peptoslide

Steering - I want to go backwards

Solid bushes for rack?

im thinking about getting some made. would anyone rather offset ones? or just normal ones and mod cross member?

Found my old stock bush.... so i dont have to strip mine apart

Down side is im going to design them for X7 conversions. as lets face it if your going all out for angle your going to swap racks

Going to get my Cross member modified to. Will take some pictures will offer the service for aussies guys if it turns out good on a exchange rate if not oh well.

Guest zombieslider

results? I mean i dont see the point in going s13 with about the same to less work to just heim joint your own.

Pretty much the same amount of geometry change as those bolt on battle version arms for 86s etc. I doubt most of us would notice any negatives from it.
My later design...

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/bowlsclubboy/?action=view&current=c62736a7.jpg

Guest zombieslider

ya only its not a heim joint and just some rubber bolted on.......

well i was asking because some ppl were saying they were having trouble hitting their stock arms but not s13 but stock x8 is kinked in which just seems like it would be more clearence to me but i guess it depends on where you mount the s13s

Guest swim

x8 crossmember

DSC03343.jpg

s14 crossmember

dfit_5.jpg

looks like, as I suspected, the s-chassis rack mounts way more forward than the x8 rack does, and looking at the crossmembers, it'd be hard to get the rack pushed as far forward as you can on an s-chassis because of how far our crossmember kinks backwards.

since people have already swapped to s14 rack on x8's for slightly better ratio and travel, I think I'm going to measure the width difference between the mounts on the two crossmembers and see if I can't find a way to get them to swap.. if I can get an s14 rack and crossmember into my x8, it'd for sure alleviate my overcentering issues.

actually, if anyone has the motor pulled from their x8, and can measure the width between the two rear bolts for the crossmember, and the length from the rear bolts to the firewall, it'd be hella helpful.

Guest swim

if the holes are close and I just need to drill four new holes through the rails and drop the nissan brackets through and bolt up the s14 crossmember, that'd be the way to do it. if not, then yeah, custom x-member or mod the stock one a bunch

Guest THUG

any more info on the s14 crossmember?

I wish i had easy access to an x7 rack. But i would need a RHD x7 rack. little harder to find

Guest zombieslider

have you ever thought of just buying some offset rack spacers for an s-chassis?

Guest ROBAPHENT

One of the aussie members is running a S14 Cross member mounts

All that was done was chop out old X8 mounts weld in S14 mounts job done.

Guest THUG

I was just going to ask if anyone was running offset rack spacers like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4130-high-tensile-offset-steering-rack-extenders-/261147525553?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccd9b01b1

Im not sure yet if i need them, as im not by my car and i'll be picking up some XM knuckles to try. But as of now, my tie rod hits the LCA, thats what stops my angle. Instead of notching them out, i was looking at the offset spacers.

But from how they are used, it looks like they will still blow the X8 rack cause it hates spacers.

looks like notching the LCA is the way to go? Like this

85623573.jpg

Guest Mitto

Thats what I'll be doing.

Avoid any spacer with the X8 rack, everyone who's tried them has blown their rack.

Extending LCA's by 20mm and notching.

Dont really want to fork out for XM lca's.

Guest THUG

i'll have to measure my LCA cause i don't think its factory. i know the s13 ones are 10mm longer, but does anyone know the length of an x8 one?

i already have NRCA so i don't think i want to go even wider with a longer LCA. My front is already wider than the rear as it is

Guest ROBAPHENT

It is in this thread im pretty sure near the start.

dsc00392smalltp5.jpg

s13vsmx62taperny6.gif

susp-arms-6.jpg

anyway mx83 length here

jzxupdates008gr4.jpg

jzxupdates010vi9.jpg

Guest THUG

ive read through the whole thread and didn't find offical numbers. so thank you for those pictures and info.

Guest Tyler

just make rack spacers to "move" the rack. mine cost me 10 dollars total at a machine shop.

68478_10151031978986846_1893619485_n.jpg