Sign in to follow this  
Guest THUG

Turbo - 1jz single turbo boost problem

Guest THUG

K. so took it for a drive. Just installed the turbo and stuff.

Not boosting, not boosting and not boosting. keep driving and it would boost like 0.08 kg/cm2 like super late. couldn't figure it out at all. I switch the connectors on my boost controller (im using a blitz SBC by the way, the older ones)

It starts to boost so im like sweet. I get the instructions on how to adjust boost and all that jazz. I set a bunch of different settings ( 4 spots to fill) and im on my way.

never really floored it that hard. i just starting making boost and i would let off. in one spot i floor it and it went fucking amazing. threw me back in my seat and it was flawless (wasnt that higgh of boost, like .039 kg/cm) I take it easy after that. then try to boost some more and it bogs right down. I lay off the throttle a bit, get back on it just nice and its fine. Try to boost it and it gets that feeling like it wants to, but something is holding it back. then it would spit and backfire like crazy.

I got the impression it was running super rich. Bogs down and spits after i tap the throttle a bit.

I pulled a spark plug. doesn't smell like fuel or anything.

Does my spark plug and gap have an effect on that

right now its a NGK BCR6EGP gapped between .89 and 1.02 mm (0.035 and 0.04 inch)

what plug should i run

Go to a smaller gap like .028ish and also, double check the shaft in the turbo. My 3037s did the exact same thing when it was blown.

Guest THUG

i don't think i drove it on just the wastegate spring cause the boost never went above 0, then i figured out boost controller and it started boosting good, never really going higher that 0.6 kg/cm2

I sure as fuck hope the turbo isn't blown, i don't see how it could e. bought it from buddy and it ran in his car when it was pulled.

check for shaft play or what?

I assume your taking 0.28ish mm lol. Are the plugs i have,good plugs? should i just regap these ones?

.028 Inch = .71mm

I run this gap with 17psi boost. plugs most people use 4644 (bkr7e) or 1095 (bcpr7es)

BKR7E all the way. Except if it's between 5 degrees and -30 C. In really cold weather my car just fouls plugs on tight gapped BKR7E. I was running .028" gap on 15 psi with no problem, gapped them to .025 this year since I'm planning on upping the boost by a pretty good margin.

have you driven it on just the wastegate spring?

^^^^This. Pull the boost control contraption off and run it on just waste gate spring pressure. Make sure the waste gate is holding pressure FIRST. This trouble shoots the problem by eliminating the possibility of a broken/mistuned/misinstalled electronic boost controller.

Guest THUG

well im going to gap my plugs down, cause that needs to be done first apparently lol. This gap is tooo high

The gap on your plugs really wouldn't stop the car from boosting. Yes, the gap is big but running it off the WG spring would be my first trial and error (after checking shaft play).

Guest THUG

I think im going to get new spark plugs for the car. Im still running the BCR6EGP gapped at 0.025

what plug should i be getting. the BKR7E ?

Guest ajsmoke

changeing the plugs solve your problem ?

( I think i need a new set of spark plugs my self )

Sign in to follow this