Bumpers  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What material?

• Fiber
    • Poly
    • rue's diamond-grade foreskin

Lets start the discussion about making copies of the Mark II Sedan front and rear bumpers. I have these in my possession and I think its time to copy them and sell a few. I know there are a few of us that prefer the stock body over a full kit so this would be a good option I think, worth the time.

Couple questions:

1) Should they be copied in fiberglass or polyurethane?
2) How to copy the turn signals and lower grill inserts; should I try to find a company that will copy the oem lights and lower grill inserts or should the bumper be altered to accept a commonly available and similar shape light and then just mold in the grill inserts?

Filberglass would be the easiest and cheapest option, but polyurethane would def. be more durable. The polyurethane version would obviously require a modified crash bar to support the bumper while the fiberglass version would require nothing.

Just tossing this out there, lets discuss this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian's usually busy with important shit with his life so I'll forward this to him.

Front + Rear
1. Mo
2. Stews'7
3. Demesio
4. DuaxMachine - maybe depending on supplier

Front
1. RoyRogers
2. bwcress
3. Kyle

Rear
1. Skyline13
2. EVIL

Anyone else? If you guys got friends on TC that aren't on here that want these or if any of you unregistered guys are looking at this, sucks for you. You gotta be a registered active member to be a part of this. The more, the cheaper.

Edited by ChriSOL

I want a set, fiberglass I would prefer and the ability to alter the turn signals would be much simpler, than to find oe ones

...the sooner the better :)

Damn, I'd be so down for this considering I want to get a x8 soon. Do you have a molding company in mind already?

Guest THUG

This is a great idea. depending on price. I would love to have an oem back up. My cresta was kitted. sold kit, going to buy new kit, but i would love to have an oem set to throw on for like roadtrips or stuff like that, where a slammed car with kit is out of the question.

Fiberglass would be best. and then just a standard, or easy to find oem signal.

My cresta has signals on the sidemarker so its not a huge concern to me

fiberglass is prob the best option even though flex is nice it's not practical for probably 5 reasons i can't think of.

there has to be a light that can be used that is an upgrade without becoming tacky or out of place.

into this. take your junk to DM and make this happen

Awesome, I would love to have a set. Fiberglass would be a pain for anyone living in Arizona. So much shit that get kicked up, I would be repairing more then enjoying it. Poly all the way...

Since more people want ghetto ass fiberglass copies because they used to be in the 240 club, i'll go ahead and back out of this.

as much as poly would be sick for the flex, the cost and ease of production/use is more do-able with glass. it's also more drifter friendly, and will require a lot less skin in the game. poly is gonna require up front commitment for sure and thus will be a lot harder to generate. and realistically, what's wrong with a fiberglass bumper if it's just meant to look stock.

I'm super down for a front bumper. Could give a fuck about the rear. I'm down for fiberglass or poly either way, but the poly definitely appeals to me more.

Maybe make some glass ones first since it'd be cheaper, and if they sell like hot cakes see where the poly takes you. I'd prob end up buying both

Been waiting for this to happen. Glass is cheaper and easier to fix than poly so for a daily/drift glass is the way to go. Cost is always an issue so as long as the polys don't go for $500 I'd be down.

Hm. I've been looking for a bumper for a while. I guess the deciding factor is it would have to cost considerably less than an OEM imported piece because A) cheaper materials and B) the cost of finding the lights.

I dunno that this could happen. Realistically you'd probably be looking at $4-500 for the fiberglass piece considering the low volume, materials costs and what it would take to motivate someone to spend their time making it.

I'd pay exactly what it would cost to get a JDM bumper imported for a urethane version. I would much rather have that than fiberglass. Rather run my stock USDM shit than fiberglass as a matter of fact.

Well, Brian's been giving me all the minuses of the poly bumpers and I'm starting to lean towards the fiberglass myself as long as the supplier can give him a good price on building thick bumpers that will actually withstand some impact without completely shattering. I've handled S9's body kit and just picking it up the wrong way will make cracking noises. So I'm hoping something about 3-5x thicker than G's fibercrap would actually be appealing to me.

I'll donate front and rear USDM crash bars to help Brian do the R&D to make these work with minimal fuss, but we know nothing goes down with minimal fuss on a Cressida. As for the turn signals, maybe one of our Australian mates can ship us a shit load of turn signals in bulk to keep cost down.

The part numbers for the turn signals are:

LHD Driver side: 81521‑22331

LHD Pass Side: 81511‑22331

These parts are the same for all X chassis with one piece shorty bumpers.

I got a quote out for poly now, I am working on the glass quote tomorrow.

is there an option that's right in the middle between the two? is there a type of frp layup that could produce a more poly~like bumper for near the same cost as frp??

We need some brain storming here.

Guest Jspec603

I vote fiberglass. As stated above, repairs and initial cost would gain favor to the poly. Also agree with Mo, the kit needs to be fairly thickish. Plus with the poly, there is always the chance of it sagging. Not sure if any of you guy have experience with say Xenon body kits. Theirs always seem to sag unless there is bracing everywhere.

Yuuuuuup, I used to have a Xenon valence kit and that shit always sagged. It was bolted down on all the spots, zip tied, and double sided taped. Fuck that shit...