Sign in to follow this  
JoeTheHook

1j 2j guys Switching to synthetic?

Toyota aren't in f1...and I kinda doubt they would have used an off the shelf z418 made in the phillippines. Lol

Ot, I generally just grab whatever full synthetic is on sale/cheapest. Fuchs is the usual.

10w40 mobil 1 for the 1jz

15w40 valvoline premium blue for the cummins

5w30 Mobil1 for my 1UZ's

15w50 Shell Rotella for my Cummins ISX

Guest Fidel Cashflo

I ran Rotella 15w40 in my SR, had a lot of friends run it in their SR's also. I noticed that oil burned really fast, like a few days after an oil change, its already black as fuck. I changed it up, ran some sea foam through the tank and intake mani vac line. Ran 15w50 Mobil 1 fully synthetic. I would go 5000 miles between changes and oil never got black, never burned up. It was nice.

I'll be running Castrol Syntec in my 1JZ for sure. 10w40

mobile1 is terrible oil just any1 scratch the idea of ever using that shit

Don't forget the good filter. Most OEM filters are worse than Fram, they buy them by the millions and get the cheapest filter possible. Link for a ton of info on an oil filter study comparing lots of different brands. Pretty awesome really, you can see the "good" filters you've been buying are really pieces of shit. http://minimopar.kni...ers/toyota.html

I use the WIX can get at O'Reilly's which is the same as a NAPA Gold, fantastic filter and good quality, also costs half as much as a K&N or a Mobil 1 and a way better filter. If you go to NAPA or O'Reilly's, ask to look through their WIX filter book and look at the filters by dimensions. I found a filter that has the exact same thread size, gasket dimensions, by pass valve psi rating, and case diameter, but was around 3" longer so it would hold more oil. I'll have to see if I can find the part#, if i find it I'll post it here.

I use Bosch filters. The "TRD" filters the Toyota Dealerships sell are made by Champion Labs, as are the Bosch. They have an anti drain back valve, as well as the Filtech media. Theyre about 5 bucks at any parts store. That + Mobil 15w40 Delvac Super 1300. Ive ran that set up in any track car Ive had without any issue, as well as in my 7.3 diesel.

the oil filter relocator i have that i found at the junkyard uses a big v8 oil filter. gonna look for one of the filters listed on that link.

i was planning on running Mobil Delvac too. still got a leftover jug chillin in the garage. haha.

stock 5m: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51068

stock 7m/2j: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51348

WIX doesn't seem to want to make their Reference Catalog availiable online, bastards. Well these^ links have exact dimensions in them to use when finding a larger filter. I'll have to get my hands on a catalog. Let you know as soon as I do.

nothing wrong with Mobil 1. Always used it for all my JZs.

1. the "bigger" toyota filter is for any V8 (tundra, seq, etc). The fact is that they change part numbers all the time and the oem filters are getting smaller and smaller.

2. Toyota oil filters used to be some of the best in the industry. The lexus V8 filter was the one to get.

my gf's 5SFE drained itself in a few weeks on mobil1 synthetic, oil burned right out of it, none on the dipstick. replaced the oil with conventional valvoline and it hasn't lost a drop for weeks now, always the same level.

i think the motor is a little tired, but still. i wouldn't put that in an older motor. if a motor can hold mobil1 it's obviously sealed really well.

Problem with changing an older motor to sythetic is that synthetic oil molecules are smaller than convenional. The oil can find places to leak from like a sumbitch. Also, synthetic cleans a shit ton better than dino-oil and can create leaks by cleaning out areas that would normally not leak with conventional oil. Results may vary though. I put synthetic in the Cressida and have to add two quarts every once in a while, no leaks though. I also put synthetic 5w-30 in a '72 AMC Javelin and it runs like a top and doesn't consume oil, even when using it as a daily driver for 6 months.

I switched from conventional 10w40 to 15w50 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Also added some stop-smoke shit to be on the safe side with twins. No leaks or smoking here.

^ be careful when using the stop smoke additives. I've seen people seize cams using a heavy oil and stop smoke additives. Most of the stop smoke or stop leak additives have a consistency somewhere around corn syrup. Next time you're at the parts store, pick up a bottle and try to make the "liquid" inside slosh. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 300-400 weight. Putting that in on top of a 15w-50 or a 20w-50 is no bueno. The oil pump isn't designed to flow that thick of an oil. Especially on an OHC engine, the cams are the last stop for oil pressure. Too thick and you'll starve the cam bearings of oil and they will burn up. Not to mention the horsepower loss and mpg loss using a thick ass oil. It's like trying to run on a track vs running in a pool. I was in a bind one time and needed oil, the place only had 20w-50. After putting in 2 quarts and driving through another two tanks of gas, I lost 10 mpg driving the same route as I normally do.