peptoslide

Steering - I want to go backwards

I don't really have a firm grasp on what you're talking about here, but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you're a fucking retard for thinking s13 parts are going to fit the x8. But I don't really give a shit enough to figure out exactly what you're doing and then tell you why you're wrong, so totally, sounds good man, try it out and let us know how it goes. God speed and good luck.

That is a failure waiting to happen.

Keep the number of a good tow service in the car, you will need them.

Bumping this archaic thread because I feel like the reman "x7" rack I got is actually an x8 rack

Is there an easy way to tell?

I went through this whole thread, It looks like both are really close to 3.5 lock to lock. and they measure about the same.

After I crashed my car I ordered a reman rack from orielly's and added xm arms to my car, so I feel like I should have the same if not more angle then my last car, but I feel like I have less.

My rack is centered. from center i have ~1.75 turns out both ways. I hit the XM stoppers with my stock knuckles. If I loosen the stoppers the rack overcenters have just a little more turning. My old setup I wouldn't even get to the full 3.5 from lock to lock before either my tierods would hit the stock x8 arms or the tires would it the inside well. Neither of which is happening this time.

My setup now is:

x7 rack (I think really starting to think they gave me an x8 one?)

x8 XM arms (extended out ~6 turns on the outter 3 on the inner hiem)

xm heim outers

x8 inners (I believe since they are a little too long)

stock x8 knuckles

At this point I definitely want to get the normal ackerman xm knuckles, but again I feel like something is going wrong and I should have at least a little more angle even before the knuckles.

Pictures for reference:

KKf4zG6.jpg

OaAzq8h.jpg

Really blurry picture showing that the rack is compressed all the way:

otTUODR.jpg

Pictures from old setup with stock x8 arms for comparison (and again I'm pretty sure I was hitting rail not end of the my rack):

IMG140.jpg

IMG138.jpg

and with the exact same wheels/tires that I tested with last night (excuse the 2009 picture with faggy filter)

SatDec12175511AmericaAdak2009.jpg

IMG00026.jpg

Ya I know I'm retarded but steering geometry never makes sense to me. I'm sure not have a real alignment could contribute but not THIS much.

Thanks in advance

get a better pic of that rack, the x7 one is much thinner than the x8. i dont know how you are getting such a small amount of angle out of those knuckles. that looks like less than stock. as for the overcentering you may have to move the rack forward in the subframe or get the rack offset spacers.

^^ Its still x8 stock knuckles. And I'm not worried about overcentering I was just saying that its not the stoppers that are the problem. I'll try and snap a better picture of the rack today. I'm pretty sure I have the right bushings for an x7 rack on an x8 cross member, and it was harder than normal to install.

Sadly I already threw away my other rack so comparing it is out of the question.

Car is so mixed matched already, I don't even know anymore haha

These are aus spec so could be different to your LHD shizz, but heres a bit of datas.

MX73 late model with PPS
Rack length 635mm
Stock travel with standard tie rods 159mm

Total travel available 175mm with OEM rods
Turns lock to lock at total travel 3 3/4
Turns lock to lock with standard tie rods 3 1/4

MX83, S2 (from factory without steering damper - don't think USDM came like that)
Rack length 615mm
Stock travel wit standard tie rods 138mm
Total travel available (using only 6mm lock washer per side as any more will blow seals) 150mm
Turns lock to lock w/standard tie rods 3 3/5

Thanks for the specs!

I ended up just being stupid, I moved the stoppers.

This is now where I sit with still stock knuckles right at the point of where it starts to over center and have to be forced back.

DmuObIq.jpg

I also ended up ordering the reduced(but not zero) ackerman knuckles. I'm gonna see if I can pull my track back in a little bit and get more angle, but I image I will have no idea until I get tires on. Plus my wheels are such bitch sizing up front

More random data to add to the thread. Recently looking for longer outers and my buddy was able to help me find legacy ones which are ~3 inchs longer (way too long). But they are threaded all the way, and more or less same endshaft (what ever you call the par that goes through the knuckle) pitch. is300 are not as long, but aren't also threaded the whole length as they have a bend in them.

Picture for comparison against OEM

GJfq9zK.jpg

I think i'm running the same setup on my x83. I installed an rebuilt x7 steering rack (have no clue if its really an x7). I made my own tie rod ends and cut down a metric to standard hex tube since it was too long. The inner tie rods are stock and I'm using the x83 steering arm. This is what mines look like. The inside tire rubs the inner wheel well slightly. I guess I'm happy with the angle but need more camber since I roll over horribly.

aCO0Xn7.jpg

SKvJ963.jpg

NDOiHP6.jpg

More random data to add to the thread. Recently looking for longer outers and my buddy was able to help me find legacy ones which are ~3 inchs longer (way too long). But they are threaded all the way, and more or less same endshaft (what ever you call the par that goes through the knuckle) pitch. is300 are not as long, but aren't also threaded the whole length as they have a bend in them.

Picture for comparison against OEM

looks pretty good, your RCAs have to be the smallestt ones I have ever seen haha.

But if you are rubbing on the inside and you need more camber you should maybe consider picking up or building some adjustable arms. as they will give you more track and more camber solve both your issues in 1 go.

Sorry for big pictures CBF Resizing, Anyway PIC TO BIG DIDNT LOOK. 

Taxi,AE86 PS knuckle,Taxi,  XM Knuckle 

123102086_10164601246620387_6519711767762354663_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&cb=846ca55b-311e05c7&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=yHNso7kfmFsAX8wgHXH&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=4f5563dfbfd8894a6b1f08e6a0ef8624&oe=5FE2CE9B121453306_10164530318920387_9205284587802877575_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=CjoayC92NHAAX-kDp0a&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=9c20e82b380a4486d776316e0de5094f&oe=5FE47F3D