zokustyle

zokustyle X8 "NOBODY SAID IT WAS EASY" new pics pg21

i actually really liked the way it looked with the aero and the dirty dlux stickers on it.. i found it on google images before i even bought my car and then started looking into how to make it happen, now i have an X8 with a 1jz vvti

so the car runs. no drive yet, gotta do an alignment, smooth everything out, and exhaust. I was thinking twin tail pipes, I want whistle tips.

fitted my Advan AVS Freedoms. 19x10+28

f125f42c3eea11e3817122000ab5bea8_8.jpg

donk wrap would be between oreo, mcdonald's, and louis vuitton.

and BW, that's where the "freedom" part comes in. ;)

*spoiler: they are mustang wheels.

For anyone that knows better than I do:

My engine doesn't like to come off idle or drop back to idle properly. If I ease it off idle, it's fine. But a quick blip of the throttle causes a hesitation and then a rev. And when it's revved quickly and goes down, it dips too low and often dies, like it can't bring itself back to idle quick enough.

Is my IACV wide open or something? No CEL.

Only thing I can think of is that since I don't have the gauge cluster plugged into the speedo cable in dash, without SPD it doesn't know what it's doing.

Have you checked the idle pos. sensor ?

SPd signal is irrelevant. I've had my iacv unplugged for a year due to this. My stock bov also did similar things when I put the stock turbo on. So if iacv unplugged doesn't help, chuck the stock bov

Unplugged IAC and it revved to 2500 then leveled out to a 2300 idle. Plugged and unplugged while running, saw no change. Turned off, plugged back in, idled normal at like 900.

Does that mean it's working or does that mean it just doesn't like being unplugged? Now that I think about it, I didn't pull EFI fuse along with it.

Also chucked the stock BOV from the get-go. Running an ebay SSQV recirc'd in place of the stock valve.

Is the bov recirculated?

Oops. Didn't go that far. Fuck with your iacv. It shoulda went to home position at key off, and it obviously didn't so maybe it is sticking.

Something in my brain knows about the iacv returning home at key off, but i cant recall it right now. Did you unplug the iacv with the key on and engine cold? Also i have another iacv if you need one.

First try was key off, engine cold. I'll mess with it more tomorrow. If this one ends up being sticky I'll probably just unplug it in home pozish.

But stand by with that IAC, Austin, if I decide to give a shit about a functioning IAC.

Went over IC couplers and vacuum lines to rule out minor air leaks. Couple IC clamps weren't totally snug but didn't notice a difference so we're good on that front. I've noticed it's really sensitive to air leaks. Even popping the oil cap brings the idle down... I get that it's MAF and that's unmetered air via the PCV but is that normal stuff?

yes.

I used to have a WRX, another MAF-fueled turbo car, and the factory EMS was so fucking picky it wasn't funny. Cool thing about subarus was there's open source software to tune the factory ECU so anyone could datalog so there was a ton of info out there. Pretty quickly, people realised anything other than the factory airbox would fuck up your MAF readings and therefore fueling pretty noticeably.

Not just changing the diameter of the MAF pipe, but shit like changing bends six inches after it or replacing the airbox before it with a cone filter. The factory intake has this big box coming off of it, everyone figured it's basically just a silencer to get rid of the intake noise because that's the more noticeable thing that it does, but the reason it's actually there is to damp heimholtz resonance at lower engine speeds. At certain speeds, I think like 1800 or 2200 or something, the intake tract hits the brown note or whatever and the air vibrates back and forth in the inlet, causing the MAF to think there's more airflow than there actually is in reality. This means you'd spike rich in cruise suddenly for no discernible reason.

The BPV is a big deal too, even with it recirced, when the throttle snaps shut and all that air dumps back right near the MAF, it'll rich up from the air rushing past it. And lopey cams will lope even harder on a MAF car for the same reason. Oh, and if you hit the intercooler or pop a coupler, haha fuck you, the car won't even idle.

So yeah, MAF cars are picky as fuck.

Dump the MAF, and run a MAP-ECU piggy-back ?

The MAP-ECU1 is only around $300, and the MAP-ECU3, which you can also control timing is $600-ish.

Combination of dicking with things seems to have sorted it out. Got tight caps on all unused vacuum ports, messed with IAC and pulled EFI fuse for a couple minutes. Unplugging the IAC when it was warm warranted a 3000RPM idle, headache-inducing noise with an open elbow.

Trying to move a car with a twin plate that didn't want to idle sucked.

Next up is exhaust and alignment, I'm getting impatient to drive this thing!

Also, am I the only one that feels synthetics in a JZ is a waste of money? I bought this super well rated castrol 5w50 that's also fucking $8 a quart. It smokes out of the turbo. kind of expected it from a 5w but not as much as it does.

Next oil change I'm going back to rotella 15w40. H3LL YA $25 01L CH4NGE

Most of our engines were probably run on soy-sauce special grade big happee fun oilchange garage blend all their life before we ever got them off the ship anyway.

Same with the drive joy haha. I've been running 10-30 castrol synthetic. It's like $28 for the 5qt deal at Walmart. Don't actually expect your stock turbo to last.

Mine is already smoking. Not suprized. I have a similar hesitation off idle but can't get rid of it completely. So annoying.