Sign in to follow this  
Gibbs

Rear wheel bearing

Has any1 changed there rear wheel bearings on the x8? Are they pressed in or what? Trying to see what's up with it before I start tackling it

yeah just dont leave them in for more than a day or so they can begin to rust. they arent bad but, they are expensive. for a wheel bearing,.

Bollox. I've to get this done on my X81 this week. ive got the bearing in, picking it up in the morning. Ive done easy wheel bearings in the past but will this be a shit of a job? I guess I need to bring it to a machine shop to get it pressed in or is there any other way?

Any tips on this job would be much appreciated!

same as some corolla fronts, i used a big steel bar and a bottle jack and pressed it into my roof truss.... the roof lifted before the bearing went it.... go to a mechanic lol

same as some corolla fronts, i used a big steel bar and a bottle jack and pressed it into my roof truss.... the roof lifted before the bearing went it.... go to a mechanic lol

I actually got it with the right sized punch and a hammer, to get the old one out weld around the outer race of the bearing it will pretty much fall oout, then freeze the dick off the bearing and tap it in should work... just dont try my first idea

lol, cheers man. I have a friend with a press at his shop ill get him to press it in so!

Thanks again for the advice

Oh yea, is there a torque setting for tightening the nut on the hub? Or just hang out of it?

i just hung off mine, but id google it if i was you lol, being a single peice bearing its nothing like a two peice where if its too tight the wheel wont turn..

I went to the jyard and just got another hub was much easier and didn't make my car be down waiting for it to be pressed out

Any update on this? Did you guys finally change the bearing? I am planning to both front and rear?

If anyone already did please provide some more info. At O Riley they sell the rear assembly. Its expensive too.