Sign in to follow this  
yokotavia

x8 EXTENDED WHEEL STUDS WTF

alright so Ive done some searching but it seems that there is some confusion about which studs work.

Found this thread:

http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=2301

which led me to:

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-7718/10002/-1

or

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-7715/10002/-1

looking for stronger/extended studs for the rear of my x8 as I keep breaking cheap aftermarket ones while changing tires

probably the is300 ones...however you can fix the problem by using a torque wrench on your lugs instead of cranking them down like a goon. i used to snap the studs on my civic all the time, til i realized i was over torquing them. the studs stretch, then snap when you try to back the lugs off. so stop that.

i literally hand tighten them, snug them with my electric impact then torque them to 95 Ft Lbs. everytime.

also yeah, I did a little more research and found that IS300 studs will work. so..this thread is pretty much useless

IS300 ARP's. 100-7715

They're longer yes, but just cause they are ARP doesn't mean you can torque them to 95....

Don't use aluminum lugs either. Gave me nothing but problems this year.

here we go.. Id never use aluminum lugnuts. but if I did i wouldnt have problems with breaking studs lol.

and yeah 80ft lbs doesnt seem like enough to me. Im a tech with nissan and I torque lugnuts multiple times throughout the day.

Ill just start carrying a 100ft lb torque stick with me. fuck it

Guest DuaxMachine

I love how techs at places like Discount Tire hammer on wheel nuts with a 3/4" impact, then go back over them with a torque wrench to make sure they are tight enough.

Like that is going to show them that they just streched all your studs.......

That is why I never let anyone install my wheels.

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

Dewayne, you're too used to Nissans lol. Torque spec for Cressidas are 70-80ft lbs. 95 shouldn't kill you're studs but it could be a contributing factor.. I've accidently torqued studs like that to 150 because I didn't notice someone else changed the torque wrench and never had one break. I would guess a combination of over torque and hard driving is whats doing your studs in...

lol...i guess..shit freaks me out at 80 though since i beat the shit out of my car...all the time

but yeah i guess i could do 85 and be ok with it.

ordering arps tonight though. gotta have that racecar look...ya know?

my studs got fucked thanks to some duder who thought 200lbs+ was appropriate. i got a flat and found out the hard way. my little toyota wrench in the car was useless so i had to call AAA and not even they could get the damn fucker off. had to get it towed to the shop that put it on and of course they denied it.

so after they came off and i got some new wheels on, i had a total of 5 studs in the rear just sort of jump ship while driving in a span of 2 weeks after this ordeal. sheared right off. ended up replacing all of the rear studs for "peace of mind"

i torque mine 90 tops. use some of that arp grease if you're worried it's not torqued to spec

I use 300ZX studs or something nissan, haven't had any issues.

If I didn't already have them, I would've gone ARP IS300 studs.

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

Nissan uses a different thread pitch but if you already have stock piles of Nissan lug nuts like me then it's a great idea!

Yup front and rear are the same i have evo studs in the front atm i had to run a slip on spacer to clear the 300zx brakes and the stock studs had like 4 threads engaged... the stock evo studs are about 10mm longer then stock and i got them from a local parts store for like $1 a piece