will do it but I guess the best way would be taking the iat out of the maf and putting it in my charge pipe after the i/c or in the turbo inlet pipe, or just relocating the maf and using it for air temp. I'm gonna start datalogging and building a airflow output map so I can put on this bigger turbo that's been collecting dust and run it on map.

Also I hooked up my vehicle speed output from the inst clust that used to go to the trans computer up to the emanage, so if that works I can set up my launch control and shoot flames and shit. If not ill try the r154 abs sensor for a speed signal.

I will share my airflow output map when I'm done if it runs ok on it. I'll post updates when I get something done with the emanage, and maybe update my build thread someday.

Yeah I was thinking if ever built the airflow output map that I would put the Maf in charge piping blow through style. The only thing I worried about though was that the ecu would see the high temps from boost soaked air and go into some sort of fault management mode. I know when using the maf for THA on a jdm map based ecu that it thinks that the car is still in warm up enrichment. In the logs for the map based car I'd get a iat temp of like 266 or some shit every time once the car warmed up. On the vvti car it was relatively close to ambient temp every time. Figured something would get skewed.

I think it was mxmissile on here or someone from Grip in FL said they used like a 90 corolla iat, put it in a grommets in the 4" intake pipe, called it a day. There's one sittin in my console I never got to try

Alright so I ran a couple data logs shortly after getting it going and tried to do every driving condition I could thing of, I ended up getting enough in 1 log to fill out most of the airflow output map. A little while back my car started running pretty rich - like 12.5 in cruising and stuff like that and my MAF is definitely reading way higher voltage than it should be so I'll probably take it apart and use the iat out of it when I put on the bigger turbo.

Back on topic - So I filled out the air flow output map through out the week, it is a little time consuming. As soon as I switched it over to the airflow output map it fired right up and ran like before. So I drove around a bit and adjusted some of the voltage outputs to bring it back to normal cruise afr and what not because where I live now I have to use the highway and I burnt 50 dollars of gas in 4 days. So now cruising at 130 on the highway im at 18:1 instead of 11:1. I also opened up my bov and set up the launch control(shooting flames and making air sounds is important ok) so speed from x7 digital dash is read fine by emanage and the 1jz runs like stock still but now on map.

I'll post up my airflow output map for future reference for anyone else who goes down this road after I refine it over the weekend.

Awesome!!! Do it! Vids shooting flames!!! Just use the corolla IAT in a grommet in the 4" intake pipe. Got mine free at the junkyard with a pigtail since they tried to Jew me on an sc door haha.

Ill try that. I'll make some vids sometime too, I want to make it a little more aggressive but I think I'm kinda of limited since it only pulls 20 deg.

Took a little longer but I'm pretty picky. So basically Its adjusted for drive ability and gas mileage so far since that's basically the most important thing for me because I daily my pos cressida. My gas mileage went from 17mpgish to 25 and it only has a couple spots that need work but I don't have any bogging or anything like that and my cruise afrs range from 17:1-20:1 and I'm comfortable with that(allows cruise with wider throttle opening for less pumping losses) and its toyotas lean burn mode anyway. I'm using a innovate lc1 that's hooked up to the emanage and also to the jzx100 ecu sending a narrow band signal. I only have 5 rows for boost because I plan on using the injector maps to actually adjust it since there is 2 injector tables - 1 for boost - 1 for no boost and I wanted to work with the factory ecu to keep good drive ability that being said the bins are just taken from my initial data logs so its a little rich imo.

airflowoutput_zps5f8e2b32.jpg

Yea its in kpa - deal with it

Also just because it works on mine doesn't mean it will work for someone else although it should this is mostly for reference so use at your own discretion.

<3!!!! this is awesome shit! Makes me wanna keep a vvti for gf since she has the emu now. Now you can run an open atmosphere bov!

Kyle, you get this all down pat, so you can help me with my car.

Why, you gonna run an emanage? What he did takes a fucking shitload of time. Andrew is a fucking badass.