Sign in to follow this  
The Chubby Chaser

X90 Hydraulic Handbrake Installed

I'm currently having a CNC Staging Brake installed in my X90.

A few things we've learned so far:

- The X90 brake line fitting thread pitch is M10x1.0

- The CNC staging brake comes with standard 3/16" fittings, so you'll have to get metric M10x1.0 fittings or use 3/16" to M10x1 adapter fittings

- The front port on the master cylinder is for the rear brakes and goes to the front fitting (inlet) on the handbrake

- X90 brake lines are not like anything stateside. I thought they might be like the SC or GS but looked up the diagrams and they're similar but different

- The X90 brake lines are complicated as f*ck due to the traction control and abs

I'll post more and pics later.

Doesn't it come with the fittings? Mine hast showed up yet... I was gonna get like 5 or so feet of hard line, figured that would be plenty for what I needed

Yeah, it came with fittings on the handbrake but I need the thread pitch for the fittings that will go from the master cylinder to the handbrake. I did a bit of research and it looks like the brake fitting thread pitch is M10x1.0

My friend/mechanic called yesterday and said the handbrake is in and works great! The only other problem he ran into was the lines I gave him were too long, so he had to cut and re-flare them. Oh well, I'm glad they were too long rather than too short. He's finishing up a few things like painting the mouting bracket. I should have it today or tomorrow and will post pics.

Whats the angle on the flair ?

got any pics of it installed? According to UPS tracking number, my ASD ebrake will come in today. Just curious to see how you mounted it.

Guest Piner

Yeah I have mixed feelings about Hydro's, I installed one on my E36 and really wasn't that much better than the drum ebrake that I had before. It was just in a better position to pull it. It is a staight up motherfucker to bleed. I feel now if you want to do a hydro right you gotta use seperate rear calipers. The benfits outweigh the extra effort in my mind.

You probably didnt size the cylinder on the hand brake correctly and if running a pass through setup there is no extra steps to bleeding... you just bleed your rear brakes like normal... I feel like people over complicate things sometimes its really a simple concept

Guest Piner

Well im just speaking from experience here. If I still had my e36 I would be going to a dual caliper setup.

Guest MasBoostMike

Did you ever get any pics? I just got mine in and looking for a direction to head with all the lines. Im debating pulling everything and starting over that way Ill completely eliminate ABS and ETC garbage.

there is an unwritten agreement between all manufacturers of hyrdaulic pass-through master cylinders that they all need to have really stupid fitting sizes and not come with the fittings.

the fucked up inlet fitting on the wilwood pass through is scary as fuck. i've never seen the correct fitting that could properly fit it, everyone always runs a sort of next best thing that they have to dig up because wilwood didn't supply the magical unicorn reverse -AN fitting that doesn't exist.

such a giant liability for a brake part.

Guest MasBoostMike

I kept meaning to but the camera on my old phone was super shitty. I have an iPhone now, so I'll snap a few pics.

Nice. IPhone FTW... I got an Android it blows!!!

Pick up this guy for a stupid good price.....http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/hydraulic_handbrake

Guest Gaijin Smash Wayhoff

Dual rear calipers are for pro cars. This setup works fine and some pros still use it. Dual calipers aren't worth it when all you're doing is having fun with friends.

You won't be saying that when the system locks up on you... Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have a problem but I've seen it happen enough on quality single setups that I'll go ahead and have a machine shop fab up a dual caliper bracket.

^I actually will be saying that if/when it does. I maybe do one drift event a month during the season. It's not worth it to spend tons of money on a dual setup when all I'm doing is fucking around with bros and not trying to bust 100+ MPH entries.

Do you drive this car on the road? The last one I saw it happen to was driving on the feeder and hit the foot brake at a stop light and locked the system. By the time they got it pulled of the road the rotors were smoking. But, to each their own. Like I said, you might be one of the lucky ones that never has a problem.

Haha! Fuck no! Thanks. I trust your experience/advice, but I've never heard of that happening. The worst I've heard is seals blowing. I'd think that if running a hydro in-line did that often you'd see it all over the interwebs.

It is weird for as often as I've seen it happen that people don't talk about it more. I don't think people want to admit that their super cool hydro e-brake was a poorly conceived idea. Matt Waldin had his lock up on one of his qualifying runs at Formula D.

Or they might not not talk about it because it's an easy fix like bleeding the system to relieve the pressure. Again, this is not a pro setup. If someone was gonna do FD, I'd probably recommend the dual caliper setup too. The bottom line is you don't spend $1000+ on a setup that is overkill for what you'll be doing.

$1000+ is too much for ANY e-brake set up.. I won't be spending more than $300-$400 total on mine. I'll post it in my build thread when I finally get the fuck out of Dallas and back to my house and car.