Sign in to follow this  
rayray

Starter talk (for 1J/2J/7M)

What Starter you guys using?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What starter is in your car right now?

• Stock 1J starter
    • Early 7M starter (uses through bolt and nut)
    • Late 7M starter (bolt threads into starter)
    • 2J starter (if so, which one?)
    • Push start all the way baby!

so my 1J starter is crapping out... and yes I'm running a relay for the starter already. it helped a little bit... went from not wanting to start at all, to starting sometimes, which isn't gonna cut it.

looking to get a new/used starter (preferably new)

I know a 7M starter is a common replacement for the 1J, just curious as to what everyone else is running on their 1J's... 2J NA starter, early/late model 7M starter, or still running 1J?

as for new or rebuilt starters, where you guys getting yours?

right now i'm leaning towards a 7M starter, as the one in the 7M supra feels like it's got enough juice to turn the world over when i crank that sucker. any thoughts?

Guest THUG

im using my stock 1jz one i believe. It hesitates sometimes but i think its the connections on the solenoid

i was going to ask which starters bolt up?

The 7mge and 7mgte bolt up?

the N/A 2jz bolt up?

I think it will matter to much which one it is, as long as it bolts up

7mge. my car is a 92 so i guess its the late one. no problems and its actually bigger than the 1j one.

however, i have the one that came with my swap in my garage. you want?

jason, know if it ever worked? if u know it works i don't mind pitching a few bucks to get that sucker over here

i believe 7m turbo and non turbo used the same starters, but there is a difference in the two between early and late model.

Guest THUG

i would assume the turbo'd ones would work cause they used a r154 and so did 1jz. So it makes sense to me. I would like to pick up a rebuild kit for my 1jz starter. but if i could find a north american counter part one that works then it will be easier sourcing out and easier to get rebuilt

so the late 7m ones are a direct replacement? by late we are referring to what year?

EDIT: a quick google search told me that 91-92 starter is a direct replacement

Im using my 7m one considering the 1j starter never worked.....Im assuming the 7m is gonna work since it worked when I last started the piece of shit with it.....havent had the 1j up and running yet though

im also a 92

Guest THUG

i wanna just find a rebuild kit for the 1jz one and do it myself while the car is on jack stands lol. anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit

?

I'm too lazy to repost pics from my acient build but ...i used the 91 7mge starter cuz it was indeed very much bigger than the aristo one. And I knew it worked ....better than the 7M. All of them should bolt up, I'd think a 5Mge would too.

i think the quirks with the old vs later 7m starters is that the older one is bigger and sometimes more difficult to install.

1j starters. peices of shit cant rebuild them.

2j starter , fact, works, smaller then 7m , holes are threaded.

7m, really only difference is threaded holes or not, thus having the get longer bolts with nuts.

2j i believe cost a shit fucken ton more. but the 2j and 7m are easy to rebuild as it uses 2 copper contacts and a circular plunger.

ray i has, ill bring it in tommorw. its a 7m one. i think its threaded.

thanks odom, i owe ya!

i'm literally down to the wire haha, my brother comes back and needs a car so i'm giving him my daily for now until he finds something

I got a fairly new starter in the garage i was gonna use on my 5m but i got like 50000 more. U want?

i got one for the time being, just gotta test it and install it. i'll hit u up if i end up needing it

just saw the reply. ill take pics and vid and send them to you if you're in a pinch. i never bench tested it, but its not an issue. if you dont want/need...id just as soon keep it around incase i need it.

no worries jason, the loaner i got from odom has got enough juice to crank over and should hold me over for the time being.

I also noticed upon removing my old starter that it appears to be a 7m starter as well. so i might have lucked out and be able to rebuild this sucker. the fat insulated wire on it is kinda sketch though... as the wires are exposed and pinched. looks like it may have been dropped at some point and the the wire broke its fall.

may be i can take it in as a core, or may be do a rebuild writeup or someshit to make some use of it