Sign in to follow this  
The Chubby Chaser

Subframe and Diff Bushing Removal

Hey, Guys!

I'm trying to install my solid bushings into my JZX90 subframe and I'm having some issues getting the stock ones out. I was able to get the front subframe bushings out with a prybar and hammer but I'm still trying to figure out how to get the front diff bushings and the rear subframe bushings out.

Thanks for the help!

Use a sawzall to cut throughout the metal ring and be careful not to cut into the actual subframe.

Use a sawzall to cut throughout the metal ring and be careful not to cut into the actual subframe.

I gotcha. I have a sawzall, but i need to get the rubber out first before I can cut the outer metal ring. I tried using the sawzall to cut into the rubber from the top, but it just bounces off. Doh! :P

I used a hammer and screw driver and just went through the rubber in different places until it all fell out

Guest DuaxMachine

Are they not just like the X8 chassis, with 2 half moon outer sleeves?

Sure looks like it in the parts diagram.......

If so, you just need to hammer a sharp pry bar under one upper lip, pry it up aways,

then do the other half.

When you get it up a little, then go back to the first half, and move it some more.

They walk right out.

Are they not just like the X8 chassis, with 2 half moon outer sleeves?

Sure looks like it in the parts diagram.......

If so, you just need to hammer a sharp pry bar under one upper lip, pry it up aways,

then do the other half.

When you get it up a little, then go back to the first half, and move it some more.

They walk right out.

That's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that because I saw so many people lighting them on fire and shit.

i've had 2 friends tell me they got to watch their car burn to the ground. I always wondered what that was like....

^ haha I wired your car, you'll probably find out soon enough

i dunno i used my oxy torch and heated up the ring the rubber sits in then just pushed it out while it was still hot... then just taped the ring out with a punch and hammer... took about 15 min all together and i was working on the floor that day

I updated the OP. Thanks a lot Duax! The prybar and hammer worked like a charm. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rear diff bushings out. Getting the rear subrame bushings out of their mounts/housings is proving to be a pain in the ass. I think I'm gonna have to take them to a shop to be pressed out.

Guest DuaxMachine

I just made up a puller with a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, 2) 1/2" nuts, and a couple of big 1/2" sockets.

One small enough to fit through the hole in the subframe, and one large enough to let the diff bushing slide into it,

and just cranked away.

The bushes slid right out.

Hmmmm.... I do have a dent puller. I wonder if that would fit through the hole(s) and work. I'm gonna try it. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try the punch/chissel/screw driver and big f*ing hammer method again.

I tried the dent puller on the rear diff bushings and it ended up ripping out the rubber, leaving the metal ring behind. Good thing I'm changing them now because one of them was even starting to back itself out of the subframe. Anyways, with the rubber out I had access to the metal ring, so I took a sawzall and cut through it. I nicked the subframe a tiny bit, but not enough to worry about. For future reference, the vibration from the sawzall is enough to loosen them, then you should be able to pry/hammer them out.

I had zero luck trying to get the front diff bushings out. They are really in there, so I'm taking them to a shop today to have them pressed out. Same goes for the rear subframe bushings.

I got a wire wheel and cleaned up the inside of where the front subframe bushings and rear diff bushings were. Then I applied some epoxy to the solid bushings and lightly tapped them in.

Also for future reference, make sure you mark where the two holes on the left rear diff bushing are lined up on the subframe before you remove the old bushing. I had to put the diff back in to line it up the best I could with the new solid bushing.

Anybody have ideas on how to get the front diff bushings out of the pumpkin? I can't press them out. I tried using a puller and that didn't work. I tried a prybar and hammer. I'm at my wits' end. I'm about to have a shop cut them out with a cutting torch.

Neither of those worked. I had to get them burned out with an acetylene torch.

Also, if a bushing won't go in all the way, don't hammer the shit out of it, because you'll end up f*cking up the hole the bolt goes through. Remember folks, even solid aluminum is still soft metal.