zokustyle

zokustyle X8 "NOBODY SAID IT WAS EASY" new pics pg21

shit mines got the same noise on light load, aka keeping speed quiet on decel haha

guess im ordering the kinugawa then, so 1jzvvti stock ecu is taking that bitch at 20psi? That has me all hot and bothered, post up a pull when you get the dif back in. I looked on their site, did you pay 665 or did you buy it off ebay?

Its kinda mind blowing the stock map+ecu can read up to 20 psi haha, but ^^ I think it should be less than 600

Zoku, did you use gear marking compound to check the contact point on the teeth ?

Sounds like you need to re-shim the pinion.

hkp I bought mine straight from Kinugawa for $565. Looks like I bought it at the right time, they upped the price to $665.

BUT I actually did find boost cut. Top of 3rd, right around 6k. Probably would be in 4th and 5th too. I'm gonna ween it back to 16 so it'll still have wiggle room to spike a couple pounds in the winter.

Gordon here's my drive side:
04b082b9-316b-4349-bf76-78d66d75721b_zps

and coast:
851c339b-a147-4c53-867a-b48675f71b8c_zps

I didn't have a brush handy when I did this check so it's a pretty goopy, sorry. It's a little toe-heavy on drive but my reading has lead me to believe that's not a bad thing, that the pattern will walk toward heel with load. Coast looks pretty centered and I also read that sometimes you get a better read on the coast on old used gears like this, that the drive side can be pretty sacked out by now. this was a little deep on the ring so I backed off the backlash to .006 but I liked the heel-toe placement drive vs coast so I left the pinion depth alone.

I also did a catch can. I baffled a freddy tank and used some old stainless lines I had from my oil filter relocate.

b30857b7-afa9-4fe4-9237-aad22ffab155_zps

Damn, guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if the price changes. Take a pic of your whole engine, every pic is only a piece of the bay.

Kind of looks too deep on both.

Run thicker lube, like RedLine heavy shock-proof, with the plastic powder mixed in it.

That damn old datsun truck I drive had been run without lube in it, and above 45, it howled pretty good until I added a 3rd of a tube of extreme pressure gear grease (more like road tar in a tube).

looks a lot like the top right, to me:

14273_198_2.jpg

Mine isn't a howl, it's a whirring/knocky noise. I was using 75w90, then moved to 85w140 conventional for this. I'll try out that heavy shockproof stuff.

axles just click when they go out, right? Or can they clunk, too? I haven't changed them and they aren't looking too great.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you had new gears in it.

CV joints can make all sorts of noises, including a growl above 100 (took me a while to trace that one down).

If you look at the insides of a CV joint, it as a set of steel balls, and I have seen one with a ball split in half that would clunk depending how the ball turned.

Ok I'm going to speak up since it doesn't look like anyone else with gear experience is.

First problem, it is never ever a good idea to put used gears from one housing into another housing. It's like trying to put false teeth from one old man into the mouth of another. Reason being is: gears wear IN/ out together as a set in the environment in which they were previously installed. My experience is first hand. I fought this issue with a set of Dana axles for 2 years before I was informed to never try and re-use gears from another housing and expect them to work quietly.

Over time those gears were subjected to other parts wearing out thus causing them to wear a particular way.

Ask a gear expert and he will tell you exactly the same thing.

Gordo, I think I might try out my spare set of axles. I'd think changing all bearings, setting to spec, and a new diff would at least change the noise in some way. This noise is identical to what it was before, I'm starting to think it might be elsewhere along the chain of command. Driveshaft and axles *look* fine in the air but this noise is only brought out on the ground, I can't recreate it on stands.

Ok I guess my input should be chalked up to me being a fucking idiot. I know diffs! I have rebuilt over 100 of them.

You can't use used ring and pinions in a different housing and expect them to not be noisy.

Chill Chris. I know the used gear noises and this isn't a usual one so I'm just checking.

In other news, balanced the rear tires and quelled a lot of vibration in the back of the car. The noise doesn't seem as bad. I'm just gonna change for the heavy redline stuff and keep driving. Other hard thing is that a straight piped 1J has some similar tones as bad diff bearings...

hkp I'll get full bay pics sometime today

In the old days, before RedLine Shock-Proof,

used car dealers would just add a couple of cups of fine sawdust to quiet them down........

Damn.... saw dust, taking me back to grade school. In the book Matilda the dad does that shit at his used car lot.

The Great Car Dealer by Roald Dahl

Matilda's parents owned quite a nice house with three bedrooms upstairs, while on the ground floor there was a dining-room and a living-room and a kitchen. Her father was a dealer in second-hand cars and it seemed he did pretty well at it.

"Sawdust", he would say proudly, "is one of the great secrets of my success. And it costs me nothing. I get it free from the sawmill."

"What do you use it for?" Matilda asked him.

"Ha!" the father said. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"I don't see how sawdust can help you to sell second-hand cars, daddy."

"That's because you're an ignorant little twit," the father said. His speech was never very delicate but Matilda was used to it. She also knew that he liked to boast and she would egg him on shamelessly.

"You must be very clever to find a use for something that costs nothing," she said. "I wish I could do it."

"You couldn't," the father said. "You're too stupid. But I don't mind telling young Mike here about it seeing he'll be joining me in the business one day." Ignoring Matilda, he turned to his son and said, "I'm always glad to buy a car when some fool has been crashing the gears so badly they're all worn out and rattle like mad. I get it cheap. Then all I do is mix a lot of sawdust with the oil in the gear-box and it runs as sweet as a nut."

"How long will it run like that before it starts rattling again?" Matilda asked him.

"Long enough for the buyer to get a good distance away," the father said, grinning. "About a hundred miles."

"But that's dishonest, daddy," Matilda said. "It's cheating."

"No one ever got rich being honest," the father said. "Customers are there to be diddled."

I'm also curious as to how much noise of any type you are going to be able to get rid of. If you are judging based on how the car used to sound before mods then you will never be happy, and I'm sure you are aware of that. But having ANY type of solid mounting, or at least more firm than stock bushings, is going to yield noise from the whole drive-train.

I would only worry about this if it starts to sound like a dog box in your interior or you start noticing a lot of rolling resistance.

The original diff made no noise other than backlash noise when turning low-low speed with XM diff and sub bushings, I'm on the hunt for that and I don't think I'll get it.

Jack, what's this freight train sound? I'm gonna have the car on stands again today, I think I'll try at least checking on my axles if not just replacing.

"Customers are there to be diddled."

Sounds like a good book.

So the solution to the whining noise is to stick a banana in your rear end? :huh:

Oh jzxp, I love you. lol