Sign in to follow this  
kumasan616

starter info for the W58 and the A340E

I was doing some comparisons of part numbers and discovered that the starter for the W58 and the A340E are essentially the same... just thought you would like to know that in case you need a starter like I do ;)

Starter is always the same.

The only starter that *may* differ is the R154 starter.

I seem to recall people saying the flywheel is larger, but not 100% sure if they just meant the clutch area.

M starters are also the same as JZ starters. (close enough)

Starter is always the same.

The only starter that *may* differ is the R154 starter.

I seem to recall people saying the flywheel is larger, but not 100% sure if they just meant the clutch area.

M starters are also the same as JZ starters. (close enough)

Close enough to use???? My starter took a crap on me, have access to a 1jzgte , r154 starter for cheap. Will this work? Also, being on the subject of transmissions, will the a340 work with a 1jzgte? Or no because of bell housing issues? I will eventually be switching to a r154, but want to use the stock cressida tansmission if i can for now.

same shit. been swapped forever and no issues.

S0 r154 starter will work on my stock cressida junk?? Thanks for the fast reply.

It's all the same. W58, R154, and autokraptastic all use the same starter. Well they might not have the same part number, but they work. I've been running my R154 behind my 7M-BHG for the last 6-8months, with the stock cressida starter. Pretty sure the MKII/MKIII Supra have the same starters too.

mine's the original 7M starter off the auto as well. running on a R154 behind a 1J atm

I used 7M automatic cressida starters on a W58 AND R154.

Only difference is on one you need nuts on long bolts and the other threads right into the bellhousing.

Well, if you all insist, Ill use the r154 starter. Now, if i could just get the top starter bolt off without killing everyone in the neighborhood while they sleep, due to frustration from lack of a 10 jointed arm and wrench swinging space.

Well, if you all insist, Ill use the r154 starter. Now, if i could just get the top starter bolt off without killing everyone in the neighborhood while they sleep, due to frustration from lack of a 10 jointed arm and wrench swinging space.

use a super long extension or pull the alternator and use an even longer extension that goes all the way out there. works lol did it twice....bitch i know

mine's the original 7M starter off the auto as well. running on a R154 behind a 1J atm

same: stock 7m-a340 starter. 1jz-R154 now

to use the stock cressida a340 auto trans you need a bell housing from a 2jz auto. is300 gs300 sc300 supra etc etc etc.

Wow, thanks bros, this info has been very helpful. I honestly don't think I would have gotten that top starter bolt off unless I did like you said, take off the alternator, and run like 4 extensions with a U-joint adapter along the side of the block under the intake manifold. I guess I could have pulled the engine, but thats not until next month when I up greyed to 1j.

you better watch out for up grayed. i hear he smacks his girlfriends around if they dont pay up.