Cyrious

Midnight Battle Station

Alright, so here it is. My zenki '91 x83 . I've been lurkin' on here for a long time now, and have been building it up properly. I already did an intro a long time ago and didn't want to waste anyone's life with a failure build thread until I had it running. So here she is.

I drove around looking like this for a while, took a trip across Canada, from Saskatoon,Sk, out to Vancouver, Victoria and Tofino, and back, on a 7m-ge. So I will leave that engine at that respect level. I sold it to a friend with a mk2 Supra.

DSC02175.jpg

Styling in downtown Victoria.

DSC02172.jpg

Work VS-SS up front 18x9.5 , 215/40R18

DSC02178-1.jpg

35583_401835868455_511523455_4476085_7705485_n.jpg

Then all of a sudden this..

215969_10150583056395481_659140480_18560405_829754_n.jpg

228594_10150583057050481_659140480_18560419_5801972_n.jpg

.. turned into this

241098_10150271805421418_527516417_9214237_3327778_o.jpg

This is running by the way, Ill put up a video as soon as I upload it onto the computer. Yes those are actual x8 headlight covers from my minty blue parts car. Yeah I know the engine bay is a little dirty, but getting the car on the road is more important at this point.

IMAG0034.jpg

I mocked up my bn sports front to see how it fit over the modified x83 bumper frame. I still have bodywork and paint to do.

IMAG0029.jpg

The tilted short shifter fits great, I know the red boot looks gross, but its just temporary. The w55 is300 should work fine until I go single. R154 is the way of the future. Guage mounting plate also temporary.

I have to give out some props to xcessive mfg for their perfect fitting seat bracket, engine brackets and mounts. Their stuff looks amazing and and works amazing. Also gotta thank Big Shooter for hooking me up with a schmorgasbord of parts on this car including wheels, tein coils to name a few. Also thanks to Jack and Alex for the BN aero.

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

My doom pit. Pending custom 3 inch exhaust with dual tailpipe.

IMAG0035.jpg

I gotta give credit to Guy 'Smiley' on my harness. Runs amazing on the x90 ecu. It was basically pnp except for T5 plug and very minor wiring jobs. Its amazing what him and Aphexero do to our falling apart 20+ year harnesses.

240189_10150596791540481_659140480_18732699_638008_o.jpg

So at this point i'm waiting on a map sensor from Austrailia. I'm about to go and paint up my haggered garage walls and install my fmic. Then I have to switch my front halfshaft to an mx73 so the splines match the w55 and order a w55 clutch slave (as w58 is not compatible). After that get an electric fan, then I should be able to take it out for a test drive and work out the details. My plans for the near future is to install my HY35 holset with a driftmotion header and downpipe kit. Tune my safc, swap out the 440's for 550's, install BN side and rear skirts, and maybe next year a complete paint job and r154 swap.

IMAG0024.jpg

Once all is said and done, I can utilize my extra two doors , the right way.

istockphoto_5416642-young-blond-woman-sitting-in-backseat-of-car.jpg

Sweet not bad keep it up

Yep, Alex's old bn sports aero. I bought his sides and rear as well, since hes moved up to origin and s9 aero. Unfortunately the x81 aero was sold just yesterday to a fellow in Vancouver. I had it all up for sale first on jzxp, 4 months ago and nobody responded to my ads. I'm not sure what side skirts they are, but they are ridiculously rare and oldschool. It all looked really good originally on Cams car I think. I am looking into options for having copies of the bn made, I mentioned it to G from s9, so that may be one option.

your side skirts are actually awesome and I'm really not a fan of bodykits

The good news: Did a mock up of my new used aero. I still need to de-decal , sand , glass and paint them.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

Ok so that's what a bn sports kit looks like on a Cressida.

The bad news: is300 w55 swaps on an mx83 are useless, don't even bother its a waste of time and money. Shifter sits too far backwards, so you either have to cut a rank hole just in front of the e brake, or sit your engine far as fuck forwards and not have a long enough driveshaft. Not to mention the is300 is the same as an x73, in that it is a 21 spline as compared to a typical 23 for x83. I called every drive shaft shop in town and they don't have metric anything, and to make a long story short, it would cost me 700 hundred bucks worth of machining to make my custom 55&13/16ths " drive-shaft. So before I waste any more money i'm going to ditch the whole POS and get an r154 and use my supra shaft, spend money on a bell housing and all the hardware. I thought I was going to be on the road in a week, looks like it will be a few more months now.

Does anyone have any idea why my shit isn't lining up? Are custom drive shafts typical to a w55/8 swap?

Just get the shifter housing off of a mk3 w58 and put it on your tranny... you probably have the shifter housing thats meant to work with na mk4 or like an sc300

Unfortunately I sold the original x81 aero in a mad dash to buy alex's kit. I wish i had it for daily driving/ sleeping on people. I decided i'm going to sell the w55 to a soarer buddy and go all out with an r154, thus solving the drive shaft/ shifter issue. It will put me back on my launch date to mid fall but whatever, its proper. No point in going with an inferior transmission if I plan on going single and tuning for 400+ hp.

I am now officially single. Moving on.

I bashed out my transmission tunnel and hoisted the front of my engine up so the rear would be angled down. The idea was to get my bell housing to clear the tunnel when I mate it. The transmission fitment isn't the issue now. The problem now is that I cant get the transmission to mate. Its like the input shaft is hitting the splines on the clutch disk, or maybe the end of the shaft wont go in the pilot bearing.

Now I know that this is far easier with the engine out and on the ground, but I just really don't feel like pulling my running engine out of the bay again. Has anyone done it my way before, and is it sometimes tricky to get to go in? My arms are beat and i'm going to try again on the weekend with an extra buddy.

I'll post some pictures soon.

please send that bumper to get it copied. The world needs this!

Tell me something I don't know, I'm working with a local company to have it copied. Right now I'm more concerned with making my car drivable.

Do what we did turn the transmission nearly upside down stick in and turn it upright should work then as that's what we did to get mine in instead of taking the motor out

Update:

So I managed to get my r154 on. Turns out that the release hub I had on my pressure plate had some sort of sleeve inside of it that wasn't the right size. It was causing them to not mate. So just a tip to everyone, test fit all of your components prior to assembling (duh). Also make sure the springs on the disk are facing the transmission. ( Not that I made that mistake, but some people do.) I filled it up with Red line MT-90. The supra front drive shaft and everything bolted up and lined up perfectly. DO NOT ever use a w55 from an is300. It's a never ending nightmare to try and make it work.

I also have my hy35 holset on with a cx racing t4 manifold and 46mm waste gate (12psi). It sounds like a mighty virgin. I built Teflon braided stainless feed and drain lines. I'm going to try and do as much plumbing with JIC stainless as I can, because I get it discounted.

IMG034.jpg

The car is ready to drive, except for one problem. I cant get the clutch to release all the way. It releases enough to slip into 3rd and 4th but no 1st or 2nd. I've tried extending the push rod on the master as well as tried putting a socket over the push rod on the slave. I finally decided that its because the mk3 pedal is a p.o.s. and it makes the firewall flex, and I lose my travel. Tomorrow I think I will try to weld a tab onto the top of the bracket and try to bolt it somewhere to prevent it from flexing. I cant seem to find a mk 2 pedal locally so I have to improvise.

Having a brake bleeder like this makes everything sooo easy.

IMG044.jpg

-Drift motion braided clutch line

-New slave

-New OEM Toyota flywheel

-Action 6 puck disk

-OEM Pressure plate that I found completely rusty in a junkyard. After sand blasting it, it looked like new, the rust didn't wear away any of the surfaces. So we tested its holding pressure to confirm that its good and it was. So then I decided to paint it yellow, to trick people into thinking its an A.C.T.

IMG043.jpg

Definition of ghetto rigging.

IMG040.jpg

Now here's my question of the month. When you put spacers on the bracket to space the ma70 pedal further from the firewall, what is generally done to make the studs longer and how do they come out of the master?

I'm so close to driving it, it's making me sick.

Guest THUG

are you sure the clutch isn't disengaging because you don't have the proper pressure plate mated to the 6 puck clutch disk?

I really hope not, but I am basing my setup off of pretty solid info;

http://store.driftmo...uckr154disk.php

"Action 6 puck ceramic/metallic sprung disk for R154 transmission. Best when used with the Action upgraded pressure plate, but will also offer more hp/tq holding power when used with a stock PP."

I also can visually see the p.p. lifting off of the disk, but it might not be quite enough to let it slip into 1st or 2nd. It works normal in 3rd and 4th.

I'm assuming by all the yellow in your bay you get a hookup on e85 grade hose too?

Are you sure the tranny you have is good?