Sign in to follow this  
Guest tylwld86

different diffs

I was looking at getting a true trac celica supra diff for my x7,

http://rabidchimp.com/mkii-supra-82-86/drivetrain/true-trac-limited-slip-differential.html

but I've heard the spline is weak on the 7.5" mk2/x7 diff. Weak enough that my 2jzgte will eat it for breakfast from what my x8 buddy is saying.

i daily my welded withoout issue... either man up and spend then money on a diff or man up and deal with the welded

Well what would you suggest then? I'm open to ideas.

And the 2j isn't in my car yet, still need the money for all the parts I need for the swap.

@Layzorbeemz, the x7 ring and pinion splines are fine... If Robert (I_need_monies) hasn't broken his yet with his 500+ whp 1j and crazy width tires than chances are you're not going to break yours. Just pick up a Weir Solid pinion spacer while you're swapping the truetrac in and you'll be good to go.

There's a thread on celicasupra for what you need to do to swap the truetrac in, if I recall you can reuse most of the bearings and shit except one pair which need to be off a 4runner or something with a 50mm i.d.

Hey So. Cal. Guys where are you getting your x7 diffs welded? I want to start drifting this beast at the track and open diff is gay.

Guest DuaxMachine

The last year of the X7 in Japan, some of them came with an 8" diff, just like the X8 & Mk3 Supra.

But they are rare as hell, I have only ever seen a couple of them in Japan.

I had bought one, but left the housing in Japan, just had the 8" LSD shipped over.

Diff mounted the same way, off the top like all the 7.5" diffs.

That's interesting, I've never heard of that 8" diff. Ive seen the torsen helical differential for sale a couple times but they're usually around $450. Shit, I'd rather buy a 2JZGE for that much.

From my luck with his solid spacer kit for my 7.5" I'd steer clear of all of all of his stuff. I paid him ~60 bucks to make my freshly assembled diff shit out 250 bucks worth of brand new diff bearings. Fun times.

As far as the tru-trac discussion goes, I've got one, it's been solid, taken a ton of abuse, and is still kicking. That says a lot since before that I went through 2 diffs in pretty short order. It does burn one tire if you try to light it up when you're at full lock in hard cornering and I do prefer the feel of a clutch type, but according to most of the guys on celica-supra forums they're the toughest thing you can put in a 7.5" housing. Someone did pop one not long ago, but he was making something like 650 or 700hp out of a 2J and running sub 10 sec 1/4 mile on huge slicks.

Sign in to follow this